Thread poster: Lydie Parisot
Natasha Ziada (X)
Natasha Ziada (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 23:57
English to Dutch
+ ...
Some questions (slightly off-topic) Mar 30, 2017

This is something I have been wondering about, having only recently started working as a freelance translator: 1) What do you find is generally the agency's response when your and their payment terms are not in line (e.g. your terms are 30 days, theirs 60)? Do they ever budge? 2) How do you proceed from there if you can't come to an agreement, do you make an exception for them or is it a deal-breaker? ('You' in this case being anyone who has dealt with situations like these and is kind enough to... See more
This is something I have been wondering about, having only recently started working as a freelance translator: 1) What do you find is generally the agency's response when your and their payment terms are not in line (e.g. your terms are 30 days, theirs 60)? Do they ever budge? 2) How do you proceed from there if you can't come to an agreement, do you make an exception for them or is it a deal-breaker? ('You' in this case being anyone who has dealt with situations like these and is kind enough to answer)

Sonia Hill wrote:

I always mention my required method of payment and state that invoices are to be paid within 30 days. I think that's perfectly normal and it's best to be clear about this from the start, otherwise you might find later on in the process that the agency will only pay by cheque and after 90 days.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
@Natasha Mar 30, 2017

Natasha Ziada wrote:

This is something I have been wondering about, having only recently started working as a freelance translator: 1) What do you find is generally the agency's response when your and their payment terms are not in line (e.g. your terms are 30 days, theirs 60)? Do they ever budge? 2) How do you proceed from there if you can't come to an agreement, do you make an exception for them or is it a deal-breaker?

If it's a big agency I wouldn't worry about it. It's not worth the risk of putting them offside before you've even started working for them. Their systems can be pretty inflexible.

Smaller agencies you want to be more careful with because they are more likely to stiff you. But they don't have global systems and so can be more flexible with payment terms.

Once you're established you can be an awkward sod like me and start playing hardball, and winning, but they have to need you for that to work. And it doesn't always...

Natasha Ziada (X)
Natasha Ziada (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 23:57
English to Dutch
+ ...
Thanks Chris Mar 30, 2017

For sharing your wisdom. It's just that from my experience working in companies (not translation related) that they would almost always enforce their own payment terms. As their invoicing systems were set up that way and their volumes so high, it would simply be undoable to use a case-by-case approach. Which leaves me wondering how much use it is for us 'mere' translators to specify our payment terms when quoting.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

odd remark about price quote content

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »