Converting TMs and glossaries between CATs
Thread poster: Louise TAYLOR
Louise TAYLOR
Louise TAYLOR  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:57
French to English
Feb 2, 2017

This might have been asked before but I can't find it.

I use a number of CATs depending on the client. The two I use the most often are SDL Trados (V 2017) and Wordfast (anywhere). To convert Wordfast glossaries and TMs is fairly easy and I can pull them into Trados. The other way round is much more complex. I haven't yet found a simple tool that will do this.

I wonder if other people use more than one CAT and have a simple way of managing TMs and glossaries. Could you
... See more
This might have been asked before but I can't find it.

I use a number of CATs depending on the client. The two I use the most often are SDL Trados (V 2017) and Wordfast (anywhere). To convert Wordfast glossaries and TMs is fairly easy and I can pull them into Trados. The other way round is much more complex. I haven't yet found a simple tool that will do this.

I wonder if other people use more than one CAT and have a simple way of managing TMs and glossaries. Could you give me some advice?

Thank you

Louise
Collapse

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:57
English to Spanish
TMX Feb 2, 2017

Use TMX format to exchange translation memory data between tools. It was designed precisely for that.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:57
English to German
How? Feb 2, 2017

Rodolfo Raya wrote:

Use TMX format to exchange translation memory data between tools. It was designed precisely for that.

Regards,
Rodolfo

How do you do that?

I think I tried before with 'save as' but it didn't work?

Louise TAYLOR
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
TMX files cannot upload into Wordfast Feb 2, 2017

Thank you Rodolofo

If only it were that easy:)

If you open Wordfast glossary management you will see that it will not accept TMX files so the TMX has to be converted to txt or xls etc.

Any other ideas?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Converting... Feb 2, 2017

Louise TAYLOR wrote:
I wonder if other people use more than one CAT and have a simple way of managing TMs and glossaries.

I chose one format to be the "main" format, and I convert all other formats to that format, if necessary. Sometimes it isn't necessary. But the TMs and glossaries that I update continuously are kept in the chosen format... which for me is WFC format.

To convert WF TM for any other CAT tool, convert it to TMX. WFC can do this itself, but I prefer to use Odent's WfConverter. For converting Trados 2007 TMs, I use Trados to convert to TMX, and then I use Odent's tool to convert to WF TM. For converting Trados 2009+ TMs, I actually use Van Nellen's converter. I rarely get TBX files, and when I do, I just figure out how to convert it manually each time (i.e. the Notepad method).

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
WFC can read and write TMX Feb 2, 2017

Louise TAYLOR wrote:
If you open Wordfast glossary management you will see that it will not accept TMX files, so the TMX has to be converted to txt or xls etc.

TMX is a TM format, not a glossary format. If you want to convert a TMX file to a glossary, first convert it to a WF TM format, and then open it in Excel and remove extraneous columns. WFC can read TMX files, but you have to adjust the file-type dropdown list in the file-open dialog.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:57
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Huh? Feb 2, 2017

Samuel Murray wrote:

TMX is a TM format, not a glossary format.

Tell that to CafeTran users

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Glossary Plugin & Glossary Converter Feb 2, 2017

Hello Louise,
for your purposes of inter-compatibility of glossaries you can easily download these 2 programs to use in Trados Studio.

http://www.cerebus.de/glossaryconverter/

You will then be able to export/import any Excel or tab-separated file that can be used in Trados directly or imported in other CAT tools. Even when using Trados alone these tools are very useful because you can create a new Termbase very fast without having to handle MultiTerm.

esperantisto wrote:

Tell that to CafeTran users

CafeTran Espresso is the most flexible CAT tool in this regard and it handles databases and glossaries in the most easy way IMO. TMX files for translation memories can be imported directly in a project, and glossaries are in UTF-8 text format and you can customize separators for the expressions, the default is ; . Oh, and: Doesn't the Wordfast format consist of TXML files? You can import these directly in CafeTran and start working...Same for SDLXLIFF files.

Mike

[Edited at 2017-02-02 23:04 GMT]

Louise TAYLOR
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 3, 2017

Thank you all for your helpful comments and suggestions of tools that will help me convert my TMs and glossaries.

I used the method suggested by MikeTrans to convert one termbase and uploaded it into Wordfast with no problems I will have a look at CafeTran Expresso when I have some time.

The tools you have suggested, Samuel, also look very interesting and certainly worth a further look. Anything that he
... See more
Thank you all for your helpful comments and suggestions of tools that will help me convert my TMs and glossaries.

I used the method suggested by MikeTrans to convert one termbase and uploaded it into Wordfast with no problems I will have a look at CafeTran Expresso when I have some time.

The tools you have suggested, Samuel, also look very interesting and certainly worth a further look. Anything that helps streamline the process.

Best wishes

Louise
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:57
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I beg to differ… Feb 3, 2017

MikeTrans wrote:

CafeTran Espresso is the most flexible CAT tool in this regard and it handles databases and glossaries in the most easy way IMO. TMX files for translation memories can be imported directly in a project,

In OmegaT you don’t even need to import. Just add TM files to the project’s TM directory.

and glossaries are in UTF-8 text format

Same in OmegaT plus TBX supported.

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
No need to beg ... Feb 3, 2017

esperantisto wrote:

MikeTrans wrote:

CafeTran Espresso is the most flexible CAT tool in this regard and it handles databases and glossaries in the most easy way IMO. TMX files for translation memories can be imported directly in a project,

In OmegaT you don’t even need to import. Just add TM files to the project’s TM directory.

and glossaries are in UTF-8 text format

Same in OmegaT plus TBX supported.

Same in CafeTran, Esperantisto, "TMX files for translation memories can be imported directly in a project" should read: TMX files for translation memories can be included directly in a project, without any import.

[Edited at 2017-02-03 10:01 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TMX, Cafetran and glossaries Feb 3, 2017

esperantisto wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:

Tell that to CafeTran users (-:

The fact that a CAT tool is able to use a TM as a glossary does not make it a glossary format. There is no comment field in TMX (and although it is possible to add Notes to TMX entries, there is no standardised way of using them for glossary purposes), and no other word-related fields (e.g. parts of speech, antonyms, etc.) either.

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Good thing is ... Feb 3, 2017

Samuel Murray wrote:

esperantisto wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:

The fact that a CAT tool is able to use a TM as a glossary does not make it a glossary format. There is no comment field in TMX (and although it is possible to add Notes to TMX entries, there is no standardised way of using them for glossary purposes), and no other word-related fields (e.g. parts of speech, antonyms, etc.) either.

Good thing is that CafeTran doesn't force you to use TMX files for term storage. I never used them for that: I use glossaries.

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
You can save a TMX memory to a glossary with CT Feb 3, 2017

Samuel Murray wrote:

esperantisto wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:

Maybe Igor has added this feature only recently, but there is a menu choice where you can save a TMX memory into a glossary; I haven't used this yet because not necessary, but it's good to know that it's there. Prior of CT I have used Olifant or Hearsome TMX Editor (both are TMX Managers) to carry out this and convert between TMX / Excel / tab-separated text.
Fact is, if you have any sort of tab-separated text, in text format or Excel tables, then you will have a memory to work in CT. TMX files can be changed into tab-separated text so you can edit easily and review a memory (but even for that there are special functions in CT, so no need to convert, you only lose time). And the contrary is also true: If you have TMX files you can convert them to tab-text for a glossary.

Editing a Glossary in CT is a piece of cake, it cannot get easier: Open with any text editor and just edit the header lines to adapt the content of the different columns, or apply some regex for hardcore recognition cases with prefixes, it's all up to you.

Mike

[Edited at 2017-02-03 14:40 GMT]

Louise TAYLOR
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
problem with sdlxliff to TMXL Feb 6, 2017

Thanks again with all your help so far. I am almost bi CAT.

One further issue arose when I imported an sdlxliff file into Wordfast and then exported a tmxl. I had run Transcheck and it looked fine. The extension for the output was sdlxliff.tmxl and it was listed as a tmxl file. So all looked fine.

However my client couldn't use the file. It could not be uploaded into the project management system at their end.

Does anyone know what could fix this?
... See more
Thanks again with all your help so far. I am almost bi CAT.

One further issue arose when I imported an sdlxliff file into Wordfast and then exported a tmxl. I had run Transcheck and it looked fine. The extension for the output was sdlxliff.tmxl and it was listed as a tmxl file. So all looked fine.

However my client couldn't use the file. It could not be uploaded into the project management system at their end.

Does anyone know what could fix this?

Thank you

BTW I have downloaded CafeTran Espresso to give that a try. Maybe I will be tri CAT

[Edited at 2017-02-06 10:40 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting TMs and glossaries between CATs

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »