Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Count it into your fee next time Feb 19, 2017

Zhoudan wrote:

如题
Caroline717 wrote:

有的翻译公司,连PayPal的费用还得让我支付。她也没说,反正每次直接就扣了。有的翻译公司人家就自己支付PayPal的费用。

That's what I do - I just add an automatic 4% to my quoted fee.

For my receiving country (Canada), the fee charged is 3.9% so I just round it up to 4.

Caroline717
Caroline717
Canada
Local time: 02:37
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
不用攒着了 Feb 19, 2017

谢谢Rita! 按照百分比收费的话,倒是不用攒着了,反正总额在那里。

Caroline717
Caroline717
Canada
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
有免费的付款方式吗? Feb 19, 2017

3.9%,也不少。不知道有免费的付款方式吗。

Preston Decker
Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:37
Chinese to English
Check/bank transfer Feb 20, 2017

Caroline717 wrote:

3.9%,也不少。不知道有免费的付款方式吗。

Are checks frequently used in the country that you're based in? If so, it's the best payment method for domestic clients (I try to get all of my US clients to pay by check). For Chinese clients, bank transfers are free, but that is only helpful if you maintain bank accounts in China and go back frequently enough to use the money and/or take it back to your home country with you.

Unfortunately I'm not aware of any non-fee payment methods for international payments.

As a point of reference, my partner and I have fees deducted for about half of our payments at the moment.

[Edited at 2017-02-20 21:49 GMT]

Caroline717
Caroline717
Canada
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
非华裔译者 Feb 20, 2017

谢谢Preston!哦,难得在这里见到非华裔译者^ ^

哦,想起来,有时支票也是需要购买的。

[修改时间: 2017-02-20 20:12 GMT]

Sharon Toh, MITI MCIL
Sharon Toh, MITI MCIL
Singapore
Local time: 17:37
Member (2009)
Chinese to English
+ ...
For your reference Feb 21, 2017

I have a standard term that you may want to refer to. Below is taken from my Services Pricing Guide (and I always ask clients to read this section whenever I quote them for my services):

Payment Related Charges

I require all payment-related charges, irrespective of the payment method used, to be paid in full. In other words, the net amount received in my account should be exactly the amount billed in whatever currency without any fees deducted.

In the case of payment by PayPal, the transaction fee to be added on top of the amount billed will be automatically calculated based on the prevailing rates and reflected on my invoices. PayPal fees vary depending on the funding source. It generally doesn’t exceed 5%, though. Please refer to the Fees section of PayPal's web site for more information.

If for whatever reason this term cannot be met, then I would have to charge a higher rate to compensate for the loss incurred (so it actually comes to the same).

That said, as someone else already mentioned earlier, PayPal deducts fees from the recipient by default. So if you don't have such arrangements in place, you'll be paying the fees. You have to either make your client agree to pay the fees as calculated or quote them higher to make up for the fees incurred.

All my clients paying by PayPal are either paying for the fees (either based on the calculated amount reflected on my invoices or using a method of PayPal payment available to certain users allowing the sender to choose to pay the fees) or being charged higher rates. The former accounts for the majority.

[Edited at 2017-02-21 08:07 GMT]

Preston Decker
Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:37
Chinese to English
Checks Feb 21, 2017

Caroline717 wrote:

谢谢Preston!哦,难得在这里见到非华裔译者^ ^

哦,想起来,有时支票也是需要购买的。

[修改时间: 2017-02-20 20:12 GMT]

My pleasure! In the US, checks only cost a few cents each, and the sender has to purchase them of course, so there is no fee to the recipient. (but perhaps this is different elsewhere?)

Caroline717
Caroline717
Canada
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
预先说好 Feb 23, 2017

谢谢Sharon! 看来有时得预先说好。

Caroline717
Caroline717
Canada
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
$1一张支票 Feb 23, 2017

@Preston 加拿大TD银行的支票差不多$1一张。

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

有的翻译公司,连PayPal的费用还得让我支付

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »