Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Why is Passolo three times the price of Catalyst?
Thread poster: Shmuel Pfeifel
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:16
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
software strings in context & resizing or re-organising UI elements Aug 13, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:
So my question is this: what are they good at, and is there anything I am missing, which they really are needed for? ... I currently translate everything in CafeTran.

CafeTran can't show you the software strings in context (cf the "split view" in Catalys), and with CafeTran you can't resize or re-organise the UI elements that you're translating the text for. If you use CafeTran for software translation, then you use the "blind translation" method of localisation, whereby both client and translator can't be 100% sure that the translations are suitable until the product is actually beta tested in the other language.

I also have no actual experience with either tool, but the Catalyst video impresses me more than the Passolo video. Passolo appears to be more mouse intensive than Catalyst and it would seem that you can only see the context UI in revision mode, not during translation (is that correct?).

Thanks for the clear answer, Samuel. So that's what all the fuss is about. It does sound pretty cool, and I suppose I will have to have another look at Catalyst when I have a moment.

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 05:16
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Passolo's WYSIWYG Editor Aug 13, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

I also have no actual experience with either tool, but the Catalyst video impresses me more than the Passolo video. Passolo appears to be more mouse intensive than Catalyst and it would seem that you can only see the context UI in revision mode, not during translation (is that correct?).

I beg to differ. The very few discussions on the subject I have participated in show that the consensus among the people who have worked with both tools seems to consider Passolo to be more powerful than Catalyst for their intended scope. And yes, all the current Passolo editions (the free Translator Edition also) include the WYSIWYG Editor for resizing and modifying dialogues and menus during the translation process.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Thanks for the info! Aug 13, 2015

Jorge Payan wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

I beg to differ. The very few discussions on the subject I have participated in show that the consensus among the people who have worked with both tools seems to consider Passolo to be more powerful than Catalyst for their intended scope. And yes, all the current Passolo editions (the free Translator Edition also) include the WYSIWYG Editor for resizing and modifying dialogues and menus during the translation process.

OK, looks like I will have to try both Catalyst and Passolo again

Michael

Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
I use both Aug 14, 2015

...and I definitely prefer Passolo, but that is probably because my experience with Passolo is more extensive.

I find Passolo easier to translate in, especially in terms of consistency and connectivity with termbases, etc. Neither are particularly user-friendly; you need to be well-versed in how to use them.

In my experience Passolo has a lot more functionality but I could be wrong there; my experience with Catalyst is based on very occasional jobs using the Lite versio
... See more
...and I definitely prefer Passolo, but that is probably because my experience with Passolo is more extensive.

I find Passolo easier to translate in, especially in terms of consistency and connectivity with termbases, etc. Neither are particularly user-friendly; you need to be well-versed in how to use them.

In my experience Passolo has a lot more functionality but I could be wrong there; my experience with Catalyst is based on very occasional jobs using the Lite version.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why is Passolo three times the price of Catalyst?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »