translation of .rst file (reStructureText)
Thread poster: Heiko Franz
Heiko Franz
Heiko Franz  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:39
Member (2008)
English to German
Feb 17, 2016

Dear colleagues,

I just received an offer from a customer I have worked for a few years ago to translate files for a software documentation created with a program called Sphinx. The first batch would be around 150 files, and for obvious reasons I woul like to employ a CAT tool for this job. I know that I can work on these files with Notepad++, but that would be cumbersome. Has anyone of you come across these kind of files or do you know which CAT tool is compatible with .rst files?
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I just received an offer from a customer I have worked for a few years ago to translate files for a software documentation created with a program called Sphinx. The first batch would be around 150 files, and for obvious reasons I woul like to employ a CAT tool for this job. I know that I can work on these files with Notepad++, but that would be cumbersome. Has anyone of you come across these kind of files or do you know which CAT tool is compatible with .rst files? Or perhaps you know about suitable workaround? Any help on this is greatly appreciated!
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:39
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
As I understand, Feb 18, 2016

…those files are basically plain-text files. Thus, virtually any CAT tool can be used for their translation. Try OmegaT.

Heiko Franz
Heiko Franz  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:39
Member (2008)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
OmegaT Feb 18, 2016

Thanks, esperantisto, for pointing to OmegaT. Never worked with that before, but it does support .po files, which Sphinx is able to create for translators to work on their content. Just installed it and it works fine!

I do think, however, that even though .rst files are plain-text files, not every CAT tool would be able to work with them, at least this fomat is not supported by Trados, MemoQ and the like.

Anyway, this was very helpful.

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 04:39
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
MemoQ, DéjaVu, and Studio support PO Feb 18, 2016

Heiko Franz wrote:

I do think, however, that even though .rst files are plain-text files, not every CAT tool would be able to work with them, at least this fomat is not supported by Trados, MemoQ and the like.

Just use the same workaround you did for OmegaT (po files created by Sphinx?)

Saludos

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translation of .rst file (reStructureText)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »