Mohamed
Mohamed  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:35
English to Arabic
+ ...
Sep 4, 2015

Hello everybody,

I got a message from DoMT about their new campaign and I believe it would be good for Latin-based languages mainly. What I like about it is that for the first time, we are talking about a Windows MT that's installed on your machine plus a connector to your favorite translation memory tool. It's geared towards translators, not only big companies or LSPs.

H
... See more
Hello everybody,

I got a message from DoMT about their new campaign and I believe it would be good for Latin-based languages mainly. What I like about it is that for the first time, we are talking about a Windows MT that's installed on your machine plus a connector to your favorite translation memory tool. It's geared towards translators, not only big companies or LSPs.

Here is a link to the campaign

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/slate-desktop-the-personal-experience-for-pros#/story

Is there anybody here familiar with their first DoMT application? Have you used it? Does it make you more productive?

Thanks,
Mohamed

[Edited at 2015-09-04 21:50 GMT]
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 20:35
English to Thai
+ ...
MT epoch Sep 4, 2015

Mohamed wrote:

Is there anybody here familiar with their first DoMT application? Have you used it? Does it make you more productive?

Mohamed

[Edited at 2015-09-04 21:50 GMT]

MT is going to command the new translation technology. I also want to hear about pros and cons of MT for Asian languages.

Soonthon L.

Mohamed
Mohamed  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:35
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am not familiar Sep 5, 2015

I am not familiar with Asia Online, but I favor desktop solutions over online cloud solution which keeps charging you by the number of characters/usage.

[Edited at 2015-09-05 16:41 GMT]

Tom Hoar (X)
Tom Hoar (X)
United States
Local time: 09:35
English
Slate Desktop vs DoMT Desktop Sep 8, 2015

Mohamed,

DoMT Desktop had a very limited user base because it ran only on Linux and could not connect to CAT tools, of which only a few run on Linux anyway.

Slate Desktop is a new application. It runs on any 64-bit MS Windows host (WinXP 64 to Win10 64). CAT tools can connect directly to Slate desktop without networks, virtual machines or other complicated configurations. Just install the app, convert your TMs to an engine and use the connector for your CAT. Your work
... See more
Mohamed,

DoMT Desktop had a very limited user base because it ran only on Linux and could not connect to CAT tools, of which only a few run on Linux anyway.

Slate Desktop is a new application. It runs on any 64-bit MS Windows host (WinXP 64 to Win10 64). CAT tools can connect directly to Slate desktop without networks, virtual machines or other complicated configurations. Just install the app, convert your TMs to an engine and use the connector for your CAT. Your work inside the CAT just like it's connecting to online services... double-click the candidate translation and edit if necessary.

The Indiegogo platform is famous as a crowdfunding campaign, but we're using it differently. We're more interested in its market research capabilities. You'll find the details on the campaign's "Story" page:

http://igg.me/at/slate-desktop

Once There, you'll find a variety of options to support the campaign, including significant pre-order discounts for Slate Desktop.

Don't forget to check-out the "updates" page of the campaign. It includes more feedback from other discussion groups around the web. For example, we have several requests for a webinar/demo. I'm putting that together now. I expect to announce a firm date on active discussion groups in a couple of weeks.
Collapse

Tom Hoar (X)
Tom Hoar (X)
United States
English
Slate Desktop for Asian Languages Sep 8, 2015

Soonthon,

You are quite correct that Asian languages pose different challenges. The computational linguistics of Thai are especially challenging

Out of the box, Slate Desktop will support translation memories across 29 languages. This means your TMs and Slate Desktop can create personalized translation engines for up to 812 different language pairs. Here a
... See more
Soonthon,

You are quite correct that Asian languages pose different challenges. The computational linguistics of Thai are especially challenging

Out of the box, Slate Desktop will support translation memories across 29 languages. This means your TMs and Slate Desktop can create personalized translation engines for up to 812 different language pairs. Here are the languages:

http://igg.me/at/slate-desktop#story#languages

You'll note that Thai is not a supported out of the box. The linguistic challenges are only the beginning. On a more practical side, only a few CAT tools support the Thai language. So, I would expect Thai TMs will be difficult to find.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:35
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
add CafeTran CAT tool connector to Slate desktop for Windows? Sep 8, 2015

Hi Tom (tahoar),

I was wondering how hard it would be for you to add CafeTran to your list of CAT tool connectors? Currently, CafeTran supports Google Translate and Microsoft Translator via plugins (using their respective APIs).

Michael

Tom Hoar (X)
Tom Hoar (X)
United States
English
Re: add CafeTran CAT tool connector to Slate desktop for Windows? Sep 9, 2015

Thanks, Michael.

Our goal is to support all CAT tools. That takes time and sometimes cooperation from the CAT vendor.

I quickly browsed the CafeTran website. CafeTran is a JAVA application a plugin architecture and we're already supporting OmegaT, another JAVA app. If you select the perk "Super Early Bird - Other", I will add CafeTran to our planned CATs.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
It's not clear to me... Sep 9, 2015

... what Slate has to offer, and if it offers more/better MT features than I already use in CafeTran:

• Auto-Assembling
  • Subsegment matching
  • Virtual matches
  • A superfast SQLite database that can "extract" terms from the TM(s), and offers them in a new TM with their context which then offers the f... See more
  • ... what Slate has to offer, and if it offers more/better MT features than I already use in CafeTran:

• Auto-Assembling
  • Subsegment matching
  • Virtual matches
  • A superfast SQLite database that can "extract" terms from the TM(s), and offers them in a new TM with their context which then offers the features I mention above (AA, SS, VM).

CafeTran costs € 80/year.

I asked more or less the same question here: http://www.proz.com/forum/machine_translation_mt/290404-how_do_you_use_mt.html#2464798
    where I wondered if a dedicated MT would be of any use to me. I got no answer...

Cheers,

Hans ▲ Collapse

•  
    Michael Beijer
    United Kingdom
    Member (2009)
    Dutch to English
    + ...
    Lack of a GUI is a bummer Sep 10, 2015

tahoar wrote:

Thanks, Michael.

Our goal is to support all CAT tools. That takes time and sometimes cooperation from the CAT vendor.

I quickly browsed the CafeTran website. CafeTran is a JAVA application a plugin architecture and we're already supporting OmegaT, another JAVA app. If you select the perk "Super Early Bird - Other", I will add CafeTran to our planned CATs.

Hi Tom,

I mistakenly assumed that your solution included some form of GUI, which I realised is not the case after having more carefully read the info. Given that training my own MT engine is more of a hobby than a real necessity at the moment, and that I have very little free time these days (5-month-old baby in the house!), if I did pay for a solution, it would most likely have to have some form of easy-to-use (preferably Windows) GUI.

Michael

[Edited at 2015-09-10 21:53 GMT]

Siegfried Armbruster
    Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
    Germany
    Local time: 14:35
    English to German
    + ...
    In memoriam
    Free webinar covering SLATE Sep 11, 2015

You got questions regarding Slate? We just organized a free webinar. It will be presented by Tom Hoar, Precision Translation Tools' founder.
    https://alexandria-translation-resources.com/product/webinar-slate-desktop/

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
    Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
    Thailand
    English to Thai
    + ...
    Back to basic Sep 11, 2015

tahoar wrote:

Soonthon,

Out of the box, Slate Desktop will support translation memories across 29 languages. This means your TMs and Slate Desktop can create personalized translation engines for up to 812 different language pairs. Here are the languages:

You'll note that Thai is not a supported out of the box. The linguistic challenges are only the beginning. On a more practical side, only a few CAT tools support the Thai language. So, I would expect Thai TMs will be difficult to find.

Thai is specific for human the language. Its successive evolution makes Thai easier to command among native speakers but quite troublesome to absorb new technology e.g. Thai font display in computer, translation memory segmentation rules.
    I am now personally keen to study Latin, a companion of Pali, to apply with Thai. MT for Thai can be better if the common rules are applied to Thai as well.

Soonthon L.

Tom Hoar (X)
    Tom Hoar (X)
    United States
    English
    Re: It's not clear to me... Sep 12, 2015

Hi Meta Arkadia,

Your points about "Auto-Assembling", "Subsegment matching", "Virtual matches", "superfast SQLite database" are all run independently of translation engines. Each has a different purpose. I don't know enough about CafeTran to address how these functions differ from a translation engine.

RE "CafeTran costs € 80/year", this is a licensing model, not a technical capability. I think they also offer a one-time purchase license option, but can't seem to find
    ... See more
    Hi Meta Arkadia,

Your points about "Auto-Assembling", "Subsegment matching", "Virtual matches", "superfast SQLite database" are all run independently of translation engines. Each has a different purpose. I don't know enough about CafeTran to address how these functions differ from a translation engine.

RE "CafeTran costs € 80/year", this is a licensing model, not a technical capability. I think they also offer a one-time purchase license option, but can't seem to find the link/price right now.

Slate Desktop is a translation engine that runs on your PC. It's GT or MS Hub on your desktop without the Internet. You create (train) your own engines from your TMs. You control the quality of the draft translations because the engine learns only from what you give it to learn from. If the TM segments are all yours, then the engine will very closely mimic your translation style. If you crawl garbage TMs from the Internet, the engine will make garbage translations.

GT & MS Hub are subscription services. You pay as you go. Depending on the subscription terms, you might be violating your confidentiality agreement with your customers by using these services. You need to read the terms of both carefully.

With Slate Desktop, you never violate confidentiality terms with your customers. Each segment that the CAT sends to the Slate engine stays on your desktop.

I hope this helps.

[Edited at 2015-09-12 03:01 GMT]
    Collapse

Tom Hoar (X)
    Tom Hoar (X)
    United States
    English
    RE: Lack of a GUI is a bummer Sep 12, 2015

Michael,

I don't know where you got your information about "lack of GUI." Our legacy DoMT product has had a GUI on the Linux version for almost 3 years. The GUI helps you manage the process to create engines. Of course we're updating the GUI as part of the new Slate Windows version.

Once you created your engine, you switch to your CAT and inherit whatever GUI it provides through the MT connector.

If you want to update your engine, you switch back to our G
    ... See more
    Michael,

I don't know where you got your information about "lack of GUI." Our legacy DoMT product has had a GUI on the Linux version for almost 3 years. The GUI helps you manage the process to create engines. Of course we're updating the GUI as part of the new Slate Windows version.

Once you created your engine, you switch to your CAT and inherit whatever GUI it provides through the MT connector.

If you want to update your engine, you switch back to our GUI. Typically takes 20-30 minutes of your attention to set up the updates. Then, you start the process that runs quietly in the background without need for interaction.

Siegfried announced the The Alexandria Library has organized a free webinar about State. I'll present the pre-release Windows version training an engine and integration with a CAT. There will be time for Q&A. Here's the link to register:

[Edited at 2015-09-12 02:59 GMT]
    Collapse

Michael Beijer
    United Kingdom
    Member (2009)
    Dutch to English
    + ...
    ~ Sep 14, 2015

tahoar wrote:

Michael,

If you want to update your engine, you switch back to our GUI. Typically takes 20-30 minutes of your attention to set up the updates. Then, you start the process that runs quietly in the background without need for interaction.

Siegfried announced the The Alexandria Library has organized a free webinar about State. I'll present the pre-release Windows version training an engine and integration with a CAT. There will be time for Q&A. Here's the link to register:

[Edited at 2015-09-12 02:59 GMT]

From this:

"What Is Slate?

Slate is a packaged release of SMT tools primarily for 64-bit MS Windows but there’s also a package for GNU/Linux operating systems. It includes command-line utilities from Moses, MGIZA++ and PTTools that train, tune and evaluate SMT engines.

It is also important to understand what Slate is not. Slate is not a commercial application for translators or localization service providers. It does not directly integrate with popular localization CAT and TMS tools. So, if you are a Windows user is looking for a graphical user experience, such as a translator with few technical skills, Slate is not for you because it is an SMT toolkit. As such, it includes only the command-line utilities found in the Linux-based Moses toolkit." (http://www.precisiontranslationtools.com/smt-for-windows-and-more/ )

But looking at it again, I don't fully understand if this is the same as the "Slate desktop" for Windows we are talking about here.

Michael

Meta Arkadia
    Meta Arkadia
    English to Indonesian
    + ...
    Moses, Slate, or no MT at all? Sep 15, 2015

tahoar wrote:
    I don't know enough about CafeTran to address how these functions differ from a translation engine.

Which happens to be exactly what I wanted to know: Several CAT tools already use MT technology - I think it started last century with DejaVu and Auto-Assemble - so what do we, freelance translators, gain when we set up an MT? That's why I gave up on Moses. I can be tremendously wrong, but when reading about Moses, I came to the conclusion it's not worth the trouble. You can of course point me to Siegfried's webinar, but Slate won't run on my OS, so I'm not much interested in Slate, whereas the Moses website seems to point to Slate as the Windows version of Moses.

Cheers,

Hans

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Slate Desktop: your personal MT engine

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
    The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
    Protemos translation business management system
    Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »