Gijs Van Breugel
Gijs Van Breugel
France
Local time: 03:17
Dutch to French
+ ...
Jan 6, 2017

Bonjour à tous,

I have been contacted by a Mr J. C. from Los Angeles who introduced himself as an expat relocating to France, with his wife. This is for me not a special request as I advise lots of expats and accompany them on the journey and arrange details on request.
We agreed on terms, job and payment. He insisted on payment per cheque, which was sent. This cheque however was falsified as a "cheque de banque", so it bounced.
Has any one else been in the same situat
... See more
Bonjour à tous,

I have been contacted by a Mr J. C. from Los Angeles who introduced himself as an expat relocating to France, with his wife. This is for me not a special request as I advise lots of expats and accompany them on the journey and arrange details on request.
We agreed on terms, job and payment. He insisted on payment per cheque, which was sent. This cheque however was falsified as a "cheque de banque", so it bounced.
Has any one else been in the same situation ?
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:17
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Bonjour, Gijs! Jan 7, 2017

I have never been in this situation, but this matter has been discussed in this forum several times:

See more
I have never been in this situation, but this matter has been discussed in this forum several times:

http://www.proz.com/forum/scams/299452-assistance_in_relocating_scam.html
http://www.proz.com/forum/scams/289141-is_this_a_scam-page2.html

Teresa
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:17
English to French
Yes Jan 7, 2017

Gijs Van Breugel wrote:
Has any one else been in the same situation ?

I've been approached a few times, and even went as far as receiving a 2,200€ cheque from Deutsche Bank just for the fun of it.
It's a common scam, whereby after more or less gross social engineering from your "customer", you receive a cheque for a higher amount than agreed, then are asked urgently to send back the excess money by WU, Paypal or another means difficult to trace.

It happens all the time, not only with bogus translation requests, but also on second-hand buying/selling websites - from my own experience - and certainly elsewhere.

I hope you didn't lose any money or working hours. As long as there are people falling for it, it will not fade away.

Philippe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Expat scam from the USA

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »