Thread poster: Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
Local time: 15:30
English to Polish
+ ...
Jul 25, 2017

Am I the only one to have noticed the SR1 for Studio 2017?
I'm particularly interested in the LookAhead function - it sounds fantastic!

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 16:30
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Looks good Jul 25, 2017

I've just downloaded and installed it; everything looks good so far, but the links in their email take you to a wrong web page, which has nothing to do with SDL the company...

I hope the software has been more thoroughly checked than the email message.

[Edited at 2017-07-25 15:45 GMT]

Axel Dittmer
Axel Dittmer  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
error message Jul 25, 2017

'an error occured and the program was aborted'
that's what I got, so I'm not that excited.

Studio 2017 SR1 Jul 25, 2017

Hi,

Can you share the URL in question?

Just to clarify, the email does contain links to several SDL official websites such as; oos.sdl.com (account management), gateway.sdl.com (support), and goto.sdl.com (documentation downloads). Was it one of these?

Many thanks

David

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

I've just downloaded and installed it; everything looks good so far, but the links in their email take you to a wrong web page, which has nothing to do with SDL the company...

Pavel Slama
Pavel Slama  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:30
Member (2014)
English to Czech
+ ...
Unrepaired fuzzy matches Jul 25, 2017

So how does one pop in the unrepaired fuzzy matches?

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 16:30
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Link fixed Jul 25, 2017

The link has been fixed already.

[Edited at 2017-07-25 17:55 GMT]

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
I hope everything is OK then, since this sounds suspect to me Jul 25, 2017

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

I am always wary of clicking a link in an e-mail since it often will be a phishing message from someone else than the company it is supposed to be from.

Roy

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Shocker Jul 25, 2017

Multiterm has a slider for browsing through terms! Finally!

Shocker #2...

No! I knew that there must be a bug and there is a huge one for Polish users!

It's impossible to insert small "ł" (alt+l) letter now in the editor window! This refers only to the small letter, the large one is OK.

SDL, please, do something about it ASAP!

[Edited at 2017-07-25 20:57 GMT]

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
The problem must be related to your local settings Jul 25, 2017

Wojciech_ wrote:
It's impossible to insert small "ł" (alt+l) letter now in the editor window! This refers only to the small letter, the large one is OK.

In my Studio all Polish letters can be inserted without any problem. I use the [Ctrl+Alt+letter] and [Shift+Ctrl+Alt+letter] shortcuts, though. Just check and replace the (alt+l) shortcut, it must be assigned to some other command.

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK problem solved Jul 25, 2017

Natalie wrote:

Wojciech_ wrote:

In my Studio all Polish letters can be inserted without any problem. I use the [Ctrl+Alt+letter] and [Shift+Ctrl+Alt+letter] shortcuts, though. Just check and replace the (alt+l) shortcut, it must be assigned to some other command.

Problem solved. Thanks, Natalie. I simply deleted all the shortcuts where "l" or "L" was used and now the small "ł" is back again!

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Blog post on new features Jul 26, 2017

Pavel Slama wrote:

So how does one pop in the unrepaired fuzzy matches?

With the shortcut Ctrl+Alt+U

This and other features are covered in my blog post on SR1:
https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2017/07/26/studio-2017-sr1/

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Look ahead feature - productivity killer for neighbouring fuzzy segments? Jul 26, 2017

Dear Emma,

I've just read your blog, very interesting, thanks!

I'm slightly worried about the fact that finding fuzzy matches from neighbouring segments now requires me to press three(!) keys (instead of no action required before). In my experience, it's not exactly a rare occurrence that similar segments immediately follow each other (in lists, for example).

This rather sounds like a productivity killer to me. Wouldn't it be better if Studio automatically
... See more
Dear Emma,

I've just read your blog, very interesting, thanks!

I'm slightly worried about the fact that finding fuzzy matches from neighbouring segments now requires me to press three(!) keys (instead of no action required before). In my experience, it's not exactly a rare occurrence that similar segments immediately follow each other (in lists, for example).

This rather sounds like a productivity killer to me. Wouldn't it be better if Studio automatically performed a regular search when the LookAhead feature hasn't yielded anything?

[Edited at 2017-07-26 07:52 GMT]
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Customise the shortcut Jul 26, 2017

Erik Freitag wrote:

press three(!) keys (instead of no action required before). In my experience, it's not exactly a rare occurrence that similar segments immediately follow each other (in lists, for example).

This rather sounds like a productivity killer to me. Wouldn't it be better if Studio automatically performed a regular search when the LookAhead feature hasn't yielded anything?

[Edited at 2017-07-26 07:52 GMT]

Well, you can easily customise the shortcut (File>options>shortcuts, browse to Look-up) to a shorter key combination.
I see what you mean about Studio doing this automatically, but the whole point of LookAhead is that Studio is busy working on other segments while we're translating the active one. I've found it works really well and speeds up my productivity rather than killing it.

In the case of a list, you might better switching off LooKAhead completely for that section.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Illogical Jul 26, 2017

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

I see what you mean about Studio doing this automatically, but the whole point of LookAhead is that Studio is busy working on other segments while we're translating the active one.

I find this a bit illogical - shouldn't finding a match for the active segment have priority over finding matches for subsequent segments? In other words: Why should Studio wait for a key command before it starts searching the TM for fuzzy matches?

After proceeding to a new segment, shouldn't the software rather use a sequence like this:

1. Insert match previously found by LookAhead.
  2. If LookAhead hasn't yielded anything: Repeat TM search in order to make sure that matches from the segments just before the active one are included. The search could even be limited to those one or two segments in order to speed things up.
  3. Start looking ahead for the following segments.

Or, yet another way of putting it: Why would anyone ever not want Studio to look for matches if LookAhead hasn't found anything? So why the need for a key command for this?

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
I've found it works really well and speeds up my productivity rather than killing it.

That's good to know, I'll surely give it a try after the update.

[Edited at 2017-07-26 09:06 GMT]

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Agree Jul 26, 2017

Erik Freitag wrote:

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

I see what you mean about Studio doing this automatically, but the whole point of LookAhead is that Studio is busy working on other segments while we're translating the active one.

I find this a bit illogical - shouldn't finding a match for the active segment have priority over finding matches for subsequent segments? In other words: Why should Studio wait for a key command before it starts searching the TM for fuzzy matches?
2. If LookAhead hasn't yielded anything: Repeat TM search in order to make sure that matches from the segments just before the active one are included

I read Emma's example in her blog post. The fact you won't be automatically presented with a fuzzy match for segments you have just translated, because Studio is too busy(?) with the following segments seems rather irrational to me... especially if this has suddenly become the way Studio behaves by default (I guess someone might even regard and report this as a 'bug'...).

On a related note, I personally quite dislike the MT-centric road SDL has been consistently treading for a while now... but I guess that's just me...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2017 SR1 Yay!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »