Thread poster: ghislandi
Tomasz Poplawski
Tomasz Poplawski  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:59
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
Studio 2017 SR 1 - a complete disaster Aug 12, 2017

Even after turning off all the functions that were supposed to be great improvements justifying the upgrade, Studio 2017 still doesn't work on my fast and powerful desktop. I mainly sit and watch the circle going round-and-round.
From what I see, this is a common experience, yet I don't see any comments from SDL people regarding some feverish work on a solution, even if temporary; moreover, some technical gurus from the community, who usually offer valuable advice, keep insisting that this
... See more
Even after turning off all the functions that were supposed to be great improvements justifying the upgrade, Studio 2017 still doesn't work on my fast and powerful desktop. I mainly sit and watch the circle going round-and-round.
From what I see, this is a common experience, yet I don't see any comments from SDL people regarding some feverish work on a solution, even if temporary; moreover, some technical gurus from the community, who usually offer valuable advice, keep insisting that this is a hardware, not a software problem, despite ample evidence to the contrary.
I don't want to use strong words - but at at what point such neglect should become a legal issue?
Collapse

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
Local time: 23:59
not acceptable Aug 12, 2017

Don't think this is being taken very seriously...
Can't work like this and can't really wait much longer so am going to switch to MemoQ. Anybody know when the next Group Buy is?

Araceli Arola
Araceli Arola  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Having tested already but... Aug 13, 2017

I'm a discordant voice... why ONLY 5 languages?
I need exactly 6 languages at this time. I'm working on a multilanguage project with files in several source and just one target.
What am I supposed to do? Use the old 2014 Trados version just on the language missing?

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:59
English to Russian
Take it easy Aug 13, 2017

Araceli Arola wrote:

I need exactly 6 languages at this time. I'm working on a multilanguage project with files in several source and just one target.
What am I supposed to do? Use the old 2014 Trados version just on the language missing?

But they offer consolation for that: if you select English, you get all 76 (or how many of them?) English dialects.

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
The freelance version is not for you then. Aug 14, 2017

Araceli Arola wrote:

But you are not limited to 5 languages. If you need more, SDL expect you to choose the Professional version, which doesn't have this limit, and which is geared towards agencies. This is a conscious decision which SDL made some years ago, and I remember quite a few freelancers protested: "Why just 5 languages?" But the idea was to give the freelancers a limited version to a reduced price (about 20% of the unlimited version). Agencies, who generally have a need for more languages, on the other hand, are expected to pay the full price, I'm afraid. It seems you, unfortunately for you, have come in this category as far as SDL is concerned.

The problem is, of course, always that when such a limit is set, be it 5 languages, 6 or 10, some users will feel unhappy because they come just on the wrong side of this limit.

If you actually need 6 languages, I would strongly advice choosing another CAT tool like Dejavu or memoQ. Dejavu does not have such a limitation (it is my main CAT tool) and my guess is that memoQ does not either.

Araceli Arola
Spain
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
+ ...
not so easy... Aug 14, 2017

Roy Oestensen wrote:

Araceli Arola wrote:

But you are not limited to 5 languages. If you need more, SDL expect you to choose the Professional version, which doesn't have this limit, and which is geared towards agencies. This is a conscious decision which SDL made some years ago, and I remember quite a few freelancers protested: "Why just 5 languages?" But the idea was to give the freelancers a limited version to a reduced price (about 20% of the unlimited version). Agencies, who generally have a need for more languages, on the other hand, are expected to pay the full price, I'm afraid. It seems you, unfortunately for you, have come in this category as far as SDL is concerned.

The problem is, of course, always that when such a limit is set, be it 5 languages, 6 or 10, some users will feel unhappy because they come just on the wrong side of this limit.

If you actually need 6 languages, I would strongly advice choosing another CAT tool like Dejavu or memoQ. Dejavu does not have such a limitation (it is my main CAT tool) and my guess is that memoQ does not either.

Thanks for the answer, but I'm a freelancer and temporary in charge of a project which involves 6 source languages, not foreseen at the beginning of the project. I cannot take an enterprise licence just for one language and some months of work, and I have no decision power for demanding other CAT tools, I'm afraid...

Besides, when source is GB, in conflicts with US. The supposed compatibility does not work here.

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Only recourse would be to contact SDL, I think Aug 14, 2017

Araceli Arola wrote:
Thanks for the answer, but I'm a freelancer and temporary in charge of a project which involves 6 source languages, not foreseen at the beginning of the project. I cannot take an enterprise licence just for one language and some months of work, and I have no decision power for demanding other CAT tools, I'm afraid...

Besides, when source is GB, in conflicts with US. The supposed compatibility does not work here.

SDL is the only one who can help you here, I think, since this would be a lisence issue, although I suspect they are not that keen on helping you out.

If you had used DVX3 from the start, this problem would not have arisen, I'm afraid.

And I think any CAT tool is treating GB as not the same language as US, so that problem you can't get around, I think, except if you try to create a new TM where you import the GB segments as if they are US segments or vice versa.

I hope for your sake you are able to solve your problem. Not very nice when the only solution may be an investment of perhaps 2000 USD if this is a one off situation.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Corporate "logic" Aug 14, 2017

Roy Oestensen wrote:

... But the idea was to give the freelancers a limited version to a reduced price (about 20% of the unlimited version). ...

No, it doesn't. AFAIK most don't. And probably that's the reason why the limit itself is perceived as arbitrary and unreasonable. I think so myself, but I've never been really bothered by it (except when I had to set language pairs each single time I started Studio due to one of the "limitless" bugs and issues SDL regularly graces us with).

As for the 'reduced price', at €695, Studio in its 'limited' form already is more expensive than most other tools aimed at freelancers (which don't have any language restriction, as mentioned before), so...

This is a bit like the thing with licenses. With Studio, when you "upgrade" to a newer version, your license is also "upgraded", meaning you won't be able to use it anymore to activate new installations of the older versions you were using. Like with languages, they went out of their way to implement such a convoluted and impractical system. I'm sure several translators missed their older versions dearly after they "upgraded" to SR1, or when the SR3 for 2015 made Studio unusable, a few months ago...

As for (the astronomical number of) language variants, IMO that's another unnecessary complication that should at least be optional. AFAIK, in MemoQ for instance you can simply choose "English" (i.e. without necessarily having to specify a variant) and you're all set. At any rate, I know for Studio there's a plugin to use whatever combination for TMs (AnyTM, I think), plus, according to this post you could change the language variant code(s) by editing the sdlxliff file with Notepad...

ghislandi
ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:59
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Some feedback Aug 14, 2017

Hello,
I am from SDL.
I suppose an answer to various points.

1) on SR1 - we have released a CU post launch to correct some of the issues that have risen. We had thousands of downloads of the new version and in general the experience has been positive. However some of the new features introduced with SR1 have slowed down some tasks. We are working hard to address these and an additional CU will follow in the next few days.

2) When you have a licensing issue
... See more
Hello,
I am from SDL.

1) on SR1 - we have released a CU post launch to correct some of the issues that have risen. We had thousands of downloads of the new version and in general the experience has been positive. However some of the new features introduced with SR1 have slowed down some tasks. We are working hard to address these and an additional CU will follow in the next few days.

2) When you have a licensing issue specifically we have various options on how to find help (we have added also a licensing Chat facility during European working hours) from this page http://www.sdltrados.com/support/installation-licensing.html

3) In regards to the language combinations - we had for many years the ability to have 5 languages in the Freelance version as opposed to the business versions which are unlimited in the number of languages. With the vast majority of our customers 5 languages are sufficient and they have not caused any issue. There are some instances where more languages might be required and the option is traditionally to opt for the more expensive Pro edition. I will contact Araceli directly with some options in this regards.

I will send an update when any additional CU is released.

Kind regards
Massi
Collapse

Araceli Arola
Spain
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks! Aug 15, 2017

ghislandi wrote:

Hello,
I am from SDL.

2) When you have a licensing issue specifically we have various options on how to find help (we have added also a licensing Chat facility during European working hours) from this page http://www.sdltrados.com/support/installation-licensing.html

3) In regards to the language combinations - we had for many years the ability to have 5 languages in the Freelance version as opposed to the business versions which are unlimited in the number of languages. With the vast majority of our customers 5 languages are sufficient and they have not caused any issue. There are some instances where more languages might be required and the option is traditionally to opt for the more expensive Pro edition. I will contact Araceli directly with some options in this regards.

I will send an update when any additional CU is released.

Kind regards
Massi

I really appreciate your explanations and your private message.
I was told once by a non-SDL expert, in an Internationl Trados Summit held in my city, that one of most added-value features of SDL was its Support Center. It is absolutely receptive. I've had some chances to prove it. Thanks.

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Still impossible to choose not to add duplicate translations for the same segment in TM?? Oct 3, 2017

There are at least 6 threads on this forum, asking to please reinstate the option to deactivate multiple translations or have commands to confirm and add or replace the translation for a segment in the TM.

Each time I cannot believe that this is possible and spend a long time searching for the solution that must be there, somewhere! But each time it is confirmed that I am not the only one.

Is the problem being ignored because it is not understood or for why else?

ghislandi
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Info Oct 4, 2017

Hello Luca,

If you are using standard translation memory - the default setting is that it will not duplicate the segment unless you specifically select to add the duplicate segment as an additional translation unit.

However if you are using 'AnyTM' function as a translation memory provider, all the units are added as duplicate. As it has been raised by some customers we have listed in our backlog of items to address.

Have you experienced the issue just when
... See more
Hello Luca,

If you are using standard translation memory - the default setting is that it will not duplicate the segment unless you specifically select to add the duplicate segment as an additional translation unit.

However if you are using 'AnyTM' function as a translation memory provider, all the units are added as duplicate. As it has been raised by some customers we have listed in our backlog of items to address.

Have you experienced the issue just when using AnyTM or also when you are using the regular Translation Memory?

You could also raise the issue on our community where some our support team members are active.
https://community.sdl.com/solutions/language/translationproductivity/

Kind regards
Massi
Collapse

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
It is happening without any AnyTM Oct 4, 2017

Dear Massi,

Thank you for your reply. I am using a single normal TM and never used AnyTM in this newly installed Trados 2017. And I am using the standard command to Commit and go to next unconfirmed segment.

I am afraid I do not have time to dig in the general link you kindly posted at this time. I took the time (and spent the money) to upgrade to 2017 because I am supposed to translate several thousands of words per day NOW, only to find myself half-stuck searching for
... See more
Dear Massi,

Thank you for your reply. I am using a single normal TM and never used AnyTM in this newly installed Trados 2017. And I am using the standard command to Commit and go to next unconfirmed segment.

I am afraid I do not have time to dig in the general link you kindly posted at this time. I took the time (and spent the money) to upgrade to 2017 because I am supposed to translate several thousands of words per day NOW, only to find myself half-stuck searching for new workarounds again.

I think SDL people should have taken care of this and other matters years ago, rather than post tentative baseless hypotheses so late.

This kind of attitude is pushing me to raise this and other problems directly and systematically with my clients and advise them not to ask for Trados return packages anymore.

Best regards,
Luca

ghislandi wrote:

Hello Luca,

Have you experienced the issue just when using AnyTM or also when you are using the regular Translation Memory?

You could also raise the issue on our community where some our support team members are active.

Kind regards
Massi
Collapse

ghislandi
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Additional information Oct 6, 2017

Luca Tutino wrote:

Dear Massi,

I am afraid I do not have time to dig in the general link you kindly posted at this time. I took the time (and spent the money) to upgrade to 2017 because I am supposed to translate several thousands of words per day NOW, only to find myself half-stuck searching for new workarounds again.

I think SDL people should have taken care of this and other matters years ago, rather than post tentative baseless hypotheses so late.

This kind of attitude is pushing me to raise this and other problems directly and systematically with my clients and advise them not to ask for Trados return packages anymore.

Best regards,
Luca

ghislandi wrote:

Hello Luca,

Kind regards
Massi

Dear Luca
if you are using a standard TM the default setting is that the TM is overwritten and a TU is not added as a duplicate. By just confirming a segment it will either store is a a new TU or if it is a duplicate it will over-write with the latest translation.

If you want to force to create a duplicate the default keyboard shortcut is CTRL+SHIFT+U

Rechecking your original post you said
"Still impossible to choose not to add duplicate translations for the same segment in TM??"
There is basically no need for a setting as if the segment is identical (Note same formatting too) it will not be added as a duplicate. Only by using the CTRL + SHIFT + U instead of the regular confirmation shortcu CTRL + ENTER it will force to create a duplicate.

Let me know if I have not understood the issue properly.

Kind regards
Massi

Angel Llacuna
Angel Llacuna  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
Suggestion for Trados Studio 2017 Oct 7, 2017

I recommend to add an option to be able to toggle between the horizontal and the vertical layout of the Editor (source and target segments one below the other or arranged side by side), without the need to install any plug-in.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2017 SR1 is live

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »