workbench spooky - concordance search for a specific term kills the application
Thread poster: Gunnar Thander
Gunnar Thander
Gunnar Thander  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:12
Mar 5, 2008

I have an unusual problem with Workbench 2007 (working with Word 2003). My TM is English-Swedish. If If I use the concordance and type in the word "commitment" it tells me Workbench has encountered a problem and wants to send a report to Microsoft, and regardless of my response once I have responded Workbench shuts down/closes. So, what is up with commitment? It doesn't make any sense. "Commit" works fine, but "commitment" causes the problem.
Has anyone seen a similar problem? Any ideas ou
... See more
I have an unusual problem with Workbench 2007 (working with Word 2003). My TM is English-Swedish. If If I use the concordance and type in the word "commitment" it tells me Workbench has encountered a problem and wants to send a report to Microsoft, and regardless of my response once I have responded Workbench shuts down/closes. So, what is up with commitment? It doesn't make any sense. "Commit" works fine, but "commitment" causes the problem.
Has anyone seen a similar problem? Any ideas out there?
Gunnar Thander

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-03-05 05:39]
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:12
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Similar problem with XP/SDL 2006 Mar 5, 2008

Hi Gunnar,

I have been having a similar problem with a different configuration (SDL 2006/XP) for a couple of years now and *only* on one PC.

Sometimes on a single-term concordance search (sometimes after having marked a couple of terms) a grey pop-up window is shown... it made me think that it was rather a MSWord problem, due to the fact that the mentioned (runtime, if I am not mistaken) error no. is quite long.

I posted on TW users, no workout unfortunatel
... See more
Hi Gunnar,

I have been having a similar problem with a different configuration (SDL 2006/XP) for a couple of years now and *only* on one PC.

Sometimes on a single-term concordance search (sometimes after having marked a couple of terms) a grey pop-up window is shown... it made me think that it was rather a MSWord problem, due to the fact that the mentioned (runtime, if I am not mistaken) error no. is quite long.

I posted on TW users, no workout unfortunately, but my impression was confirmed: a MSWord error, probably "built-in" after having installed an update.

To be honest, after having tried to find a solution for a while (I found no info about which specific MS Office update or patch may have caused it and), I stopped trying.

After various attempts (rolling back all MS updates, re-installing it, re-installing Trados), it does happen once in a while, but it isn't gone, so I'd be happy and grateful, if someone knew how to make it go away

Never had this problem on another PC, same MS Office & Trados version though...

Giuliana
Collapse

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Do you have a font called "Arial Unicode MS"? Mar 5, 2008

Gunnar Thander wrote:

Has anyone seen a similar problem? Any ideas out there?
Gunnar Thander

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-03-05 05:39]

Hi, I have seen a similar problem and in thend the reason of the crash was the the font "Arial Unicode MS" was not installed on the PC.

After installing the font (it comes as an optional font in MS Office), the crash did not happened.

Please note that I am not referring to the normal "Arial" font, which all PCs normally have, but to a different font named "Arial Unicode MS".

I hope this helps!

Daniel

Gunnar Thander
Gunnar Thander  Identity Verified
TOPIC STARTER
seems like it's solved Mar 5, 2008

I checked the fonts, and the font Arial Unicode MS was missing, so I reinstalled it.
So far nothing happens when I type 'commitment'.
Thank you for you help!
Gunnar Thander

mariale125
mariale125
English to Spanish
How can I install Arial Unicode MS? Mar 6, 2008

Hi guys, computer's stuff is not my thing, so would you please tell me how to install the font "Arial Unicode MS"?

Thanks in advance
Mariale

Suzanne Smart (X)
Suzanne Smart (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:12
Italian to English
+ ...
please tell me how! Nov 10, 2011

Hello, I also have this problem, please can somebody tell me how to install Arial unicode MS? I've looked on Word and it doesn't seem to be there but I'm not sure what to do next.
Thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

workbench spooky - concordance search for a specific term kills the application

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »