Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Time-tracking software - looking for a small, free time-tracking program to use when proofreadin
Thread poster: Anne Brackenborough (X)
Anne Brackenborough (X)
Anne Brackenborough (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:47
German to English
Apr 27, 2009

I'm sure this has come up before but evidently I don't even know the right keywords to search with. I'm looking for a small, free time-tracking program to use when proofreading. Something where you click on a button when you start and stop, which then adds up all the minutes. If anyone has recommendations or can tell me what this type of program is usually called (keywords) that would be great.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-04-28 13:17 GMT]

Steven Sidore
Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Slimtimer Apr 27, 2009

Try Slimtimer.com
Easy, fast, free.

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Time Stamp Apr 27, 2009

... also does the job.

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Previous threads Apr 27, 2009

Hi Anne,

Use "time tracking" and tick the Exact match checkbox in the "Advanced forum search" window

A recent thread with several recommendations is this one.

Attila

Nixie Adams, M.A.
Nixie Adams, M.A.
Australia
Local time: 03:47
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
+1 Apr 27, 2009

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:

... also does the job.

Yep, I'm also very happy with TimeStamp.

Vladislav Badalov
Vladislav Badalov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:47
Russian to English
+ ...
An alternative way to do proofreading... Apr 27, 2009

...without any time-tracking software: charge your client in percentage of your regular translation rates: for instance, 30% for punctuation and orthography and 50-60% for deep editing.

Michael Pauls
Michael Pauls
Germany
English to German
Das geht auch mit Outlook ... Apr 27, 2009

... ausführliche Beschreibung hier: http://www.smarttools.de/smarttips/outlook/outlook.210.shtml

Grüße,
mp

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Time Stamp link Apr 27, 2009

No harm to repeat the link here, although Attila does send us to a previous useful discussion. It's fine for what I need, which sounds similar to your activity.

http://www.syntap.com/products_timestamp.htm

Anne Brackenborough (X)
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 27, 2009

I will try out some of the different options.

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 19:47
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
you know... Apr 28, 2009

1) ... some people use watches to track the time...
2) Stopwatch function is available in almost any mobile phone...
Why do you need some software when you have hardware?

To continue in the style of your logic... some time you will be looking for a small free program
to check whether your PC is on.

Anne Brackenborough (X)
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
paperless office Apr 28, 2009

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:
Why do you need some software when you have hardware?

And it would serve a dual purpose: both recording and adding to the time I put on the invoice. Very effective.

Sergei Leshchinsky
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
How can I check... Apr 28, 2009

... you did not sleep at the time the tool was counting your working hours?
Stopwatch in your mobile as well as a usual watch on your hand also saves paper.

Anne Brackenborough (X)
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
depends on the job Apr 28, 2009

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:
Stopwatch in your mobile as well as a usual watch on your hand also saves paper.

I think we are imagining two different jobs here. When I am doing a simple proofreading job involving one file I do indeed just look at my watch.
In this case, I have a proofreading job which will take several days, spread across a few weeks among my other work. It involves several project numbers, each with various different files with odd names. In the past I have used a Word table/piece of paper and made a note of the times spent on each project, but found that rather time-consuming/boring.
As there are small, free programmes which allow you to quickly, automatically note the time spent on each project I thought I would try one out. The existence of so many programmes for this purpose suggests that I'm not the only one using this style of logic.
Why is hardware better than software? Do you manufacture mobile phones?

Sergei Leshchinsky
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
OK Apr 28, 2009

Yes, if you have several threads to track, you need a "stopwatch" with several hands.
However, if I happen to proofread several Word files in parallel, I just look at the "total editing time" in File—Properties—Statistics... The counter is reset when you change the file name. It pauses when you close the document and even when you minimize it (i.e. uneditable states).

Time Tracking Software Dec 11, 2009

Anne Koth wrote:

I'm sure this has come up before but evidently I don't even know the right keywords to search with. I'm looking for a small, free time-tracking program to use when proofreading. Something where you click on a button when you start and stop, which then adds up all the minutes. If anyone has recommendations or can tell me what this type of program is usually called (keywords) that would be great.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-04-28 13:17 GMT]

HourDoc is tool for Time Tracking. http://www.HourDoc.com is right treatment for time and labor management processes has to be an easy-to-administer and affordable solution for Freelancers, supervisors, employees and HR and payroll managers. They offer free application to companies less than 50 employees. You must Try it!

[Diedit pada 2009-12-11 13:16 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Time-tracking software - looking for a small, free time-tracking program to use when proofreadin

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »