Extracting subtitles from DVD
Thread poster: SashaNa
SashaNa
SashaNa
Belgium
Oct 22, 2016

Dear all,

I would need to extract the subtitles (including time codes if possible) from a DVD. Does anyone have any experience with this (good software, legality, etc.)? A quick search on the internet gives me a ton of tips and tricks, but I have no idea what is decent and what is not, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Sasha

Sylvano
Sylvano
Local time: 15:37
English to French
Illegal, I think Oct 22, 2016

I'd say ripping subtitles from a DVD is illegal.

jbjb
jbjb  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 16:37
Estonian to English
+ ...
rip Oct 22, 2016

You can use anything that works in your computer, like the classical SubRip (that has given a name to the format of ripped subtitles)
http://www.videohelp.com/software/Subrip

In any case you will be performing a theft of copyrighted material.

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:37
French to Spanish
+ ...
As jbjb... Oct 22, 2016

...SubRip is OK and free.
Of course it'll extract Time Codes at the same time in .srt format.
Beware, SubRip will ask you: "What letter is this?"...take your time to answer for special caracters.
Then, it'll run fast.
About legality, it depends on what do you want to do with the subtitles.

[Editado a las 2016-10-22 17:33 GMT]

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Yes, it is. Oct 23, 2016

Sylvano wrote:

I'd say ripping subtitles from a DVD is illegal.

Unless the copyright holder is ordering this service, or gives his/her written permission.

SashaNa
SashaNa
Belgium
TOPIC STARTER
Legal with references? Oct 23, 2016

The extracted subtitles would be used for research in an academic paper, so an extensive bibliography and referencing system would be used. Plus, it would be clearly indicated that the researcher has no rights to the subtitles or content on the DVD. Would that take care of the copyright issues?

[Edited at 2016-10-23 08:13 GMT]

Sylvano
Sylvano
English to French
Not sure at all Oct 23, 2016

I guess you would still have to ask for permission and get consent from the copyright owner...

Thayenga
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Copyright Oct 23, 2016

SashaNa wrote:

The extracted subtitles would be used for research in an academic paper, so an extensive bibliography and referencing system would be used. Plus, it would be clearly indicated that the researcher has no rights to the subtitles or content on the DVD. Would that take care of the copyright issues?

Well, somebody has produced the DVD and the subtitles. The purpose of these subtitles, what they will be used for, has little effect on the copyright. However, if the owner of the/all rights to the product surrenders these in writing, then this would eliminate the danger of any copyright infringements.

Sylvano
Sylvano
English to French
Maybe not that simple Oct 23, 2016

Thayenga wrote:

SashaNa wrote:

Well, somebody has produced the DVD and the subtitles. The purpose of these subtitles, what they will be used for, has little effect on the copyright.

Depends on where you are. In France, subtitles are considered as an "oeuvre" and the translator as an author. If you want to use, reproduce or modify my subs, you have to ask me permission to do so. It's the law. If you don't and I sue you, you could be condemned as a counterfeiter.

Thayenga
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
The law says it is Oct 24, 2016

Sylvano wrote:

Thayenga wrote:

SashaNa wrote:

Well, somebody has produced the DVD and the subtitles. The purpose of these subtitles, what they will be used for, has little effect on the copyright.

Depends on where you are. In France, subtitles are considered as an "oeuvre" and the translator as an author. If you want to use, reproduce or modify my subs, you have to ask me permission to do so. It's the law. If you don't and I sue you, you could be condemned as a counterfeiter.

Well, it is that simply... as I've said before. Now, this doesn't apply when you leave out the most important part of my answer in your reply.

Thayenga wrote:
However, if the owner of the/all rights to the product surrenders these in writing, then this would eliminate the danger of any copyright infringements.

As I stated above, no matter what you might wish to use any copyrighted material for, the purpose doesn't affect the copyrights of the author, but will infringe these rights if you don't obtain written permission prior to using it.

[Edited at 2016-10-24 08:44 GMT]

Mark
Mark
Italian to English
Fair use Oct 24, 2016

SashaNa wrote:

The extracted subtitles would be used for research in an academic paper

Sounds like fair use to me; there are restrictions on that in any case.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Extracting subtitles from DVD

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »