Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >
Leaving the EU - what does this mean for us?
Thread poster: Maaike van Vlijmen
Maaike van Vlijmen
Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:46
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 25, 2016

Hello all,

I was just wondering if I am the only one freaking out about the UK Referendum result… I have seen two threads here on proz on the referendum, but not many people seem to talk about the business implications. I am actually very worried about this. I love being a self-employed translator and I love living in Northern Ireland (I am Dutch). My partner and I recently bought a house here and we intend to stay. However, if the UK is no longer part of the EU, I am afraid every
... See more
Hello all,

I was just wondering if I am the only one freaking out about the UK Referendum result… I have seen two threads here on proz on the referendum, but not many people seem to talk about the business implications. I am actually very worried about this. I love being a self-employed translator and I love living in Northern Ireland (I am Dutch). My partner and I recently bought a house here and we intend to stay. However, if the UK is no longer part of the EU, I am afraid everything will become very complicated. I am thinking of taxes, paperwork, money. About 95% of my work comes from Italy, I only have one client in the UK (in Scotland… so not ideal).

How do all the other translators who are EU citizens living in the UK feel about this? Do you already have a plan? I am thinking of maybe moving my business to the Netherlands, but I don't know how this would work out tax-wise. I guess I should just wait and see what's going to happen before worrying too much about the future, but I can't help but need some emotional support here.

Many thanks!!
Maaike
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:46
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Long live Ireland Jun 25, 2016

Most of my work comes from Italy too.

Why not just move across the border to the Irish Republic? You'd be welcome.

Alternatively since the majority in NI voted to remain in the EU, if Sinn Fein's demand for the North to join the South is successful, maybe you can stay where you are

Sláinte

[Edited at 2016-06-25 13:46 GMT]

Maaike van Vlijmen
Netherlands
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I love Ireland, but... Jun 25, 2016

… as I mentioned, we just bought a house here. And my partner (who is Portuguese) has a job here at the university. I'd love to stay here in Belfast.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Italy Jun 25, 2016

Even though the UK will no longer be in the EU, you will still be able communicate with the rest of the world, although according to all the financial experts, the value of your (and my) British Pounds will decrease, your (and my) cost of living will increase, and the current bank transfer arrangements may no longer work.

I'm as unhappy and concerned as you are, and am considering my options.

[Edited at 2016-06-25 13:55 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It's too soon to know! Jun 25, 2016

As far as I know, the negotiation process between the UK and the EU will last two years and during this period you’ll probably have no problem, besides the inevitable economic and financial implications, let’s wait and see. Good luck!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Millions Jun 25, 2016

Teresa Borges wrote:

As far as I know, the negotiation process between the UK and the EU will last two years and during this period you’ll probably have no problem, besides the inevitable economic and financial implications, let’s wait and see. Good luck!

According to something I heard yesterday there are about 5 million EU citizen residents in the UK . The ones I know personally are all very worried since nobody knows what is going to happen and the Brexiteers have no plan, other than saying that everything is going to be all right. Some of these people have been here for 20 years and have had children here, born in an EU Member State that will no longer be an EU Member State. It's very easy to say that "this will all be worked out" but working it out - along with about a million other problems -is going to be quite a task and will waste tremendous amounts of our time. Or rather, is*already* wasting tremendous amounts of our time.

[Edited at 2016-06-25 14:03 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Puzzled..... Jun 25, 2016

Maaike van Vlijmen wrote:

I love Ireland, but as I mentioned, we just bought a house here. And my partner (who is Portuguese) has a job here at the university. I'd love to stay here in Belfast.

Belfast is in Ireland !

Maaike van Vlijmen
Netherlands
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I mean Ireland as in the Irish Republic Jun 25, 2016

I don't think there will be a united Ireland.

Tom, since most of your work is also coming from Italy, aren't you worried?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Hmmm Jun 25, 2016

I don't think there will be a united Ireland.

That's not what most Irish people think, and I'm one of them

Tom, since most of your work is also coming from Italy, aren't you worried?

No, rather than worry about things, I'm politically active here in London and there's a lot of political work to do now. We have to start from where we are.

As a translator, I only worry about the quality of my work. As long as the quality's good, I'm sure I can deal with all the other problems.

The new problems created by the Brexiteers are going to affect thousands of small businesses and sole traders like us who work internationally. The Brexiteers will have to solve those problems themselves without creating any more of that red tape, which they said they were getting rid of. I expect them to do that.

[Edited at 2016-06-25 14:23 GMT]

Maaike van Vlijmen
Netherlands
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks!! :-) Jun 25, 2016

Thanks Tom, I needed that.

I lived in Belfast from 2009 until late 2013, then moved to Germany. Came running back in March last year ;-D
So yes, I know the 12th quite well… I also know things here are very complicated. Personally I wouldn't mind one big happy Ireland.

Thanks again for your words.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Lucky translators Jun 25, 2016

Post-the Brexit vote, small traders who have to buy materials from EU countries are already feeling the difference.

I know of one person who works with textiles and who buys her fabrics, colours, etc. from other countries.

Because of yesterday's dramatic fall in the value of the pound she has already begun paying about 10% more for these materials, and she can't increase her prices. She says that she may not be able to keep her business afloat.

UK-based tra
... See more
Post-the Brexit vote, small traders who have to buy materials from EU countries are already feeling the difference.

I know of one person who works with textiles and who buys her fabrics, colours, etc. from other countries.

Because of yesterday's dramatic fall in the value of the pound she has already begun paying about 10% more for these materials, and she can't increase her prices. She says that she may not be able to keep her business afloat.

UK-based translators are fortunate, because we don't need to buy any raw materials for the work we do.
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Hum... Jun 25, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

UK-based translators are fortunate, because we don't need to buy any raw materials for the work we do.

Does it mean that if a UK-based client needs to buy my translation, they will have to pay more? I know translations are no raw materials, I am just applying the same analogy...

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Afraid so.. Jun 25, 2016

Lingua 5B wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Does it mean that if a UK-based client needs to buy my translation, they will have to pay more? I know translations are no raw materials, I am just applying the same analogy...

I fear you would be if you are charging in Euro and they are paying you in GBP; in that case it will cost them more because of the lower value of GBP. IF they are paying you in Euro (even though they are in the UK but have a euro account) there should be no difference.

[Edited at 2016-06-25 15:00 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
As I said yesterday (deleted thread)... Jun 25, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

According to something I heard yesterday there are about 5 million EU citizen residents in the UK . The ones I know personally are all very worried since nobody knows what is going to happen and the Brexiteers have no plan, other than saying that everything is going to be all right. Some of these people have been here for 20 years and have had children here, born in an EU Member State that will no longer be an EU Member State. It's very easy to say that "this will all be worked out" but working it out - along with about a million other problems -is going to be quite a task and will waste tremendous amounts of our time. Or rather, is*already* wasting tremendous amounts of our time.

[Edited at 2016-06-25 14:03 GMT]

... that's the case of one of my brothers (he’s Portuguese like me): he studied International Hotel Management in England, married a Brit, worked all over the world and chose a small English village for his retirement… He's extremely worried!

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
UK clients Jun 25, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

I fear you would be if you are charging in Euro and they are paying you in GBP; in that case it will cost them more because of the lower value of GBP. IF they are paying you in Euro (even though they are in the UK but have a euro account) there should be no difference.

[Edited at 2016-06-25 15:00 GMT]

UK clients always preferred to set the rates in GBP. Perhaps that will change now.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Leaving the EU - what does this mean for us?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »