Thread poster: Eileen Brophy
Eileen Brophy
Eileen Brophy  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 2, 2016

I have been asked to give my rate per 1000 words in £s, could anyone give me an idea of the current rate please. I normally charge in Euros as I live in Spain and I give a rate per word.

Thank you very much for your help

Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:36
German to English
+ ...
Decide your rate and then multiple by 1000 Aug 2, 2016

Eileen Brophy wrote:

I have been asked to give my rate per 1000 words in £s, could anyone give me an idea of the current rate please. I normally charge in Euros as I live in Spain and I give a rate per word.

Thank you very much for your help

Well I can't tell you how much to charge. But all you need to do is take whatever per-word rate you are charging and multiply it by 1000.

So if you charge GBP 0.09 per word (just an example) your rate would be quoted as GBP 90 per thousand.

GBP 0.09 x 1000 = GBP 90 per thousand

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
That's easy Aug 2, 2016

Currently, €1 ≈ £0.84, so just multiply your usual rate in euros/word by 840. I don't think it makes much sense to adjust your rates for the local market differences - after all, both UK and Spain are first-world countries.

Eileen Brophy
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Spain First World Country??!!! Aug 2, 2016

Anton Konashenok wrote:

Currently, €1 ≈ £0.84, so just multiply your usual rate in euros/word by 840. I don't think it makes much sense to adjust your rates for the local market differences - after all, both UK and Spain are first-world countries.

The rates paid in the UK have nothing to do with the rates normally paid in Spain Anton, but thank you for the suggestion.

Regards,

Eileen

Angela Malik
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
I wouldn't advise going by currency exchange rates Aug 2, 2016

Anton Konashenok wrote:

Brexit is making the rate pretty unstable. You don't want to hinge your earnings on a fluctuating exchange rate.

Also rates in the UK can differ greatly from other first-world countries. Case in point, German to English translation generally sells for much more in Germany than in the UK.

The Spanish economy hasn't been great since the financial crisis, and my impression from my own encounters with Spanish agencies is that they don't have the budgets that UK agencies do. So it would be worth investigating what Spanish to English translation is selling for in the UK and base your GBP rate on that, not the exchange rate.

Haluk Aka, Chartered Linguist (MCIL)

Eileen Brophy
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Poor at maths but good at writing Aug 2, 2016

Angela Rimmer wrote:

Well I can't tell you how much to charge. But all you need to do is take whatever per-word rate you are charging and multiply it by 1000.

So if you charge GBP 0.09 per word (just an example) your rate would be quoted as GBP 90 per thousand.

GBP 0.09 x 1000 = GBP 90 per thousand

Thank you Angela, I am a disaster with numbers, but will bear that in mind. I just wanted an idea of the average rate in the UK for 1000 words if possible.

Regards,

Eileen

Angela Malik
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
When I worked for a UK agency... Aug 2, 2016

If it's any use to you, Eileen, when I was working in a UK agency, Spanish to English translation was normally selling for about £50-80 per thousand. I have no idea if that is still the case.

Eileen Brophy
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Where can I find average rates? Aug 2, 2016

Thank you for the information Angela. What would you suggest would be a good way of finding out current rates per 1000 words now please?

Thanks again,

Eileen

Angela Malik
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
ProZ community board? Aug 2, 2016

http://search.proz.com/employers/rates

But it doesn't separate rates into specific markets and doesn't post GBP rates.

Eileen Brophy
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Community Board Aug 2, 2016

OK Thanks, I will take a look there. Didn't know about that one.

Georgie Scott
Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Brexit troubles Aug 3, 2016

FYI, I think in general my UK rates are about 10-20% higher than my Spanish rates but it's worth noting, because there may be other people in the same boat, that I haven't done any translation work for the UK since the Brexit result because the exchange rates are in flux, which essentially means all the rates I've agreed to in the past have been lowered (I operate in both countries).

In any case, I would just quote what seems reasonable to you based on the exchange rate you will be
... See more
FYI, I think in general my UK rates are about 10-20% higher than my Spanish rates but it's worth noting, because there may be other people in the same boat, that I haven't done any translation work for the UK since the Brexit result because the exchange rates are in flux, which essentially means all the rates I've agreed to in the past have been lowered (I operate in both countries).

In any case, I would just quote what seems reasonable to you based on the exchange rate you will be subject to - and then deal with any eventual negotiation of that rate according to what you feel is reasonable/feasible.

And, as Angela said, just multiply your per word rate by 1,000 to get the "per thousand word" rate.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
You're spending euros Aug 3, 2016

Eileen Brophy wrote:

As you need to spend euros, and the exchange rate is very volatile at the moment, why risk working for less than you need to earn? It's their decision, as a UK agency, to hand work to a freelancer living in the eurozone, so they should expect to pay in euros. The compromise I make is that I'll convert the invoice to GBP at the rate in force at the invoice date. But I can only do that because I have a sterling bank account in the UK. Having them make a sterling transfer into my Spanish bank account would cost me money, so I don't allow it. If I did, I'd charge them extra for the facility.

We aren't banks, and if we were banks we'd charge for our banking services.

[Edited at 2016-08-03 15:09 GMT]

Eileen Brophy
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Spending Euros Aug 3, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:
As you need to spend euros, and the exchange rate is very volatile at the moment, why risk working for less than you need to earn? It's their decision, as a UK agency, to hand work to a freelancer living in the eurozone, so they should expect to pay in euros. The compromise I make is that I'll convert the invoice to GBP at the rate in force at the invoice date. But I can only do that because I have a sterling bank account in the UK. Having them make a sterling transfer into my Spanish bank account would cost me money, so I don't allow it. If I did, I'd charge them extra for the facility.

We aren't banks, and if we were banks we'd charge for our banking services.

[Edited at 2016-08-03 15:09 GMT]

I should ask the agency then to pay me in Euros, you think Sheila and let them pay the exchange rates instead of me paying them? That is a good idea, thanks.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:36
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Client's currency Aug 3, 2016

As a customer service, I always quote in the client's currency. I review exchange rates periodically and adjust accordingly.

I have also taken into account the table shown at http://search.proz.com/employers/rates . I find that in the eurozone I can charge about the standard rate, in the UK and North America somewhat higher (20% - 30%), and at the low end when bidding competitively.

Maggie WAKEFIELD
Maggie WAKEFIELD  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Suggested translation rates from NUJ Aug 4, 2016

http://www.londonfreelance.org/feesguide/index.php?§ion=Translation
might be of interest if you want to know what a UK based translator might charge.

Does the client use PayPal? If so, payment in £ shouldn't be a problem in practical terms, and the exchange rate does seem to have settled for the moment.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Current rates in £ per 1000 words

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »