Thread poster: Dr. phil. Christiane Bohnert
Dr. phil. Christiane Bohnert
Dr. phil. Christiane Bohnert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:50
English to German
Aug 2, 2017

Dear colleagues,

I am trying to update my Wordfast TM with my Trados Studio TM. So I created a TMX file and via Okapi I tried to turn it into a txt Wordfast TM. Okapi, however, stops at 53338 units (my TM has 112000), the conversion does not happen.

I also tried importing first my Wordfast TM into TMX and thence into my Trados TM, and back into a Wordfast TM, but when trying to apply it, I got the dreaded "invalid characters message, and no fiddling with Okapi seemed to
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I am trying to update my Wordfast TM with my Trados Studio TM. So I created a TMX file and via Okapi I tried to turn it into a txt Wordfast TM. Okapi, however, stops at 53338 units (my TM has 112000), the conversion does not happen.

I also tried importing first my Wordfast TM into TMX and thence into my Trados TM, and back into a Wordfast TM, but when trying to apply it, I got the dreaded "invalid characters message, and no fiddling with Okapi seemed to fix the invalid characters or Okapi being stuck at 53338. I also tried the TMValidator that somebody had recommended on an earlier post, but it did not work.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Collapse

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Heartsome TMX Editor (free) Aug 2, 2017

Have you tried it instead of Okapi? https://github.com/thepegasus/tmxeditor8

Saludos

United States
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you but does not seem to work offline Aug 2, 2017

Thank you, Jorge, but I downloaded the zip, and there was not executable file in it. I certainly won't edit the TM on the open web.

Best regards,

Christiane

[email protected]

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Link for downloading Aug 2, 2017

Dr. phil. Christiane Bohnert wrote:

Thank you, Jorge, but I downloaded the zip, and there was not executable file in it. I certainly won't edit the TM on the open web.

Best regards,

Christiane

[email protected]

Please try this link for downloading: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B686uw1gGJ7gTXZDVUtCVjYxWVk

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:50
Member (2006)
French to English
Try WFP3 or WFA Aug 3, 2017

Hi Christiane,
You could try uploading the TMX to WFA, and then downloading it again. For some reason, this seams to work, and I think it just skips segments with corrupt characters. Otherwise, if you use WFP3, it tells you what line in the TMX file contains an error and what it is. Then you have to open the TMX file with a text editor and fix it. It is usually an unsupported code for an apostrophe or accented character. Search for all instances and replace with the character it should be.
... See more
Hi Christiane,
You could try uploading the TMX to WFA, and then downloading it again. For some reason, this seams to work, and I think it just skips segments with corrupt characters. Otherwise, if you use WFP3, it tells you what line in the TMX file contains an error and what it is. Then you have to open the TMX file with a text editor and fix it. It is usually an unsupported code for an apostrophe or accented character. Search for all instances and replace with the character it should be.
Hope this helps,
John
Collapse

United States
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, John, but... Aug 3, 2017

Thank you, John. I tried uploading the tmx file to WFP3, and it had a very long list of lines that "contain tabulation" (whatever that means), and one "fatal error" containing the character "" (which I know is not part of that tmx file, as it is not part of my Trados TM). Text editors (Notepad, WordPad) too react to this fatal error, and do not open the tmx file.

As to uploading to Wordfast Anywhere I have never done that before, and do not know how. Also, does it not compromis
... See more
Thank you, John. I tried uploading the tmx file to WFP3, and it had a very long list of lines that "contain tabulation" (whatever that means), and one "fatal error" containing the character "" (which I know is not part of that tmx file, as it is not part of my Trados TM). Text editors (Notepad, WordPad) too react to this fatal error, and do not open the tmx file.

As to uploading to Wordfast Anywhere I have never done that before, and do not know how. Also, does it not compromise the security of the file?

Again, thank you for trying to solve my problem.

Best regards,

Christiane

[email protected]
Collapse

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Check confidentiality statement Aug 3, 2017

As to uploading to Wordfast Anywhere I have never done that before, and do not know how. Also, does it not compromise the security of the file?

Hi again,
Check the confidentiality statement in the terms and conditions: https://www.freetm.com/files/doc/terms.html

Best,
John

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Try CafeTran? Aug 3, 2017

Dear colleagues,

I also tried importing first my Wordfast TM into TMX and thence into my Trados TM, and back into a Wordfast TM, but when trying to apply it, I got the dreaded "invalid characters message, and no fiddling with Okapi seemed to fix the invalid characters or Okapi being stuck at 53338. I also tried the TMValidator that somebody had recommended on an earlier post, but it did not work.

CafeTran deals with these invalid characters in TMX files from Trados and SDL. You can use the evaluation version for this conversion.

United States
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much! Aug 3, 2017

Dear Colleagues,

Thank you all for your responses. John's solution with Wordfast Anywhere did in fact work! I can recommend it.

Best regards,

Christiane

[email protected]

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
CafeTran removes invalid characters from Studio TMX Aug 7, 2017

CafeTran Training wrote:

Dear colleagues,

CafeTran deals with these invalid characters in TMX files from Trados and SDL. You can use the evaluation version for this conversion.

I just had such a legacy TMX file with old Trados Workbench TUs in it. CafeTran presented me this dialogue box:

Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 10.19.38

After clicking the Remove button, the TMX file was cleaned and could be used by CafeTran right away (no prior import necessary).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio TMX to Wordfast Pro TM via Okapi fails

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »