Taming Windows
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Apr 8, 2020

In my home office I’m using my MBP, connected to a Thunderbolt display and an iPad.

I’m translating in CafeTran for Mac on the large display. On the MBP’s screen I have a Unilex dictionary running in Windows 10 under VMware Fusion.

I noticed that the fan regularly started blowing. The Activity Monitor showed the VM being the culprit.

Unlike Parallels, Fusion doesn’t provide an Isolated Mode.

I’m now using Windows’ Airplane Mode.
... See more
In my home office I’m using my MBP, connected to a Thunderbolt display and an iPad.

I’m translating in CafeTran for Mac on the large display. On the MBP’s screen I have a Unilex dictionary running in Windows 10 under VMware Fusion.

I noticed that the fan regularly started blowing. The Activity Monitor showed the VM being the culprit.

Unlike Parallels, Fusion doesn’t provide an Isolated Mode.

I’m now using Windows’ Airplane Mode. All communication with the internet is running via macOS (Catalina).

BTW: On the iPad (connected to the MBP via Duet Display) I have the PDF of the manual that I’m translating. The iPad is in upright position and displays a whole page. Segments are synced with CafeTran via an AppleScript for Skim. The script is executed via Keyboard Maestro.

Sounds like a lot of whistles and bells, but once set up, it works like a charm.

Perhaps I’ll never want to return to my office. Even the coffee is better here.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
OneDrive Apr 8, 2020

I've also removed the annoying OneDrive, which I didn't use but nevertheless constantly popped up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEON63UKmM0

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Taming Windows

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »