Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Please contribute to the translator opinion poll (TOP)
Thread poster: Tom Hoar (X)
Tom Hoar (X)
Tom Hoar (X)
United States
Local time: 13:52
English
Mar 21, 2018

TOP is not just another translator survey. Two partners with genuine and transparent objectives have sponsored this survey.

The “Altiero Spinelli” Municipal School of Interpreters and Translators partnered in this survey to design curricula that prepare translators for our real and changing world.

Way2Global S.r.l. SB is the second partner. The “SB” means Way2Globalg was setup and certified as a B-Corp. Ne
... See more
TOP is not just another translator survey. Two partners with genuine and transparent objectives have sponsored this survey.

The “Altiero Spinelli” Municipal School of Interpreters and Translators partnered in this survey to design curricula that prepare translators for our real and changing world.

Way2Global S.r.l. SB is the second partner. The “SB” means Way2Globalg was setup and certified as a B-Corp. Never heard of B-Corps? According to bcorporation.net, B-Corps are for-profit companies certified by the nonprofit B Lab to meet rigorous standards of social performance, accountability, and transparency.

As a B-Corp, Way2Globalg’s bylaws compel it to operate with corporate and CSR policies that first and foremost benefit translators. You’ve probably never heard of an agency specifically created to benefit translators, and it’s probably not a surprise that Way2Globalg is the world’s first LSP certified as a B-Corp.

Also, It’s probably not a surprise that Way2Global can’t “operate with corporate and CSR policies that benefit the translators” unless they know what translators need and want. The insights you share by completing this survey will help them design a next-generation business and technologies that benefit the translator.

With your input, we can create a next generation future where #translatorsruntheparty.

Please click here and take a few minutes to fill in the questionnaire.

http://www.translatoropinionpoll.com/

What’s my role inviting you to complete the survey? Way2Global chose Slate Rocks, LLC as a technology supplier because of our unique translator-centric approach to machine translation technology. We are working together to move our translation services industry to a sustainable and next-generation future.

If you're not a translator but work with them and care about their future, please forward this link.
Collapse

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson
Spain
Local time: 18:52
Catalan to English
+ ...
? Mar 21, 2018

Tom Hoar wrote:

TOP / The “Altiero Spinelli” Municipal School of Interpreters and Translators / Way2Global S.r.l. SB / B Lab#translatorsruntheparty / Slate Rocks, LLC

The only thing I've gleaned from this post is that someone, somewhere, wants to design a course for translators.

What's all the rest about?

Tom Hoar (X)
Tom Hoar (X)
United States
English
TOPIC STARTER
?? Mar 21, 2018

Did you ever wish an agency or customer would ask you what you want and how the customer/agency/translation should evolve? If so, this is an opportunity to tell them.

Otherwise, can you be more specific with your question?

[Edited at 2018-03-21 07:50 GMT]

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Top and Bottom Mar 21, 2018

Tom Hoar wrote:

As a B-Corp, Way2Globalg’s bylaws compel it to operate with corporate and CSR policies that first and foremost benefit translators. You’ve probably never heard of an agency specifically created to benefit translators, and it’s probably not a surprise that Way2Globalg is the world’s first LSP certified as a B-Corp.

Also, It’s probably not a surprise that Way2Global can’t “operate with corporate and CSR policies that benefit the translators” unless they know what translators need and want. The insights you share by completing this survey will help them design a next-generation business and technologies that benefit the translator.

What’s my role inviting you to complete the survey? Way2Global chose Slate Rocks, LLC as a technology supplier because of our unique translator-centric approach to machine translation technology. We are working together to move our translation services industry to a sustainable and next-generation future.

Leaving aside the heavy handed advertising/PR speech (which seems to be in line with the nature of this initiative...) and the fact that understanding "what translators need and want" shouldn't be rocket science in the first place, it sounds as if an artisan workshop(?) owner commissioned a "worker satisfaction survey" to a "factory automation solutions provider"...

Tom Hoar (X)
Tom Hoar (X)
United States
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Mirko Mar 21, 2018

The school, Way2Global and you are all three in Italy. You're welcome to scrutinize all you like. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

-- Tom

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:52
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Won't accept correct birth date. Mar 21, 2018

Asks for birth date in form DDMMYYYY, I give it that and it keeps telling me (in Italian) "Please enter correct date". I eventually gave up on the whole thing because of this.

Tom Hoar (X)
Tom Hoar (X)
United States
English
TOPIC STARTER
Birthday format Mar 21, 2018

Thanks, Jack. I see you have some gray like me. Maybe the young whipper-snappers who setup the SurveyMoney questions didn't account for our year numbers.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Europeans only Mar 21, 2018

I gather this poll is for Europeans only, as other countries (such as Canada) are not included in the list of possible nationalities. So that's as far as I got.

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:52
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Same here Mar 21, 2018

John Fossey wrote:

I gather this poll is for Europeans only, as other countries (such as Canada) are not included in the list of possible nationalities. So that's as far as I got.

No "Turkey" either... Oh well...

W2G
W2G  Identity Verified
Italy
Not only European... Mar 21, 2018

Recep Kurt wrote:

John Fossey wrote:

No "Turkey" either... Oh well...

The poll was intended to be the first pan-European survey focused on the figure of the modern translator. Anyway, everyone from all over the world is welcome to take part in it; you just need to write your nationality in the field "Other".

[Edited at 2018-03-21 14:24 GMT]

The Misha
The Misha
Russian to English
+ ...
Nope Mar 21, 2018

Tom Hoar wrote:

Did you ever wish an agency or customer would ask you what you want and how the customer/agency/translation should evolve? If so, this is an opportunity to tell them.

Come again? The customer usually asks me if I can translate the text they have by the deadline they have to meet and how much it will cost them. I tell them. That's all there is to it. Or am I missing something?

[chuckle] Who am I to tell them how they "should evolve"? And why would I even care?

W2G
W2G  Identity Verified
Italy
Top and Bottom Mar 21, 2018

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Tom Hoar wrote:

Leaving aside the heavy handed advertising/PR speech (which seems to be in line with the nature of this initiative...) and the fact that understanding "what translators need and want" shouldn't be rocket science in the first place, it sounds as if an artisan workshop(?) owner commissioned a "worker satisfaction survey" to a "factory automation solutions provider"...

Dear Mirko,
Thanks for your comments. However, pls. note that TOP is by far the opposite of an advertising action. It was born as a research project on Social Innovation within the framework of our partnership with the School for Interpreters and Translators Altiero Spinelli. If we would have aimed at promoting or advertising it for profit, we would have chosen different channels than the Proz portal. The only purpose of TOP is to investigate the relation of translators with technology during this complex and revolutionary age for the language industry. And what you mention as a “factory automation solutions provider” is probably the one and only provider of language technology acting with a humanistic vision and approach to our market.

Tom Hoar (X)
Tom Hoar (X)
United States
English
TOPIC STARTER
Survey glitches Mar 21, 2018

Hi Everyone. I've passed these issues to the school that manages the surveymonkey account. They're working on fixes. I hope to have good news tomorrow. Thanks for you patience.

-- W2G's response and my message crossed in review. --

Tom

[Edited at 2018-03-22 00:12 GMT]

Tom Hoar (X)
Tom Hoar (X)
United States
English
TOPIC STARTER
Nope Nope Mar 22, 2018

The Misha wrote:
Who am I to tell them how they "should evolve"? And why would I even care?

Hi Misha, I haven't asked you to tell clients how they should evolve or suggested you should care. This is simply an invitation to step through a door and participate. It's your choice. Thanks for reading this post and for your feedback. -- Tom

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Still no idea.... Mar 22, 2018

Tom Hoar wrote:

Do I wish the client would accept my (slightly inflated) stated fee rather than let me be haggled down to a merely acceptable one?
Yes

Do I wish the client would stop sending me the kind of PDFs which give me and my OCR nightmares and just send me a straightforward Word file?
Yes

Do I wish they'd be more realistic with their delivery dates?
Of course.

I've spent 40 years trying to convince them of the above, amongst others.

Don't think you or any of the various entities you've mentioned will do any better than me but if you think you can, that's fine by me.

Still don't understand what you're talking about though.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please contribute to the translator opinion poll (TOP)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »