How should I get paid as a project manager?
Thread poster: Rea Bartlett Tandon
Rea Bartlett Tandon
Rea Bartlett Tandon
Bulgaria
Local time: 21:26
French to English
+ ...
Nov 13, 2020

Hi everyone!

So I’m a translation student (Master’s level, if that makes any difference) and am just starting a freelance partnership with a company. On top of performing translations for them myself, they also want me to act as a project manager for the language combinations I cannot translate between personally.

As I am charging per word for my translation services, I’m not sure how I should charge for the project management part for other translations. A small
... See more
Hi everyone!

So I’m a translation student (Master’s level, if that makes any difference) and am just starting a freelance partnership with a company. On top of performing translations for them myself, they also want me to act as a project manager for the language combinations I cannot translate between personally.

As I am charging per word for my translation services, I’m not sure how I should charge for the project management part for other translations. A small percentage of the overall project price, or a small price per word? Does anyone have and ideas or experience with this kind of setup?

Thank you in advance!
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
By the hour Nov 13, 2020

I would charge by the hour. All other forms of pricing are just an approximation of an hourly labour rate anyway.

I’m intrigued by this arrangement though. It is pretty unusual...

Josephine Cassar
Sheila Wilson
Kevin Fulton
P.L.F. Persio
Angus Stewart
Sabine Braun
IrinaN

Rea Bartlett Tandon
Rea Bartlett Tandon
Bulgaria
Local time: 21:26
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
By the hour Nov 13, 2020

Good point, thank you
Yeah it's not something I've come across much before either. As it's a startup web-based company I'll be working with, I think they just want to employ someone to deal with the whole translation side of things while they work on developing the actual product.
Thank again for your input!

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 20:26
German to Swedish
+ ...
By project + percentage? Nov 13, 2020

Your customer will strongly prefer a fixed cost.

I suggest a base fee per project, covering perhaps half an hour's work, plus a percentage of the project price (when price > some amount).
Or, if you're a gambler, a (higher) fee per project.

Maybe agree to this for X projects (at least 20-30) with the understanding that you may want to renegotiate later. If you turn out to have been wildly optimistic, that's a useful beginner's experience.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
P.L.F. Persio

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 14:26
English to Russian
+ ...
Do you know what you are about to manage? Nov 13, 2020

Sorry but I doubt that you fully realize what project management is. Their approach is very strange indeed. This is the case when you have nothing to guess about until the client presents an offer followed by a very detailed and specific description of duties and responsibilities.

Half an hour? Are you about to deal with translators, editors, proofreaders and end clients? Monitor deadlines, invoices and payments? Handle delivery of glossaries, take calls and emails with questions? B
... See more
Sorry but I doubt that you fully realize what project management is. Their approach is very strange indeed. This is the case when you have nothing to guess about until the client presents an offer followed by a very detailed and specific description of duties and responsibilities.

Half an hour? Are you about to deal with translators, editors, proofreaders and end clients? Monitor deadlines, invoices and payments? Handle delivery of glossaries, take calls and emails with questions? Be available 24/7 before the project is all done and delivered? Or simply work as the last in the assembly line and a shipper after everyone else did their job?

Without knowing the above there are no boundaries to how they can take advantage of you in the future.
Collapse

Barbara Carrara
P.L.F. Persio
Vanda Nissen

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 13:26
Dutch to English
+ ...
off-topic Nov 13, 2020

Don't start a sentence with 'So' - it is superfluous.

John Fossey
Jan Truper

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
MT and MTPE Nov 14, 2020

Rea Bartlett Tandon wrote:
As it's a startup web-based company I'll be working with, I think they just want to employ someone to deal with the whole translation side of things while they work on developing the actual product.

(emphasis mine)

Having read Rea's comment and her profile, it appears that she will be helping the company with their machine translation development and set-up across a number of languages, even 'those language combinations I cannot translate between personally' (quoted from Rea's initial post).

As a (human) translator, I am strongly averse to MT and MTPE (which I truly abhor, having had a few nightmarish experiences in the past), so all I can do is wish Rea good luck.

Barbara out!

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hours Nov 14, 2020

So difficult to decide? I don't think so. You're being paid by the word on the other bit, right? Then, as Chris S said right at the beginning here, you just work out how much you earn in an hour from that, add a bit on because why not, they'll never know, and keep a close watch on your hours. At the beginning, tell them you did X hours today, Y hours yesterday, and Z hours the day before, to give them an idea of what you're going to be charging, to give them the chance to say, What, whoa ...!. <... See more
So difficult to decide? I don't think so. You're being paid by the word on the other bit, right? Then, as Chris S said right at the beginning here, you just work out how much you earn in an hour from that, add a bit on because why not, they'll never know, and keep a close watch on your hours. At the beginning, tell them you did X hours today, Y hours yesterday, and Z hours the day before, to give them an idea of what you're going to be charging, to give them the chance to say, What, whoa ...!.

"act as a project manager for the language combinations I cannot translate between personally."

Do you even know how many languages there are, or what kind of workload you'll have? Best to ask right at the start. Most translation outfits "handle" translations from just about any language to just about any language.

[Edited at 2020-11-14 10:31 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio

Ivana Kahle
Ivana Kahle  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
German to Croatian
+ ...
Don't sell yourself short Nov 15, 2020

https://www.stepstone.de/gehalt/Uebersetzungsmanager-in.html

The site is German, bear in mind that the amounts are gross amounts.

Good luck!

P.L.F. Persio

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How should I get paid as a project manager?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »