How to quote translation from Asian languages to English?
Thread poster: Kateryna Volobuieva
Kateryna Volobuieva
Kateryna Volobuieva  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:59
Member (2013)
English to Russian
+ ...
Dec 11, 2020

Dear colleagues,

I am trying to figure out how to quote translation from Asian languages into English and hope you could share your thoughts with me. Should I quote based on haracters number in the source? The cutomer wants to have the budget before we start working on the project, and thus I'm unable to quote based on the target word count. The languages they want to translate from are Japanese, Korean, Chinese (both Simplified and Traditional variants) and Vietnamese.

... See more
Dear colleagues,

I am trying to figure out how to quote translation from Asian languages into English and hope you could share your thoughts with me. Should I quote based on haracters number in the source? The cutomer wants to have the budget before we start working on the project, and thus I'm unable to quote based on the target word count. The languages they want to translate from are Japanese, Korean, Chinese (both Simplified and Traditional variants) and Vietnamese.

Any info would be helpful.

Thank you in advance!
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:59
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Characters Dec 11, 2020

Kateryna Volobuieva wrote:
The languages they want to translate from are Japanese, Korean, Chinese (both Simplified and Traditional variants) and Vietnamese.

For Japanese I use character count. Copy the text into Word, then click on the word count indicator at the left of the bottom task/status bar. It should show "characters" and Asian characters. That will give you some idea, at least. Don't know about Korean, not sure about Chinese but assume characters as well.

Dan

Mina Chen
Mina Chen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:59
English to Chinese
+ ...
Same with Chinese. Dec 12, 2020

Dan Lucas wrote:

Kateryna Volobuieva wrote:
The languages they want to translate from are Japanese, Korean, Chinese (both Simplified and Traditional variants) and Vietnamese.

For Japanese I use character count. Copy the text into Word, then click on the word count indicator at the left of the bottom task/status bar. It should show "characters" and Asian characters. That will give you some idea, at least. Don't know about Korean, not sure about Chinese but assume characters as well.

Dan

Each "square block" is one character. For Chinese, the punctuation marks are also counted.

Dan Lucas

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to quote translation from Asian languages to English?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »