TWS Xliff editor shortcuts without number keypad
Thread poster: Mary McKee
Mary McKee
Mary McKee  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:10
Spanish to English
Jul 6, 2015

I am using Translation Workspace Xliff Editor, and am on a laptop that has no number keypad. I have only the numbers (and symbols) on the usual line of numbers below the F1-F12.

To use the function "store, close, open next segment" you usually use the shortcut "Alt"plus"+" on the number keypad. Does anyone know how to do this without access to a number keypad?

There is not even a button for "store, close, open next segment" in the toolbar; even THAT would be better t
... See more
I am using Translation Workspace Xliff Editor, and am on a laptop that has no number keypad. I have only the numbers (and symbols) on the usual line of numbers below the F1-F12.

To use the function "store, close, open next segment" you usually use the shortcut "Alt"plus"+" on the number keypad. Does anyone know how to do this without access to a number keypad?

There is not even a button for "store, close, open next segment" in the toolbar; even THAT would be better than what I've got now. As far as I can tell, the only way to access "store, close, open next segment" is through the "Translation" drop down menu! This is going to be the slowest job ever unless I can find a way to do it on a laptop keyboard.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:10
Finnish to French
Not possible Jul 6, 2015

mdomseattle wrote:

I recently made a video on the TWS XLIFF editor (which I recorded on a laptop that has no numeric keypad) and I noticed the exact same thing:

https://youtu.be/bY7LFj9K7zQ?t=1m40s

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:10
English to French
Spare full-sized keyboard? Jul 7, 2015

mdomseattle wrote:
...This is going to be the slowest job ever unless I can find a way to do it on a laptop keyboard.

What if you bought/used a real keyboard and connect it to your laptop?
If you waste so much time, such investment would be sensible.

Philippe

forever_youn (X)
forever_youn (X)
United States
Korean to English
What... Oct 22, 2015

A power outage overnight left my internet disconnected for some reason.

I was forced to come to my local library with my laptop, only to find out that there are no laptop hotkeys.

I guess that's that... Packing up and going home.

Mary McKee
Mary McKee  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
SOLUTION FOUND! Oct 24, 2015

I've discovered that mapping a new function to a key can solve this problem! Using the freeware product called "Sharp Key" I assigned the function of "keypad plus sign" to the "windows"key on my keyboard, since I have no use for that anyway.

Now I can use the alt plus windows key to complete these tasks without issue, and the key remapping is simple, reversible, and easy to do. They include instructions with the freeware for Sharp Key and I did it in under 2 minutes.

Ho
... See more
I've discovered that mapping a new function to a key can solve this problem! Using the freeware product called "Sharp Key" I assigned the function of "keypad plus sign" to the "windows"key on my keyboard, since I have no use for that anyway.

Now I can use the alt plus windows key to complete these tasks without issue, and the key remapping is simple, reversible, and easy to do. They include instructions with the freeware for Sharp Key and I did it in under 2 minutes.

Hope this helps everyone in the future!

@Philippe Etienne, I do have an external keyboard (foldable, by Goldtouch), but it also does not have a number keypad. I am a mobile, nomad translator, so I cannot bring along a huge, non-foldable keyboard with keypad. Thus the need for this work-around.
Collapse

Laura Cariola
Laura Cariola
Argentina
Local time: 14:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Change hotkeys in XLIFF Editor May 23, 2017

Hi all,

This response may come a bit too late, but XLIFF Editor offers the possibility to change the hotkeys in the client.
I had the same issue and found the way to change it when preparing a short webinar on this CAT.
Just go to Tools - Preferences - Accelerator settings... and you'll find all the hotkeys in the application.
Store, Close and Open next is under the category "Segment actions", in the bottom half of the list.

Hope this helps!

Peter Gennet
Eñaut Garmendia
Juliana Aguirre Bengoa

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Thanks but it doesn't let me change the accelerator keys Aug 2, 2019

Laura Cariola wrote:

Hi all,

This response may come a bit too late, but XLIFF Editor offers the possibility to change the hotkeys in the client.
I had the same issue and found the way to change it when preparing a short webinar on this CAT.
Just go to Tools - Preferences - Accelerator settings... and you'll find all the hotkeys in the application.
Store, Close and Open next is under the category "Segment actions", in the bottom half of the list.

Hope this helps!

When I click the 'Accelerator' space next to the 'Action', the text changes to 'New Accelerator' and I try to add a new key sequence but nothing happens.

I'm using TWS via Parallels on a Mac.

Stephanie Busch
Stephanie Busch  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Accelerator key changes possible on a Mac Aug 2, 2019

Dylan Jan Hartmann wrote:

Thanks but it doesn't let me change the accelerator keys

When I click the 'Accelerator' space next to the 'Action', the text changes to 'New Accelerator' and I try to add a new key sequence but nothing happens.

I'm using TWS via Parallels on a Mac.

I too am using Parallels on a Mac, and for me it works.

I changed the Copy Source shortcut whose default is Alt Insert.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-08-02 um 15.18.23

Maybe you tried a key sequence that is already in use, or one that doesn't work. E.g the program doesn't seem to accept German umlauts, whereas SDL Trados Studio does.

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Can anyone help with the right keyboard shortcut for this? May 3, 2021

I have spent far too long trying and failing to tell which is the right command to insert the 100% TM match into this segment, and am fed up with having to stop, select, copy, then paste for hundreds of these.

The client copies all sources before sending me the files (for Australian English adaptation), so that may be why it doesn't' insert the 100% match.

What is the shortcut called that would insert the TM match shown below.

Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 9.58.57 pm

Or do you have any better advice?

Thanks!
Dylan

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:10
English to Russian
Auto Translate May 4, 2021

Did you try the Auto Translate feature? It works as Pre-translate in memoQ or Trados, i.e. it automatically inserts 100% and fuzzy matches.

If it doesn't help after running, then also try to check the 'Retranslate' option. I am not sure but probably it is needed to overwrite th
... See more
Did you try the Auto Translate feature? It works as Pre-translate in memoQ or Trados, i.e. it automatically inserts 100% and fuzzy matches.

If it doesn't help after running, then also try to check the 'Retranslate' option. I am not sure but probably it is needed to overwrite the segments that are already populated with source.

[Edited at 2021-05-04 09:18 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Dylan May 4, 2021

Dylan Jan Hartmann wrote:
What is the shortcut called that would insert the TM match shown below?

I don't know, and I don't have files to test it on right now, but based on this menu's items I'd imagine possibly Alt+PgUp:

tws menu

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TWS Xliff editor shortcuts without number keypad

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »