Thread poster: mikhailo
mikhailo
mikhailo
Local time: 23:26
English to Russian
+ ...
Jan 20, 2018

I had a project 1,5 Gb.
I added some new files to it. On the last file added I had an unresettable (?????) error due to filesize limit 2gb for 32-bit apps.
Project file became 2 GB exactly and start freezing at work.

When I tried to compact or repair this 2 GB project I always had error.
Deleting files from project didn't solve the problem - file size haven't been changed.

Overall size of sdlxliffs and tmx in this project is less than 300 MB. (why is t
... See more
I had a project 1,5 Gb.
I added some new files to it. On the last file added I had an unresettable (?????) error due to filesize limit 2gb for 32-bit apps.

Deleting files from project didn't solve the problem - file size haven't been changed.

Overall size of sdlxliffs and tmx in this project is less than 300 MB. (why is the project so fat in relation to pure translation stuff - xliff/tmx - I see no signs of optimization - for such stuff, as I see, the size ratio project/original files is usually about 10 and more).

It's abnormal, if program gives no warnings about such situations and can not repair such files.

[Редактировалось 2018-01-20 20:55 GMT]
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Do you recycle project? Jan 21, 2018

Hi Mikhailo,

Do you recycle projects, e.g. create a single project and use it for, say legal projects or technical projects, remove and add new files frequently? Or create a new DVX project for each new project?

If you recycle the same project (some people do it but Atril does not recommend it) then you should repair the project each time, which will reduce the project size.

I have checked my archive and my biggest project is 281 MB (and yes, it includes s
... See more
Hi Mikhailo,

Do you recycle projects, e.g. create a single project and use it for, say legal projects or technical projects, remove and add new files frequently? Or create a new DVX project for each new project?

If you recycle the same project (some people do it but Atril does not recommend it) then you should repair the project each time, which will reduce the project size.

I have checked my archive and my biggest project is 281 MB (and yes, it includes several sdlxliff files).

But in a DVX project with several large sdlxliff files, DVX project size can grow as well. Solution? Maybe you can export bilingual review files from Studio and import these files into DVX. Another solution maybe exporting large files into EV xliff format in DVX, creating a new DVX project and importing/translating these EV xliff files in DVX. Upon completion you can import the EV file into original project and update the segments.

As for your current project, try copying the dvprj file (not the ldb file) into another folder, and then repair it. Hope it works.
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
Why so large? Jan 22, 2018

mikhailo wrote:

I had a project 1,5 Gb.

Overall size of sdlxliffs and tmx in this project is less than 300 MB. (why is the project so fat in relation to pure translation stuff - xliff/tmx - I see no signs of optimization - for such stuff, as I see, the size ratio project/original files is usually about 10 and more).

It's abnormal, if program gives no warnings about such situations and can not repair such files.

[Редактировалось 2018-01-20 20:55 GMT]

I'm curious but what kind of files are included in the 1.5 GB project? I've been working with DVX for 17 years and handled some large projects, but never that big.

mikhailo
mikhailo
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
re Jan 25, 2018

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Hi Mikhailo,

I have checked my archive and my biggest project is 281 MB (and yes, it includes several sdlxliff files).

But in a DVX project with several large sdlxliff files, DVX project size can grow as well. Solution? Maybe you can export bilingual review files from Studio and import these files into DVX. Another solution maybe exporting large files into EV xliff format in DVX, creating a new DVX project and importing/translating these EV xliff files in DVX. Upon completion you can import the EV file into original project and update the segments.

As for your current project, try copying the dvprj file (not the ldb file) into another folder, and then repair it. Hope it works.

Thanks.

I have 5+ >2GB projects and 2(3) of them where >2gb initially. (one - 1,7 GB TS2015 Package)
Another I have pumped by recycling.

I have worked with 900MB word file, that was not imported into DV (suppose because of this problem)
So «big data» it is mine.

Thank for advice. I'll try.

But atril should think about this problem in new version (if it isn't moving to 64 bit) - adding checkbox to compact big projects, warning etc.

[Редактировалось 2018-01-25 18:48 GMT]

mikhailo
mikhailo
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution for 2gb project files that can't be compacted/repaired in DVX3 Jan 27, 2018

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

It doesn't work.

Solution (MSOffice pro with Access needed)
0. Make backup!!!
1. Rename dvprj to *.db
2. Open it in Access
3. Make fake change in any table (0->1->0)
4. Save (my file lost 700MB!!!)
5. Rename back to *.dvprj
6. PROFIT

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

another bugs of dvx3

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »