Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >
Reflections on 2017, my first $US 100,000+ year from translation
Thread poster: Dylan J Hartmann
QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
Congratulations Jan 22, 2018

You are now amongst the top 2% (>$100K). Hard work and even harder to look at PAYG $$$ going to ATO every quarter. But one does smile for second looking at those zeros.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:47
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Congratulations... Jan 22, 2018

to your wife for sticking around...

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:47
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Still I'm wondering Jan 22, 2018

If you really worked so hard you should have got more. I only had 27 thousand Euro last year, but worked on average perhaps 2 hours daily (Mo-Fr), with about 8 weeks travelling or just doing nothing (except practicing my sax). It seems your rates need improvement, or your software.
But congratulations for lasting out!

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
You're right Jan 22, 2018

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

If you really worked so hard you should have got more.

You're right, not always working but that was a general impression of my workload.

A better, more focused work effort should lead to more improvements.

Rates/software are good!

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Mutual respect is expected in all interactions on ProZ.com. Please follow general site rule #2, https://www.proz.com/siterules/general/2#2 , in all your posts on ProZ.com.
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
So wife and kids came in second place? Jan 23, 2018

DJ,

If I read your posting correctly, you relegated your family life to second place in order to make your business a priority. Am I understanding this correctly?

As for your earnings, success, etc., good for you. I guess that, if I were in your place, I'd find it more meaningful to share my successes with loved ones and close friends who'd appreciate my sacrifices.

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
I did, then decided to change in 2018 (read last paragraph) Jan 23, 2018

Mario Chavez wrote:

If I read your posting correctly, you relegated your family life to second place in order to make your business a priority. Am I understanding this correctly?

Hi Mario,

I burned out, have decided to change in 2018.

As I said, “Come January 2018. What has changed? I no longer have the ‘save money for a house’ mantra driving me like a madman. I burned out, seriously burned out after New Years and one of my main resolutions was to say “No”. I am unavailable on weekends, as these are now set for family, wife and kids. I’ve prioritised health and fitness and am cycling most mornings once again (eg. prior to 2017). I’m back to enjoying cider and wine!!!! And now am glad to start work at 9am! I’m back to loving my job, loving my lifestyle, and my family is loving me! My income might’ve taken a 1/5 cut but it was that extra 20% that caused all the pain. My feeling is now that this level is sustainable, whereas the other max-effort nearly killed me.”

The moral of the story is to find balance.

Oksana Weiss
Oksana Weiss  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:47
Member (2011)
German to English
+ ...
Congrats! We need more stories like this... Jan 23, 2018

Thank you, DJHartmann, for sharing your experience with us. One needs courage not only to share one's success story, but also to admit one's mistakes in public. I wish you successful and prosperous 2018, without too much stress and without any burnout!

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan 23, 2018

Oksana Weiss wrote:

Thank you, DJHartmann, for sharing your experience with us. One needs courage not only to share one's success story, but also to admit one's mistakes in public. I wish you successful and prosperous 2018, without too much stress and without any burnout!

Thank you for your kind support.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Not possible in Germany ... Jan 23, 2018

... without having your neighbours call anonymously the custom office for suspected moonlighting or for living at other people's expense. To gain those figures by work (simply by work!) which is not associated with dominating other people (colleagues, staff etc.) cannot be true. And even if so, why then still using bicycles and not an SUV?

[Edited at 2018-01-23 11:02 GMT]

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Honest question Jan 23, 2018

Matthias Brombach wrote:
And even if so, why then still using bicycles and not an SUV?

How on earth do you use an SUV for cycling?

Anna Augustin

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Bicycles are for recreation Jan 23, 2018

Matthias Brombach wrote:

... without having your neighbours call anonymously the custom office for suspected moonlighting or for living at other people's expense. To gain those figures by work (simply by work!) which is not associated with dominating other people (colleagues, staff) cannot be true. And even if so, why then still using bicycles and not an SUV?

It is true my friend, I publish monthly word-counts on my profile. An SUV though? We drive a Mercedes-Benz. The bikes are for family outings and fun!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Kidding yourself Jan 23, 2018

Thomas Pfann wrote:
How on earth do you use an SUV for cycling?

You can kid yourself that you're "green" by loading some bikes on to an SUV, driving hundreds of miles to a natural place, and then riding the bikes around before driving home again.

Anna Augustin

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Mutual respect is expected in all interactions on ProZ.com. Please follow general site rule #2, https://www.proz.com/siterules/general/2#2 , in all your posts on ProZ.com.
Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Oh Lord, won't you buy me ... Jan 23, 2018

... etc.

Ha*, a German car!

*exclamation like "appreciated!"

[Edited at 2018-01-23 11:06 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reflections on 2017, my first $US 100,000+ year from translation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »