Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Where can I find volunteer translation work?
Thread poster: Thomas Tippit
Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:06
English to German
+ ...
Interested in subtitling/dubbing videos? Dec 19, 2012

Consider volunteering with the Khan Academy.

Khan Academy is a not-for-profit educational organization; its mission is to provide a free, world-class education to anyone, anywhere.
Online materials cover subjects ranging from math and finance to history and art. With thousands of bite-sized videos, step-by-step problems and instant data, Khan Academy provides a rich and engag
... See more
Consider volunteering with the Khan Academy.

Khan Academy is a not-for-profit educational organization; its mission is to provide a free, world-class education to anyone, anywhere.
Online materials cover subjects ranging from math and finance to history and art. With thousands of bite-sized videos, step-by-step problems and instant data, Khan Academy provides a rich and engaging learning experience.
http://www.khanacademy.org/contribute
Blog: http://international.khanacademy.org/
About: http://www.khanacademy.org/about
Collapse

AndreaBG
AndreaBG
Local time: 18:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
TED and Globalvoices Dec 19, 2012

I started subtitling TED Talks and translating articles for Globalvoices when I was still a student (you've been given the links for those two already).

It's nice to be able to choose from a range of topics. Assuming this is the sort of volunteer work you were after, I'm sure you'll find something interesting every few days.

Edited to correct typo.

[Edited at 2012-12-19 19:05 GMT]

Maksim Mirzabaev
Maksim Mirzabaev
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:06
English to Russian
+ ...
INSP Dec 21, 2012

Try contacting INSP (International Network of Street Papers). You may alternatively try reaching out to Translators Without Borders (you will have to do a test translation first).

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Maksym Mirzabaiev

Elena Jiménez A. (X)
Elena Jiménez A. (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:06
English to Spanish
Opportunity for English>Spanish Volunteer Translators Jun 13, 2013

Hi,

www.beyondviolence.org is currently looking for Spanish Volunteer Translators.

Have a look at their website, you'll find all the info there.

Good luck!

Consuelo de Souza Mendes
Consuelo de Souza Mendes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Portuguese
Volunteer translation Feb 14, 2015

Hello everybody,

What a wonderful idea to translate books for children!! I have been thinking about volunteer work for quite a while and to do that in translation or interpreting would be really fantastic!! I am based in London and would like to help the less fortunate. My language combination is English-Portuguese.

Please let me know if you need any help.

Look forward to hear from anybody soon.

Consuelo Mendes

[Edited at 2015-02-14
... See more
Hello everybody,

What a wonderful idea to translate books for children!! I have been thinking about volunteer work for quite a while and to do that in translation or interpreting would be really fantastic!! I am based in London and would like to help the less fortunate. My language combination is English-Portuguese.

Please let me know if you need any help.

Look forward to hear from anybody soon.

Consuelo Mendes

[Edited at 2015-02-14 17:33 GMT]
Collapse

zooenc
zooenc
Slovakia
Volunteer translations for various languages on Trommons.org Mar 21, 2016

If anybody is interested in volunteer translations, check up http://trommons.org

You can quickly register at http://trommons.org/register/ and than you can browse through translation task for for various non-profit translation projects.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Now Mar 22, 2016

There're so many opportunities to become proficient in a field and get a good name to hold!

Of course, there're also rather many drawbacks and abuses of helping as a volunteer--that's why I do it no more--yet I still couldn't find any CAT-oriented non-profit translation organization, which would share their (at least mediocre) TMs and glossaries for newbies to start, could you?

After appearing of some web-based *free* CATs, I was quite positive it's just a matter
... See more
There're so many opportunities to become proficient in a field and get a good name to hold!

Of course, there're also rather many drawbacks and abuses of helping as a volunteer--that's why I do it no more--yet I still couldn't find any CAT-oriented non-profit translation organization, which would share their (at least mediocre) TMs and glossaries for newbies to start, could you?

After appearing of some web-based *free* CATs, I was quite positive it's just a matter of time, but nope...
True non-commercial shared goals and means, right)
Collapse

Hannah Keet
Hannah Keet  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Watching America Mar 24, 2016

During my translation studies I volunteered for a website called Watching America (http://watchingamerica.com/WA/seeking-translators/). They aren't a charity but your work will be published online so it gives prospective clients an idea of what you can do.

Katherine Rutter
Katherine Rutter
United Kingdom
French to English
Watching america Mar 26, 2016

I've also started translating for Watching America. You do have to do a test, but they aren't expecting professional translation standard, as their editors review translated articles prior to publication.

AmyRose
AmyRose
Italy
Spanish to English
+ ...
Translators without Borders May 2, 2016

www.translatorswithoutborders.org

Translators without Borders (TWB) is a U. S. non-profit organization that aims to close the language gaps that hinder critical humanitarian efforts worldwide by connecting non profit humanitarian organizations to professional translators.

Marc Glinert
Marc Glinert  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Volunteer translations Oct 21, 2020

Hi to all. Just reactivating this thread in 2020 as I am starting to contemplate life after retirement (following a career as an in-house translator). Which organisations should I register with to find opportunities for valuable, purposeful work furthering the causes of peace, development and togetherness? Many thanks ...

Eunike Angela
Eunike Angela
Indonesia
Local time: 00:06
English to Indonesian
on their website ? Oct 25, 2020

Hannah Keet wrote:

During my translation studies I volunteered for a website called Watching America (http://watchingamerica.com/WA/seeking-translators/). They aren't a charity but your work will be published online so it gives prospective clients an idea of what you can do.

Hi Hannah, i would like to ask, will it be published only on their website ? or can it be possible if we ask them to publish our work on upwork.com as their positive feedbacks so we can get other new clients on upwork.com ?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where can I find volunteer translation work?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »