Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Proposed new KudoZ-X service - feedback requested
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 16, 2018

Hello everyone,

The ProZ.com team is in the early stages of working on a new service called KudoZ-X (KudoZ eXplain) and could use your feedback to help shape the direction of this proposed new service.

If you have 5 minutes, your feedback would be greatly appreciated by filling out the following survey:

KudoZ-X survey

---------

KudoZ-X (K
... See more
Hello everyone,

The ProZ.com team is in the early stages of working on a new service called KudoZ-X (KudoZ eXplain) and could use your feedback to help shape the direction of this proposed new service.

If you have 5 minutes, your feedback would be greatly appreciated by filling out the following survey:

KudoZ-X survey

---------

KudoZ-X (KudoZ eXplain) is a new service from ProZ.com where those in need of an explanation of a difficult term, segment or short passage can get on-demand help (in a 1-on-1 video or voice call) from a person knowledgeable in the subject matter of the material.

Have you ever had a case where you knew all of the words in a segment, and you knew or could find the translation of each term; however, you didn't have confidence in your translation? Although you knew the individual terms, you weren't sure on the meaning of the source segment? Or you needed to consult someone knowledgable in the subject matter for advice in order to determine if your translation was accurate?
Collapse

Christian [email protected]
Elena Masseva

Christian christian@nielsen-palacios.com
Christian [email protected]
United States
Local time: 12:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sounds like a good idea, but how will you ensure the person is truly an EXPERT? Jul 16, 2018

In KudoZ, many people SOUND like experts, but they are not...

Tom in London
Elena Masseva
Angie Garbarino
neilmac
sam@fr-uk
Chiara Sodi
writeaway

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:41
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
My attempt to answer your survey Jul 17, 2018

I tried to answer your survey but my submission was rejected, apparently because my link to my profile wasn't accepted. I don't know why. I gave the link to my Proz profile. Annoying.

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 17:41
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Irrelevant Jul 17, 2018

KudoZ has become useless - or worse, misleading. The purpose has become purely point-hunting via talking-into and aggressive tactics aimed at preventing other users from proposing alternatives.

Whoever gets the most Google hits "wins", regardless of reliability of sources or actual competence of the answerer.

An accessory purpose is exchanging gratuitous agrees and thank-yous-for-agreeing to boost each other's egos.

And then of course there is good old col
... See more
KudoZ has become useless - or worse, misleading. The purpose has become purely point-hunting via talking-into and aggressive tactics aimed at preventing other users from proposing alternatives.

Whoever gets the most Google hits "wins", regardless of reliability of sources or actual competence of the answerer.

An accessory purpose is exchanging gratuitous agrees and thank-yous-for-agreeing to boost each other's egos.

And then of course there is good old collusion.

At least this is what goes on in EN>IT, and to a lesser extent in FR>IT, ES>IT, IT>EN. We all know how attention/approval/reward-seeking is inherent (albeit not exclusive) to the Italian nature.

Finally, good luck defining what an "expert" is. Someone who has a ton of points? Get real.
Collapse

Tom in London
Cetacea
Valérie Ourset
writeaway
Goumiri Abdennour
Benoit Hupin (X)
P.L.F. Persio

DEVANATHAN RENGACHARI
DEVANATHAN RENGACHARI  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:11
English to Tamil
+ ...
KudoZ-X service Jul 17, 2018

The idea is good, but how do you find the expert? If this can be resolved, then the idea is good.

In passing, I want to mention about subtitle translation from English to Tamil for TED talks. Though there is a group co-ordinator for this activity, almost for a year there has been no response from the co-ordinator and the efforts of hundreds of translators doing a free translation of subtitles for the purpose of reaching the intended audience is lying in cold storage. TED talks is
... See more
The idea is good, but how do you find the expert? If this can be resolved, then the idea is good.

In passing, I want to mention about subtitle translation from English to Tamil for TED talks. Though there is a group co-ordinator for this activity, almost for a year there has been no response from the co-ordinator and the efforts of hundreds of translators doing a free translation of subtitles for the purpose of reaching the intended audience is lying in cold storage. TED talks is not able to rectify this situation. Here(in Proz.com) also, we should not land up in such a situation where the so called expert,does not communicate at all.

Regards,
Devanathan.
Collapse

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Might be wrong, but.... Jul 17, 2018

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

Hello everyone,

KudoZ-X (KudoZ eXplain) is a new service from ProZ.com where those in need of an explanation of a difficult term, segment or short passage can get on-demand help from a person knowledgeable in the subject matter of the material.

Actually, I believe this "new service" already exists.

It's called KudoZ or something....

Tom in London
Katalin Szilárd
Christopher Schröder
Cetacea
Yolanda Broad
ahartje
Goumiri Abdennour

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
They're talking about one-on-one multimedia sessions Jul 17, 2018

Andy Watkinson wrote:

They're talking about one-on-one multimedia sessions, like voice calls or video calls.

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
OK Jul 17, 2018

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:

They're talking about one-on-one multimedia sessions, like voice calls or video calls.

I don't waste my time clicking on every link I see (which is where I imagine this information you provide is contained - it's not in the OP).

If someone's presenting a "New Service", the logical method would be to describe in full what the service consists of. What form it takes. Who's eligible to provide it. Any technical issues involved.

Not just chuck it out there.

Have you ever had a case where you knew all of the words in a segment, and you knew or could find the translation of each term; however, you didn't have confidence in your translation?

Cringeworthy.

Sounds like a US meds advert.

"Ask your doctor if KudoZ-X is right for you.

(KudoZ-X may cause dizziness, nausea, liver failure, frequent bowel movements, seizures, fainting, wheezing and potentially fatal advice from someone without a clue but who does have a 2Gbps connection"
.)

Rather more upfront information would be much appreciated.

[Edited at 2018-07-17 04:56 GMT]

Tom in London
Christopher Schröder
Elena Masseva
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
ahartje
Josephine Cassar
Angus Stewart

ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
KudoZ-X Jul 17, 2018

Andy Watkinson wrote:

The target of KudoZ-X would be questions that are not necessarily a good fit for traditional KudoZ.

KudoZ-X would be a 1-on-1 voice or video call. The reason being that talking is usually the most efficient way to get across non-trivial concepts.

Some potential KudoZ-X questions might be:

- In the legal field, there may be cases where one knows or can easily look up each term in a sentence. However, without an adequate background in the relevant case law, it may be difficult to parse the meaning of the entire segment. Through KudoZ-X this translator could get an explanation and background behind the meaning of the sentence they are struggling with.

- The source text says "Press the red button". For this particular machine it is important that one distinguish in the target language whether it is a quick press, or a press and hold, etc. In this case one could use KudoZ-X to consult with a translator who has done translations of user manuals for these machines before.

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
Not that I disagree with you... Jul 17, 2018

Andy Watkinson wrote:
I don't waste my time clicking on every link I see (which is where I imagine this information you provide is contained - it's not in the OP)

A strange way of saying "thank you," but you're welcome, friend.

I clicked through to the survey but did not complete it. Not my cup of tea.

[Edited at 2018-07-17 05:36 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Stuck at the third question Jul 17, 2018

When I got to the question "For the proposed "KudoZ-X" service, would you prefer a video or voice-only call?" I stopped. I don't want ANY calls when I'm in the middle of a translation job. So I can't complete the questionnaire.

I don't think this is a good idea at all and I agree with the other criticisms that it would be impossible to certify that the person on the other end of the line is an expert anyway.

The only thing that's wrong with Kudoz is the stupid name.
... See more
When I got to the question "For the proposed "KudoZ-X" service, would you prefer a video or voice-only call?" I stopped. I don't want ANY calls when I'm in the middle of a translation job. So I can't complete the questionnaire.

I don't think this is a good idea at all and I agree with the other criticisms that it would be impossible to certify that the person on the other end of the line is an expert anyway.

The only thing that's wrong with Kudoz is the stupid name.

When using it, I think most intelligent users are capable of distinguishing a credible suggestion from a wild shot in the dark.

[Edited at 2018-07-17 10:39 GMT]
Collapse

Cetacea
Christopher Schröder
MoSpa
P.L.F. Persio
ipv

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sshhhh... Jul 17, 2018

Christian Nielsen-Palacios wrote:

In KudoZ, many people SOUND like experts, but they are not...

Keep it under your hat! You're revealing one of the best-kept secrets in life - i.e. if you state something confidently enough, many people will accept it as gospel...(bigly).

writeaway
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Angus Stewart

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No link required? Jul 17, 2018

Jennifer Forbes wrote:

I tried to answer your survey but my submission was rejected, apparently because my link to my profile wasn't accepted. I don't know why. I gave the link to my Proz profile. Annoying.

I've just filled it in and used my proz handle/username (neilmac) to submit it... and it seems to have uploaded OK.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Kudoz-X Jul 17, 2018

I just can’t see how this would work.

1. I can’t give my opinion without knowing in full what this is about.
2. I don’t want to be interrupted with video or voice calls.
3. I translate exclusively into European Portuguese and the number of active Portuguese Proz members is very small. Who would be the experts?
4. If I were to answer a question on KudoZ-X how could I receive Browniz points in return if they have been of no use until now? Is this the new use
... See more
I just can’t see how this would work.

1. I can’t give my opinion without knowing in full what this is about.
2. I don’t want to be interrupted with video or voice calls.
3. I translate exclusively into European Portuguese and the number of active Portuguese Proz members is very small. Who would be the experts?
4. If I were to answer a question on KudoZ-X how could I receive Browniz points in return if they have been of no use until now? Is this the new use that was spoken about two years ago? I have 108,808 points and I’d like to use them…
5. When I need to consult someone knowledgeable in the subject matter for advice in order to determine if my translation is accurate Proz is not my port of call.
6. There are two Proz members with whom I’m in regular contact and when in need I have emailed them with my questions and they have been quite helpful. Of course, I’ve been quite happy to return the favor.
7. Over the years I’ve also received a good number of emails from Prozians asking for help to which I’ve gladly answered to the best of my knowledge.
Collapse

Tom in London
writeaway
Christopher Schröder
ahartje
P.L.F. Persio
Josephine Cassar
Angus Stewart

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
For free? Jul 17, 2018

Engaging in a video call to help a clueless competitor to deliver a better job and stealing your clients with a much lower rate? Don't see it happening...

P.L.F. Persio
Tom in London
Robert Forstag
Michele Fauble
Angus Stewart
Cetacea
Christiane Allen

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proposed new KudoZ-X service - feedback requested

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »