Thread poster: Tom in London
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:22
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Mar 22, 2018

Just checking a translation on screen isn't good enough for me. I nearly always print my translations before delivering them, so that I can carry out a final check and correct any mistakes or imperfections. It's quite common for me to print a document three, four, or even five times before I'm satisfied.

My current printer is an Epson XP/530 all-in-one inkjet, but I've been having problems with replacement cartridges. In an effort to save money I've been using non-original cartridg
... See more
Just checking a translation on screen isn't good enough for me. I nearly always print my translations before delivering them, so that I can carry out a final check and correct any mistakes or imperfections. It's quite common for me to print a document three, four, or even five times before I'm satisfied.

My current printer is an Epson XP/530 all-in-one inkjet, but I've been having problems with replacement cartridges. In an effort to save money I've been using non-original cartridges but these are often rejected by the printer and I have to throw them away without using them.

Original Epson cartridges cost so much that were I to use them, printing would become a rare activity for luxury occasions only. On the other hand, I'm probably already spending just as much on cheap replacement cartridges as I would be on Epson originals.

I have considered other makes of printer, but they all seem just as likely to reject non-original cartridges.

Can anyone suggest an inexpensive all-in-one printer that readily takes replacement non-original cartridges without rejecting them? Would it make more sense for me to spend more money and buy a laser printer and a separate scanner? Or would anyone recommend refilling old cartridges?

[Edited at 2018-03-22 15:28 GMT]
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:22
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
You'd probably be better off with a laser printer Mar 22, 2018

Unless you need to print high quality pictures or even in colour, and as long as there's enough space to host two devices instead of one, I'm struggling to come up with a reason for using an inkjet as opposed to a laser printer.

Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
all-in-one laser Mar 22, 2018

You can get all-in-one laser printers these days, no need to waste space and money on a separate scanner. Laser printers are more expensive in terms of acquisition costs but cheaper per page so if you're printing loads it is worth the investment.

But I'm cringing the whole time I'm reading your post and even my answer because... think of the environment. Do you really absolutely need to print things 3, 4, 5 times? What about printing once and then using different coloured ink to dis
... See more
You can get all-in-one laser printers these days, no need to waste space and money on a separate scanner. Laser printers are more expensive in terms of acquisition costs but cheaper per page so if you're printing loads it is worth the investment.

But I'm cringing the whole time I'm reading your post and even my answer because... think of the environment. Do you really absolutely need to print things 3, 4, 5 times? What about printing once and then using different coloured ink to distinguish between revision versions?
Collapse

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 19:22
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
To refill or not? Mar 22, 2018

I have been using an HP officejet all-in-one for years now. It has 4 functions so fits my needs well. However, I have exactly the same isssue with ink cartridges. Original HP cartridges are very expensive (shall I say prohibitively expensive?). You cannot buy them all the time. So, I used to get them refilled at a small fraction of the cost of new cartridges. The problem is, however, after you refill them a couple of times or so, the machine no longer accepts them. It appears like you can... See more
I have been using an HP officejet all-in-one for years now. It has 4 functions so fits my needs well. However, I have exactly the same isssue with ink cartridges. Original HP cartridges are very expensive (shall I say prohibitively expensive?). You cannot buy them all the time. So, I used to get them refilled at a small fraction of the cost of new cartridges. The problem is, however, after you refill them a couple of times or so, the machine no longer accepts them. It appears like you can only refill them once ot twice (max) and that is it. The refilling shop does not accept responsibility if the cartridge does not work, that responsibility is all yours. I know Amazon has "remanufactured" ink cartridges but I have not tried them yet. They are not expensive. A 2-pack (b&w + color) costs about $20 or so. I am undecided about buying them. In my opinion, if you go ahead and buy a new printer, I do not think you will get rid of the problem completely.Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Wise words Mar 22, 2018

Wise words from all three - many thanks and indeed, I too care about the environment so I should try just playing with fonts and colours to "refresh" my re-reading of the translation. In fact since I'm currently unable to print, that's what I'm doing now with a job I need to deliver by tomorrow.

Maybe I'll look into all-in-one laser printers. Any particular recommendations? I'm asking myself how badly I might need to print in colour.....

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Laser Mar 22, 2018

I agree with others' suggestions to get a laser printer. They are more suitable for that sort of print quantity, and there are several multi-function laser printers.

I thought Apple's Retina screens were as good as paper, but maybe yours isn't Retina. I too wondered about the quantity of waste paper you produce and resources you consume.

So-called compatible cartridges being rejected seems to be a common problem. Of course in the EU you can demand your money back under
... See more
I agree with others' suggestions to get a laser printer. They are more suitable for that sort of print quantity, and there are several multi-function laser printers.

I thought Apple's Retina screens were as good as paper, but maybe yours isn't Retina. I too wondered about the quantity of waste paper you produce and resources you consume.

So-called compatible cartridges being rejected seems to be a common problem. Of course in the EU you can demand your money back under consumer law, as rejected 'compatible' cartridges aren't suitable for their stated purpose. That's why it's sometimes better as a freelancer not to buy supplies as a professional customer.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Waste Mar 22, 2018

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

.....I too wondered about the quantity of waste paper you produce and resources you consume.

I do print on both sides of the paper but still, you're right. And then there's the terrible waste of plastic cartridges that can't be easily recycled.....

WOW! I see there are now colour laser printers. Has anyone tried them?

[Edited at 2018-03-22 17:04 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
The math Mar 22, 2018

Laser printer £100
Genuine toner £50 every couple of months
Revenue of full time translator £500-1000 a week

I think you could afford it.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Colour and waste Mar 22, 2018

Tom in London wrote:

I do print on both sides of the paper but still, you're right. And then there's the terrible waste of plastic cartridges that can't be easily recycled.....

WOW! I see there are now colour laser printers. Has anyone tried them?

[Edited at 2018-03-22 17:04 GMT]

Yes, colour laser printers have been on the market for many years. I haven't tried one, though. Only traditional laser printers.

Used laser cartridges are usually returned to the manufacturer for reuse in the original packaging with a prepaid return card, so perhaps you don't need to worry so much about that, although they will eventually end up as waste. At least you can check before buying if the brand supports such recycling.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Looking at this one Mar 22, 2018

Chris S wrote:

Laser printer £100
Genuine toner £50 every couple of months
Revenue of full time translator £500-1000 a week

I think you could afford it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexmark-CS317dn-A4-Colour-Laser-Printer/162586403335?epid=25011369655&hash=item25dae7a207:g:s0UAAOSwuq9ZY~Ic

In theory I can afford it if I don't buy anything else

But of course it's tax-deductible.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Brother Mar 22, 2018

Several years ago I bought a Brother MFC J5910DW (inkjet with print, scan, copy, fax). It has served me well and I never had issues with compatible cartridges, which are way cheaper than the originals.

There are newer versions out there now, but I'm not sure whether the situation with cartridges is the same.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Laser or check out various ways to make the compatibles compatible Mar 22, 2018

Sometimes, if you take a cotton tip, that you humidify just a teensy-weensy bit with a teensy weensy droplet of water, then pass it lightly over the chip on the compatible cartridge, you may find your cartridge is accepted. It might be worth trying before you chuck the next one out.

Otherwise laser printers really are a good option if you print a lot. Tend to last for years too.

One final option might be to print at a local print/copy shop. They generally work out so
... See more
Sometimes, if you take a cotton tip, that you humidify just a teensy-weensy bit with a teensy weensy droplet of water, then pass it lightly over the chip on the compatible cartridge, you may find your cartridge is accepted. It might be worth trying before you chuck the next one out.

Otherwise laser printers really are a good option if you print a lot. Tend to last for years too.

One final option might be to print at a local print/copy shop. They generally work out so much cheaper than printing oneself. That may not be a practical option though. Depends where you live.
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Look at IJT Mar 22, 2018

See https://www.ijtdirect.co.uk/ for offers of free good quality printers if you spend a certain amount on ink cartridges for them.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
HP Color Laser Printer Mar 22, 2018

I bought 2 years ago a HP Color Laser Jet Pro MFP M176n and I’m quite happy with it. I paid around 200 EUR for it. Each genuine cartridge costs 45 EUR and prints circa 1,300 pages. I use it mostly as a B&W printer.

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Cost per page Mar 22, 2018

http://www.printware.co.uk/ lists the page cost for each printer it sells (assuming original supplies). Generic supplies are obviously cheaper, though.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The cost of printer cartridges

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »