Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:33
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I don't know, but ... Feb 12, 2021

Mervyn Henderson wrote:
on the German thread

... I feel a bit like coming home here after the disputes there yesterday and yesterday before. And all these guys with sunglasses ...

Mervyn Henderson (X)

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
I hear you, Matthias ... Feb 12, 2021

Matthias Brombach wrote:

... I feel a bit like coming home here after the disputes there yesterday and yesterday before. And all these guys with sunglasses ...

... and I'm not even a Landsfrau of yours.

Matthias Brombach
Christopher Schröder
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
This just in: Feb 12, 2021

We’re getting reports of a man who walked into Bilbao's Basurto Hospital this morning, claiming to be suffering from a case of “danlucasing”. He admitted it was quite mild, but added: “I never even saw it coming. And so gratuitous, too. I’ve done some mervynhendersoning in my time, I can tell you, but only when people fully deserved it. And, if I dish it out, I can take it too, oh yes. Not many people have been tominlondoned as many times as I have, and lived to tell the tale. You’re... See more
We’re getting reports of a man who walked into Bilbao's Basurto Hospital this morning, claiming to be suffering from a case of “danlucasing”. He admitted it was quite mild, but added: “I never even saw it coming. And so gratuitous, too. I’ve done some mervynhendersoning in my time, I can tell you, but only when people fully deserved it. And, if I dish it out, I can take it too, oh yes. Not many people have been tominlondoned as many times as I have, and lived to tell the tale. You’re talking to someone who’s reached Level 7, pal. Right off the scale. The experts said they’d never seen the like of it. Admittedly it was a joint effort with another bloke, but we were both shaken.”

“I’ve been chrissessed on occasion, of course, too, and even plfpersioed,” he went on, “but I know that was all in jest, and only recently I was indirectly gudrunwolfrathed, but I think even that might have been a linguistic misunderstanding. And I was also gerardbarryed rather unnecessarily recently by a Landsmann.”

When nurses asked him if he was in any pain, he replied “No, if there’s any hurt at all, it’s probably to be found in my pride, my vanity and my sense of identity, but I just don’t understand why it happened to me, that’s all.”

“When he was asked for his name,” a nurse reported afterwards, “he stared at us and a shadow crossed his face, and then spelt out first six letters and then nine letters very, very slowly, and insisted on looking over my colleague’s shoulder as she wrote them down. At that point four or five doctors approached, and suddenly he made a run for it, shouting “You won’t get me in the nut house, suckers! The men in white coats will never take me alive!” The nurse explained that just about every doctor in the hospital wears a white coat, and that she would have told him this if he hadn’t fled.

“Anyway,” she went on, “we had no idea what he was bloody talking about with his danlucasing and his tominlondoning and whatever all that was.” She rolled her eyes. “Johnny Foreigner. They come over here and they take up all the beds, equipment, padded cells, you name it. As if we don’t have enough to do around here. Central government, Basque Government – I don’t know if I’m being pedrosanchezed or inigourkullued, but when it hurts, I know I’m being shafted by someone.”

[Edited at 2021-02-12 12:22 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-02-12 12:22 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-02-12 12:24 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Matthias Brombach
Andy Watkinson

matt robinson
matt robinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Everything has an end... Feb 12, 2021

But a sausage has two.

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Matthias Brombach
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau
Hauke Christian

Felipe Lacerda
Felipe Lacerda  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:33
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Ladies and gentlemen Feb 12, 2021

How are you going to spend this month's 100k?

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Matthias Brombach
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Income or expenses? Feb 12, 2021

Felipe Lacerda wrote:

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Felipe Lacerda
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Cothi Valley goats Feb 12, 2021

Dan Lucas wrote:
There's a bloke lives up your way, in the Cothi valley, Richard.
He used to do very good goats-milk cheese.

I would give it a go as they even do halloumi, but I see they’re right next to Teepee Valley, and although my mate Swampy is busy down a hole in London at the moment, the crusty rabble up on the road are by all accounts more than likely to jump out and stab me with rusty needles as I ride past, so I’ve always been too scared to chance it.

Mervyn Henderson (X)

Felipe Lacerda
Brazil
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Huh? Feb 12, 2021

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Felipe Lacerda wrote:

Is there any difference if you're into tax evasion?

Mervyn Henderson (X)

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Ah, okay ... Feb 12, 2021

Felipe Lacerda wrote:

... you were talking about 100k in BRL? But still asking in expenses?

Felipe Lacerda
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Felipe Lacerda
Brazil
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Duh Feb 12, 2021

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Felipe Lacerda wrote:

... you were talking about 100k in BRL? But still asking in expenses?

I totally misread as before or after taxes.

Income, for sure!

Mervyn Henderson (X)

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Wait ... Feb 12, 2021

Felipe Lacerda wrote:

Income, for sure!

... I'll first check what others will write (and earn) here, then I will come out with my figures ... Any side earnings needed too (as from the German Verfassungsschutz)?

[Bearbeitet am 2021-02-12 16:36 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
I finally did it. I broke $1000 an hour! Feb 12, 2021

And I'm going to let you in on my secret: Charge a really high price.

But how do I get away with it?

Well, in a fit of generosity, I have decided to step off my luxury yacht and share all for a limited period.

Early-bird offer of just $1000 for a one hour Zoom call. Places limited to 1000.

(There you go, Matthias. I think the maths is rechts.)

P.L.F. Persio
Matthias Brombach
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Baran Keki

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Quite rechts, yes... Feb 12, 2021

Chris S wrote:

(There you go, Matthias. I think the maths is rechts.)

... but when calculating "rechts", you would get with any equation (let's assume a predicted result of 1,000 under acknowledged scientifical circumstances and i.e. in years) a totally different result, in our example 12 (1945 minus 1933 = ___)*
Apart from that your formula above is right (Richtig! Yeah!).
My business idea: I would offer my services with a 0190 phone number (€ 2.75 / min). My topic would be "Working at home and get rich!" and my only answer for callers would be "Not by translation!"
* pocket calculators not allowed; only ENIGMA

[Bearbeitet am 2021-02-12 17:40 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
You just couldn't let it go, could you? Feb 12, 2021

Rechts! Yes, yes, yes, I know: richtig, richtig, richtig. I've taken a hundred lines: Ich muss nicht "rechts" schreiben, weil man "richtig" sagt.

And it's been changed now, thanks to Matthias.

[Edited at 2021-02-12 20:26 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Matthias Brombach
Hauke Christian

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Toooom! Feb 12, 2021

Come back, please, do you hear me? Chris and Mervyn are so bored without you, they now dig out their German and have been seen in the German threads already! What's next? Mixing up the Arabian threads? The Russian, or, St. Patrick may help us, the Irish threads???

[Bearbeitet am 2021-02-12 20:44 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Hauke Christian

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »