Thread poster: Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Francesca Pesce
Francesca Pesce  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:35
English to Italian
+ ...
Some answers Sep 16, 2008

Felipe Gútiez wrote:

By the way, Francesca, how do you deal with taxes and the like? Does the cooperative pay the taxes for invoicing translations or each one pay the taxes for invoicing translations? How about insurance? What insurance company is accepted worldwide?

From an accounting point of view, the cooperative works exactly like any other company: it invoices to clients and then pays the translators (members or not) for the work they did. The cooperative pays taxes on its revenues and the translators pay their own taxes for their invoices and revenue.
It is also important to know that cooperative members do not have an exclusive relationship with the coop. They can obviously work and invoice to whoever they want, as long as they don't enter into a conflict of interest with the coop or into unfair competition practices.

About insurance: from what I know, no insurance company is legally recognised worldwide. At least in Italy (but I am quite sure it works the same way practically worldwide) an insurance has to be recognised locally: it has to have a local branch, at least a certain amount of paid-up capital and reserves. This is the only way in which clients and third parties can be protected.

Stanley Malinowitz
Stanley Malinowitz
United States
Local time: 05:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
This may be interesting (12 years later) Jun 28, 2020

I just saw this thread from 2008. I love the idea of a translators' cooperative. All the concerns people mention on the thread are real, but they can be overcome. It would have to build on the experiences of cooperatives in other fields. Some don't last long, but others do. It would require research to see what the successful ones did, what needs to be done, how it should be organized, etc. The hardest part would be getting started - getting members and convincing people it's not a scam, avoidin... See more
I just saw this thread from 2008. I love the idea of a translators' cooperative. All the concerns people mention on the thread are real, but they can be overcome. It would have to build on the experiences of cooperatives in other fields. Some don't last long, but others do. It would require research to see what the successful ones did, what needs to be done, how it should be organized, etc. The hardest part would be getting started - getting members and convincing people it's not a scam, avoiding scams, getting a website and payment method going, starting to get customers, etc. Here's a link to an article about a cycle couriers' cooperative formed as an alternative to the corporate gig economy: https://popularresistance.org/reclaiming-work-can-cooperatives-overthrow-the-gig-economy/Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A virtual cooperative?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »