Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
You can now add your professional objectives at ProZ.com
Thread poster: Jared Tabor
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: A reply to another post that was removed by the poster
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post
Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 00:22
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Rewording + display order May 17, 2019

First I added my objectives, but then I deleted. Important information were missing:

Is is possible to change it to?
to meet clients (you can add here translation agencies or end clients), who meet my terms, who pay and respect their translators, who pay on time (within 30 days), who pay above standard rates.

+ 1 suggestion
Can you add an option to change the order of the objectives?
So we could put the most important objective at the top of the list.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:22
German to English
+ ...
professional objectives May 17, 2019

My professional objectives are to provide quality translations to clients, if I were asked. I'm not sure how I would put that into this form.

Elizabeth Tamblin

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 20:22
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the feedback May 17, 2019

Hi all,

First, thanks to everyone who has been completing their objectives so far!

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:

I think "seasoned professional" is possibly what you are looking for, instead of "veteran".

No, I was actually looking for "veteran". However, a professional with a bit of salt and pepper, perhaps some oregano, might be an alternative.

I will see if there is a term that causes less confusion.

I don't know that "expert" is necessarily the same as "veteran". I think the time it takes to become an expert at something is much more relative, but maybe I'm not an expert at judging what an expert is.

It is all fairly subjective, and that is a bit by design. My main thinking on asking someone to indicate where they feel they are in their career, in a general sense, was that it would be complimentary information to the objectives. I can indicate in my profile how many years I have been in the business. But do I feel like I'm still just starting out for some reason? Do I feel like I have "long experience in a particular field" even if I've only been at it for, say, two years? It is not scientific, but it wasn't meant to be.

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

That said, I'm not entirely sure how all of this is supposed to be useful or have a direct impact on our UX, but I do hope proz will be monitoring this input in order to measurably improve... "stuff".

If you have a better understanding of who someone is, where someone is in their career, and where they want to go, you can better help them get there on a more personalized level. This can happen through changes to the site, but is not necessarily limited to that.

Katalin Szilárd wrote:
Is is possible to change it to?
to meet clients (you can add here translation agencies or end clients), who meet my terms, who pay and respect their translators, who pay on time (within 30 days), who pay above standard rates.

Not for now, I think. I made the objectives as general as possible, because once you start drilling down you'll find that you could have a list of hundreds of objectives if you want to cover everyone and everything with specifics. The additions you make to that objective are yours, and the additions I might make are different. In general, I would say "meet clients" means you start a working relation with them (otherwise it might be "meet potential clients"), and if you do that, it will be on your terms, right?

Katalin Szilárd wrote:
Can you add an option to change the order of the objectives?
So we could put the most important objective at the top of the list.

I think that would make sense and be in line with the purpose of the feature. I'll see what I can do.

@Fiona, I think in the objectives section of the profile it may not be 100% clear that choosing to make your objectives visible does not include making your career position and the ratings visible too. I'll work on that.

Jared

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 20:22
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
A few adjustments made May 22, 2019

Just a quick update here. Both ends of the career position selector have mouse-overs that clarify that "Interested" means "Not yet working in the industry" and "Veteran" means "Extensive time and experience in the industry". I tried to make it clearer that selecting to show your objectives in your profile will only show your objectives, and not the ratings or where you put yourself in the career position selector. And now once you have entered objectives you will be shown an option at the bottom... See more
Just a quick update here. Both ends of the career position selector have mouse-overs that clarify that "Interested" means "Not yet working in the industry" and "Veteran" means "Extensive time and experience in the industry". I tried to make it clearer that selecting to show your objectives in your profile will only show your objectives, and not the ratings or where you put yourself in the career position selector. And now once you have entered objectives you will be shown an option at the bottom to rank your objectives in order of their importance to you.

Thanks again for the feedback, and thanks to everyone who continues to enter their objectives (coming up on 1,000 people now).

Jared
Collapse

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 00:22
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Can we have a different name than "Veteran"? May 23, 2019

Jared Tabor wrote:

Just a quick update here. Both ends of the career position selector have mouse-overs that clarify that "Interested" means "Not yet working in the industry" and "Veteran" means "Extensive time and experience in the industry". I tried to make it clearer that selecting to show your objectives in your profile will only show your objectives, and not the ratings or where you put yourself in the career position selector. And now once you have entered objectives you will be shown an option at the bottom to rank your objectives in order of their importance to you.

Thanks again for the feedback, and thanks to everyone who continues to enter their objectives (coming up on 1,000 people now).

Jared

Expert is much more appropriate.

See veteran: https://www.google.com/search?q=veteran&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjW0J6dlbHiAhXTURUIHUH0CvIQ_AUIDigB&biw=1376&bih=639

And can we put the objectives in order (1. = most important)?
1. objective
2. objective etc.

[Edited at 2019-05-23 08:05 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

You can now add your professional objectives at ProZ.com

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »