Egmont Schröder
Egmont Schröder  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:37
Member (2013)
Chinese to German
+ ...
Apr 24, 2017

I am using Trados 2017 for some days now, and I found out that it always performs a QA check on return packages.

This can take quite a time for huge projects. Is there a way to deactivate this function?

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
This should be possible Apr 25, 2017

Egmont Schröder wrote:

I am using Trados 2017 for some days now, and I found out that it always performs a QA check on return packages.

This can take quite a time for huge projects. Is there a way to deactivate this function?

I'm a little surprised that this hasn't been answered yet. Surely it but must be possible to avoid this time consuming checking routines?

You could at least clear all checkmarks in the QA settings for the project.

Ravenak
Ravenak
France
This Dec 27, 2017

This is a huge pain. Please SDL, remove the mandatory QA check before the return package creation process, or at least add an option to disable it!

Lorenzo Bermejo
Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
Totally agree Dec 27, 2017

It is really a pain in the neck. You even run QA Verification and fix the issues, and before the return package, it runs automatically again with its huge amount of false positives. Can't understand the purpose behind this.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Answer from SDL Dec 27, 2017

Lorenzo Bermejo wrote:

It is really a pain in the neck.

I received this kind answer from Paul:

https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/90/p/15336/54880?Redirected=true#54880

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Why not.... Dec 27, 2017

Ravenak wrote:

This is a huge pain. Please SDL, remove the mandatory QA check before the return package creation process, or at least add an option to disable it!

... ask your Project Manager to create the packages without this checked? It's there because the Project Manager presumably wants you to do this. If the Project Manager doesn't know how to use the software correctly then the solution is to educate the Project Manager and not change the software.

Ravenak
Ravenak
France
Thanks... Dec 30, 2017

SDL Community wrote:
... ask your Project Manager to create the packages without this checked? It's there because the Project Manager presumably wants you to do this. If the Project Manager doesn't know how to use the software correctly then the solution is to educate the Project Manager and not change the software.

... for your answer. No way I could have known that’s how it’s now handled.

I find this to be an inadequate practice: it just undermines the trust between the project manager and the translator.
It should be the PM asking the translator to do the QA checks, not the translator asking the PM not to be forced to do them.

Don’t you think? You probably don’t, but hey, tyranny, why not.

Paula Price
SpecializedTR

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
No I don't. Jan 1, 2018

Ravenak wrote:

I find this to be an inadequate practice: it just undermines the trust between the project manager and the translator.
It should be the PM asking the translator to do the QA checks, not the translator asking the PM not to be forced to do them.

Don’t you think? You probably don’t, but hey, tyranny, why not.

I just think people need to know how to use the tools they are working with. Sometimes, for perfectly valid reasons it's important that the QA is carried out according to rules set by the Project Manager. It's enough for me to see how often people try to work around this and apply their own rules that this setting is necessary.

I'm sure there are times when it's valid to work around this because it wasn't set up on purpose, but again this is because of education. Tyranny has nothing to do with it. If you ask the Project Manager and they tell you they want to use their own rules then you know the answer, if they didn't know about this feature then you just helped them.

To not talk about it openly is hardly engendering trust. I really don't see the problem.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:37
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Who sets the rules? Jan 2, 2018

SDL Community wrote:

It's enough for me to see how often people try to work around this and apply their own rules that this setting is necessary.

Well, of course they do. It's the same old discussion about who should tell professionals how to practice their profession. Most translators set their own rules about how they practice their profession.

If the PM wants to add a time-consuming step, this should not be the default setting.

[Edited at 2018-01-02 00:57 GMT]

Mariana T. Buttermilch

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
I still don't agree Jan 2, 2018

John Fossey wrote:

Well, of course they do. It's the same old discussion about who should tell professionals how to practice their profession. Most translators set their own rules about how they practice their profession.

If this is all about PMs who don't know what they are doing then educate them... problem solved. Otherwise the translator should QA as they have been asked.

This has nothing to do with telling anyone how to practice their profession, it's about taking on work for someone who is paying a translator to do the work the way they have asked.

John Fossey wrote:

If the PM wants to add a time-consuming step, this should not be the default setting.

It's not the default. So this would suggest the PM specifically asked for it.

I understand that as a translator you want to be in control, but sometimes this is not what you are being paid for. No offence intended here at all. But this is black and white for me. Either it's important for you to QA according to rules that are important for the PM to follow, OR, the PM made a mistake in checking this box and you should educate him. I don't have a problem with anyone carrying out the QA according to the way they see fit, but this is not always what's being asked for, and if you don't do it the way it was asked for then you are not working to the required process and providing the quality required irrespective of how brilliant the translation actually is. QA is often about following a process and if all parties understand how the software worked we wouldn't/shouldn't be having this conversation at all.

Ravenak
Ravenak
France
Funny Jan 4, 2018

It’s interesting how you think adding this "feature" is increasing productivity and quality assurance when really it doesn’t, since you’re basically implementing an additional step which is just a duplicate of the good old "F8" after translation/proofreading/validation.

Fundamental cluttering. Hopefully your software doesn’t slowly turn into a kludge like MemoQ.

Michael Fletcher
Michael Fletcher  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:37
Member (2003)
Japanese to English
Trados QA not a very good investment Nov 15, 2018

The big struggle that I have with the QA feature/bug in Trados is that 90% of the time it is inaccurate. I understand the need and fully admit it is nice when it catches a number that is missed or something along those lines. However, in a project that I am currently working on, there is the number (4a) in the source and I have this in the target but it still sets a warning for a "missing or improperly localized number". Unfortunately, there a huge number of instances with this type of number.... See more
The big struggle that I have with the QA feature/bug in Trados is that 90% of the time it is inaccurate. I understand the need and fully admit it is nice when it catches a number that is missed or something along those lines. However, in a project that I am currently working on, there is the number (4a) in the source and I have this in the target but it still sets a warning for a "missing or improperly localized number". Unfortunately, there a huge number of instances with this type of number.

It is not the job of the translator to educate a PM on how to use software. It is the job of the software developer.
Collapse

SpecializedTR
John Fossey

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Any QA function has similar problems. Nov 16, 2018

Michael Fletcher wrote:
The big struggle that I have with the QA feature/bug in Trados is that 90% of the time it is inaccurate. I understand the need and fully admit it is nice when it catches a number that is missed or something along those lines. However, in a project that I am currently working on, there is the number (4a) in the source and I have this in the target but it still sets a warning for a "missing or improperly localized number". Unfortunately, there a huge number of instances with this type of number.

It is not the job of the translator to educate a PM on how to use software. It is the job of the software developer.

Actually the programmers have included a "caveat" if you like, in that it is possible to mark a lot of false positives in one go.

What I have in such an instance as your, is right click the error message and choose "Ignore all messages" from the pulldown list. That skips all similar errors, and I am not bothered with all the rest of the messages belonging to the same error category.

That said, I prefer the QA function in memoQ over the Verify function in Studio, but that's a different matter.

So I don't think you should complain over the developers in this instance, at least.

Roy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2017: Deactivate QA check for return packages

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »