Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11] >
What is your opinion on XTM Cloud CAT tool?
Thread poster: WolfestoneGroup
Conor Murphy
Conor Murphy  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:15
German to English
Why are spaces between words deleted in the Find window? Oct 7, 2020

One of the very many frustrating aspects of XTM is how spaces between words are deleted in the Find window when you hit the Replace or Find buttons. So when trying to use XTM's clunky find and replace function, the system throws in this curve ball. So, a three step process .. Insert find term, Insert replace term, hit replace (all) button ... is thus rendered many more times complicated, i.e. type in the offending words manually and hope that XTM does not take a disliking to the spaces... See more
One of the very many frustrating aspects of XTM is how spaces between words are deleted in the Find window when you hit the Replace or Find buttons. So when trying to use XTM's clunky find and replace function, the system throws in this curve ball. So, a three step process .. Insert find term, Insert replace term, hit replace (all) button ... is thus rendered many more times complicated, i.e. type in the offending words manually and hope that XTM does not take a disliking to the spaces((((((((Collapse

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:15
Member (2005)
Chinese to English
A question Oct 8, 2020

Are we now allowed to copy a phrase from a source segment on XTM? If not, what is the reason behind it?

Conor Murphy
United Kingdom
German to English
XTM says: It would be great if you could .... share more concrete examples Oct 9, 2020

If you guys could resolve the find and replace bug I described above, that would be a start.

I had a situation yesterday, when I wanted to replace all instances of "€[space]" with "€".

I copied and pasted "€[space]" into the search field and "€" into the replace find. When I hit replace, the system changed "€[space]" to "€", and so I could not perform this simple function

This meant that I had to manually search every instance of (e.g.) "€ x
... See more
If you guys could resolve the find and replace bug I described above, that would be a start.

I had a situation yesterday, when I wanted to replace all instances of "€[space]" with "€".

I copied and pasted "€[space]" into the search field and "€" into the replace find. When I hit replace, the system changed "€[space]" to "€", and so I could not perform this simple function

This meant that I had to manually search every instance of (e.g.) "€ xxx,xxx.00" with "€xxx,xxx.00" and delete the space manually.

It cost at least one hour. A ridiculous waste of time and energy, and reduces the time needed to perform a proper QA at the end. So quality suffers too.

Please fix!!!!!
Collapse

Felipe Lacerda
Felipe Lacerda  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:15
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It's not the worst... Oct 9, 2020

Every single time I have to work with XTM, something inside me cries. I always tell the clients that the tool sucks and they should avoid like the plague for their own good - QA is horrible, propagation is a joke, is slow as it could be in our days, interface is messy and crashes all the time. Once in a while, they do listen to me.

Anyway, not to end my post in a negative tone, I have to admit XTM is not the worst Web-based CAT tool I've ever worked with anymore. It once was, but th
... See more
Every single time I have to work with XTM, something inside me cries. I always tell the clients that the tool sucks and they should avoid like the plague for their own good - QA is horrible, propagation is a joke, is slow as it could be in our days, interface is messy and crashes all the time. Once in a while, they do listen to me.

Anyway, not to end my post in a negative tone, I have to admit XTM is not the worst Web-based CAT tool I've ever worked with anymore. It once was, but then the masterminds running MemoQ looked at that terrible UI, buggy and slow experience and said:

- Hold my beer.

And just surpassed XTM with MemoQWeb. Nice job, guys.

World would be 8,34% better with no XTM and MemoQ. Trust me. I did the math.
Collapse

XTM Intl
XTM Intl
United Kingdom
Whitespace handling Oct 12, 2020

Conor Murphy wrote:

This meant that I had to manually search every instance of (e.g.) "€ xxx,xxx.00" with "€xxx,xxx.00" and delete the space manually.

It cost at least one hour. A ridiculous waste of time and energy, and reduces the time needed to perform a proper QA at the end. So quality suffers too.

Please fix!!!!!

Dear Conor,

thank you for your post. Not sure about the XTM version you are running but as of v12.3 (released back in April this year) Workbench supports whitespace handling, meaning that you can also keep them in Find and Replace. When you open the Find and Replace window (Alt+F is the standard shortcut), you should expand the 'Options' that you see at the bottom of the window. The last option is 'Match the count of whitespaces'. Please give it a try and let our Support team know if it doesn't work.
With a specific configuration, your client can also enable soft break handling in the target segment as well (a carriage return resulting in a new line in the target segment), but this needs to be configured from support and it is only possible as of v12.4 (released this summer).
Early next year we will be also introducing regex-based QA checks, so this will make the QA in Workbench much more flexible. Stay tuned...

PS: Check what's new in 12.5, released just today! The release notes will come out today: https://xtm.cloud/release-notes/

Sara Basile
Product Manager
XTM International Ltd
www.xtm.cloud

Conor Murphy
United Kingdom
German to English
Oct 13, 2020

[Edited at 2020-10-13 11:01 GMT]

Conor Murphy
United Kingdom
German to English
Whitespace handling Oct 13, 2020

"Dear Conor,

thank you for your post. Not sure about the XTM version you are running but as of v12.3 (released back in April this year) Workbench supports whitespace handling, meaning that you can also keep them in Find and Replace. When you open the Find and Replace window (Alt+F is the standard shortcut), you should expand the 'Options' that you see at the bottom of the window. The last option is 'Match the count of whitespaces'. Please give it a try and let our Support team know
... See more
"Dear Conor,

thank you for your post. Not sure about the XTM version you are running but as of v12.3 (released back in April this year) Workbench supports whitespace handling, meaning that you can also keep them in Find and Replace. When you open the Find and Replace window (Alt+F is the standard shortcut), you should expand the 'Options' that you see at the bottom of the window. The last option is 'Match the count of whitespaces'. Please give it a try and let our Support team know if it doesn't work.
With a specific configuration, your client can also enable soft break handling in the target segment as well (a carriage return resulting in a new line in the target segment), but this needs to be configured from support and it is only possible as of v12.4 (released this summer).
Early next year we will be also introducing regex-based QA checks, so this will make the QA in Workbench much more flexible. Stay tuned...

PS: Check what's new in 12.5, released just today! The release notes will come out today: https://xtm.cloud/release-notes/

Sara Basile
Product Manager
XTM International Ltd
www.xtm.cloud"

Thanks Sara,

The "Match the count of whitespaces" button seems to work in that regard. But is this not merely a workaround for a problem that XTM creates? Why kill the spaces in a search term by default. When I copy and paste a search term, in 95% of cases that will be the term I want to search. I can delete spaces/edit the term if I wish, but that would, as for any user, only be the exception.

Also, why not have the Options appear by default in the find and search window? It would at least be one less button to click.

Again thanks for your feedback, but the prevailing impression is that the translator was very much secondary in the development process behind XTM.

[Edited at 2020-10-13 11:03 GMT]
Collapse

XTM Intl
XTM Intl
United Kingdom
Thank you for your feedback Oct 13, 2020

Conor Murphy wrote:

Again thanks for your feedback, but the prevailing impression is that the translator was very much secondary in the development process behind XTM.

Dear Conor,

thank you again for your feedback, first of all I am glad that you could reach the result you were aiming at.
As for the handling of whitespaces, this is actually something we wanted to treat very carefully. We see very often issues coming from unwanted pasted characters, and additional white spaces are often the cause. It is important for us to avoid the case where the user replaces all occurrences with whitespaces that were not supposed to be there (often happening with copy & paste). Hence we show this as a separate option.
It is also something that other tools handle similarly.

I appreciate your feedback on the user experience, we will think about the possibility to display the full window by default. For many linguists however it is also important that additional windows or options don't hide the main working area, hence we decided for now to only show the minimum information by default.

Thank you again for your honest feedback and I would just like to ensure you that we are putting a lot of focus on linguists' feedback when enhancing Workbench. It represents actually our only source of truth.
Over the next 3-4 releases Workbench will include a lot of features that have been requested by linguists over the past years. I hope that everyone on this channel will have the opportunity to test them.

Thank you again and kind regards,

Sara Basile
Product Manager
XTM International Ltd
www.xtm.cloud

Katrin Braams
Katrin Braams  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:15
Member (2018)
English to German
+ ...
Any way to change the position of the TM match window? Oct 15, 2020

Is there any way to change the position of the TM match window? I find it very inconvenient in the lower left corner of the screen, as it is difficult to keep in view while typing. In my opinion it would be better to have this window in the lower right corner of the screen, i. e. underneath the target text.

Also, how can I copy source to target? Alt + insert does not work.

Thanks in advance.

XTM Intl
XTM Intl
United Kingdom
Change the layout of your docked panel Oct 16, 2020

Katrin Braams wrote:

Is there any way to change the position of the TM match window? I find it very inconvenient in the lower left corner of the screen, as it is difficult to keep in view while typing. In my opinion it would be better to have this window in the lower right corner of the screen, i. e. underneath the target text.

Also, how can I copy source to target? Alt + insert does not work.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Katrin,

thank you for posting your question.
As of v12.4 it is possible to 'drag and drop' each part of the docked panel as you prefer. Just click on the name of the tab you want to move, for example Matches, and you can drag it to the place you wish (left, right, bottom, top) and then drop it. You will see a light blue line once the tab can be 'dropped' and placed in the new position. This information is available on our user manual (12.4) on page 252, 253. [you can download the manual for your version by clicking on the ? icon in the black ribbon on your Task view. The most up to date version is accessible also on our website at https://xtm.cloud/docs/xtm-manual.pdf]

Additionally, as of v12.5, released this week, it is possible to open these panels in a new browser window, in case you want to keep less information on your main screen (and you work with two screens). You can decide what to move, it doesn't have to be all panels.
Refer to our new Knowledge articles:
https://xtm.cloud/knowledge-base/how-to-open-a-docked-panel-in-a-new-window/
https://xtm.cloud/knowledge-base/how-to-open-all-docked-panels-in-a-new-window/

As for the shortcuts, it might be that something different is set. In Workbench, go to Settings - Shortcuts and search for "Copy source text to target text" under "Translation/Target". The standard shortcut is Alt + Insert.
If you have troubles with any of these settings, feel free to reach out to our Support team, we will be happy to help ([email protected])

Kind regards,
Sara Basile
Product Manager
XTM International Ltd
www.xtm.cloud

Conor Murphy
United Kingdom
German to English
Grey screen issues Oct 21, 2020

XTM Intl wrote:

Conor Murphy wrote:

Dear Conor,

thank you again for your feedback, first of all I am glad that you could reach the result you were aiming at.
As for the handling of whitespaces, this is actually something we wanted to treat very carefully. We see very often issues coming from unwanted pasted characters, and additional white spaces are often the cause. It is important for us to avoid the case where the user replaces all occurrences with whitespaces that were not supposed to be there (often happening with copy & paste). Hence we show this as a separate option.
It is also something that other tools handle similarly.

I appreciate your feedback on the user experience, we will think about the possibility to display the full window by default. For many linguists however it is also important that additional windows or options don't hide the main working area, hence we decided for now to only show the minimum information by default.

Thank you again for your honest feedback and I would just like to ensure you that we are putting a lot of focus on linguists' feedback when enhancing Workbench. It represents actually our only source of truth.
Over the next 3-4 releases Workbench will include a lot of features that have been requested by linguists over the past years. I hope that everyone on this channel will have the opportunity to test them.

Thank you again and kind regards,

Sara Basile
Product Manager
XTM International Ltd
www.xtm.cloud

Hi Sara,

Using my PC, in the Tasks Screen, when I click on an active task, the new screen (Workbench?) opens, but remains grey.

Using my laptop, I successfully opened the task. Any possible reason why the PC (which was working this morning) might not be able to do so right now?

XTM Intl
XTM Intl
United Kingdom
Re: Grey screen issues Oct 21, 2020

Hi Sara,

Using my PC, in the Tasks Screen, when I click on an active task, the new screen (Workbench?) opens, but remains grey.

Using my laptop, I successfully opened the task. Any possible reason why the PC (which was working this morning) might not be able to do so right now?

Hi Conor,

it might be just a glitch or an issue that our Support team will need to look at.
Kindly reach out to [email protected]

Many thanks,

Sara Basile
Product Manager
XTM International Ltd
www.xtm.cloud

Conor Murphy
United Kingdom
German to English
Automatically confirmed 100% matches Oct 22, 2020

XTM Intl wrote:

Hi Sara,

Hi Conor,

it might be just a glitch or an issue that our Support team will need to look at.
Kindly reach out to [email protected]

Many thanks,

Sara Basile
Product Manager
XTM International Ltd
www.xtm.cloud

Thanks Sara,

it's probably linked to a browser update it seems. I'll research further.

A final question from me for now:

I have proof-reading documents that contains a multitude of isolated hyphens. I have to "confirm" each one separately. How can I automate this process, or is this a project manager level permission?

XTM Intl
XTM Intl
United Kingdom
Batch changes to segment status Oct 22, 2020

Conor Murphy wrote:

A final question from me for now:

I have proof-reading documents that contains a multitude of isolated hyphens. I have to "confirm" each one separately. How can I automate this process, or is this a project manager level permission?

Hi Conor,

sure, and thanks for asking.
I can give you some options and tips, as I am not sure exactly how these segments look in Workbench in your project. One of the following may be applicable in your case.

If the segment is only containing a hyphen, it will probably be automatically recognised as non-translatable (see segment qualifier at the right of the segment, for non-translatable it is an N)
In this case, N segments can be automatically copied to target and confirmed during project analysis so that you as a linguist don't have to even look at them. This is however a setting that the Project Manager has to make while creating the project (or project template), it is just a check box (Set non-translatables as done - all steps).
If they are not confirmed or populated when you get the task, you can easily perform batch changes. Start by using segment filters; search in the filter for 'Containing specific text' and type the hyphen / or if these segments are all non-translatable, you can filter by 'State qualifier' - 'Non translatable'.
Once filtered, in Workbench go to File > Change status and choose the relevant option. The changes will apply to the filtered segments.
There are some tips related to segment filters and how to reduce clicks, I could recommend this article for example:
https://xtm.cloud/knowledge-base/how-to-set-combined-filters-as-a-favorite-in-xtm-workbench/
We also recently introduced advanced options for auto-propagating changes to repetitions when using filters:
https://xtm.cloud/knowledge-base/how-to-update-all-filtered-segments/

I hope this helps, otherwise you may find additional tips in our Knowledge Base articles at https://xtm.cloud/knowledge-base/xtm-workbench/

Kind regards,
Sara Basile
Product Manager
XTM International Ltd
www.xtm.cloud

Elsa Trigo
Elsa Trigo  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
XTM people, could you address the following? Oct 24, 2020

XTM people, could you address the following?

1. Where can I see and run a file analysis in XTM workbench?

2. Why on earth doesn't it automatically show TM hits in the concordance window when I put the cursor on a segment?

3. Why doesn't it automatically populate the target segment with the best TM hit (can't find this option anywhere)?

4. Why doesn't it have a filter to show/hide no match?

5. Why don't segments automatically
... See more
XTM people, could you address the following?

1. Where can I see and run a file analysis in XTM workbench?

2. Why on earth doesn't it automatically show TM hits in the concordance window when I put the cursor on a segment?

3. Why doesn't it automatically populate the target segment with the best TM hit (can't find this option anywhere)?

4. Why doesn't it have a filter to show/hide no match?

5. Why don't segments automatically have the indication of the "fuzziness" percentage?

I'd appreciate if you could shed some light on the above, as to this point, your tool is just making me loose time, productivity and patience.

Thank you in advance for your explanation.
Collapse

Catherine Skala

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

What is your opinion on XTM Cloud CAT tool?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »