LSP requiring to file W-8BEN tax form (U.S. tax form)
Thread poster: Chrystele Lacroix
Chrystele Lacroix
Chrystele Lacroix  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:41
English to French
Apr 25

Hi everybody,

After being tested in translation and passing the test, I was requested by the LSP to file a W-8BEN tax form.

As a permanent resident of the United States who returned to my native country, France, last year, I am unsure about the applicability of the W-8BEN tax form to my situation. The form states,

'Do NOT use this form if You are a U.S. citizen... including a resident alien individual?'

This has led me to believe that the fo
... See more
Hi everybody,

After being tested in translation and passing the test, I was requested by the LSP to file a W-8BEN tax form.

As a permanent resident of the United States who returned to my native country, France, last year, I am unsure about the applicability of the W-8BEN tax form to my situation. The form states,

'Do NOT use this form if You are a U.S. citizen... including a resident alien individual?'

This has led me to believe that the form may not be relevant to me. Can anyone shed some light on this?

The LSP's manager is not able to tell me if I should file it or not, but she explained:

"...The W-9 form is for people paying taxes in the U.S. and the W8-BEN form is for people who do not get taxed/do not pay taxes in the U.S..."

Did anyone have to file this tax form (or another) when signing a contract with an LSP?

Which form should I file based on my situation?

Thank you in advance for any advice.
Collapse

Sarper Aman
Sarper Aman  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 12:41
Member (2019)
English to Turkish
+ ...
IRS Apr 25

Hope this helps.

"An immigrant who obtains a green card is treated as a lawful permanent resident and is considered a U.S. tax resident for U.S. income tax purposes. For assistance in determining whether you are a U.S. tax resident or nonresident please refer to determining alien tax status."

"If you are a U.S. tax resident or U.S. citizen, the rules for filing income, estate, and gift tax returns and paying estimated tax are generally the same whether you are in the Un
... See more
Hope this helps.

"An immigrant who obtains a green card is treated as a lawful permanent resident and is considered a U.S. tax resident for U.S. income tax purposes. For assistance in determining whether you are a U.S. tax resident or nonresident please refer to determining alien tax status."

"If you are a U.S. tax resident or U.S. citizen, the rules for filing income, estate, and gift tax returns and paying estimated tax are generally the same whether you are in the United States or abroad. Your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you reside."

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/tax-information-and-responsibilities-for-new-immigrants-to-the-united-states

Looks like, you're W9. Thou, I don't know if there's an exception in the law.
Collapse

Jorge Payan

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:41
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Chrystele Apr 26

I’ve never worked or lived in the USA, but one of my regular clients asked me when we started working together (2019) to sign a W-8BEN (Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Withholding and Reporting (Individuals), which I did.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

LSP requiring to file W-8BEN tax form (U.S. tax form)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »