Passport # requested by a translation company (proz member)
Thread poster: Marie Claude Etoc
Marie Claude Etoc
Marie Claude Etoc  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:25
French to English
+ ...
Apr 25, 2016

I have been asked for my Passport number by a translation company in the Netherlands who is also a proz.com member when I quoted on a project. Is this normal practice given the fact that identity theft is a concern and on the rise.

Ilan Rubin (X)
Ilan Rubin (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:25
Russian to English
No Apr 25, 2016

Marie Claude Etoc wrote:

I have been asked for my Passport number by a translation company in the Netherlands who is also a proz.com member when I quoted on a project. Is this normal practice given the fact that identity theft is a concern and on the rise.

Never come across this before. Normally I would refuse.

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 03:25
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
The Reason Apr 25, 2016

I do not see any need for it but I would ask them immediately why they need the number.

Chié_JP
Chié_JP
Japan
Local time: 09:25
Member (2013)
English to Japanese
+ ...
NO with capital Apr 25, 2016

I ask THEM to submit THEIR passport number and identity to me, and if they refuse you are also entitled to. Normally I don't.

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:25
Czech to French
+ ...
Maybe Apr 25, 2016

they have a standard form with all questions that may apply - they might need your passport no. if´you were an interpreter and were supposed to work (by physical presence rather than over the phone) in a country other than your own. If this is not the case, just ignore the question.

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:25
Portuguese to English
+ ...
No, they still wouldn't need the number. Apr 25, 2016

EvaVer wrote:
they have a standard form with all questions that may apply - they might need your passport no. if´you were an interpreter and were supposed to work (by physical presence rather than over the phone) in a country other than your own. If this is not the case, just ignore the question.

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
I'm no expert on fraud Apr 25, 2016

but I doubt a passport number could be used for any purpose other than to verify to the agency that you are who you say you are. They may have had some bad experiences with people impersonating someone (e.g. a translator) they are not with a stolen CV. Still, I would also be reluctant to give out that kind of information without a very good reason. To date I have not had to face this issue and hope I never will.

Michal Fabian
Michal Fabian  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:25
Dutch to Slovak
+ ...
The short answer is "no." Apr 25, 2016

The long answer is "hell no."

(Paraphrasing Stephen Fry here, of course).

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
They don't need it Apr 25, 2016

It is definitely not standard practice. You could ask them why they think they need your passport number, but in fact, as long as you provide the service they request and suitable bank information or whatever they need to pay you, then who you are and all your other private details are strictly none of their business.

Clients do like to know who they are dealing with at some level, however. It may be fair enough to ask for some credentials about your training and qualifications, so
... See more
It is definitely not standard practice. You could ask them why they think they need your passport number, but in fact, as long as you provide the service they request and suitable bank information or whatever they need to pay you, then who you are and all your other private details are strictly none of their business.

Clients do like to know who they are dealing with at some level, however. It may be fair enough to ask for some credentials about your training and qualifications, so they know how professional you are before they entrust important work to you. Scans of diplomas and membership of a professional association are reasonable, but I never give references either.

As you are outside Europe, they don't need to worry about your VAT number... and that is possibly why they are asking about your passport instead.

How many hoops you jump through will depend on how much you want the job, but it is your decision.
Collapse

finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 20:25
English to Finnish
+ ...
Stupid request Apr 25, 2016

You don't need a passport to be a translator. Not even a birth certificate (unless, of course, they suspect that you might be a robot. or a space alien).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Passport # requested by a translation company (proz member)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »