Katharina Nachtigall
Katharina Nachtigall  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 16:03
English to German
+ ...
Sep 20, 2019

Hello fellow translators.

Sorry if this topic has been posted before and it seems like a repeat, but I have searched the forum for this topic and have found information and opinions on wether it is necessary, or not, to get public liability and/or professional indemnity insurance.

- What I haven't found is precise information on what providers of such insurance are out there.
I have also done my research and found only a very limited amount of providers. But woul
... See more
Hello fellow translators.

Sorry if this topic has been posted before and it seems like a repeat, but I have searched the forum for this topic and have found information and opinions on wether it is necessary, or not, to get public liability and/or professional indemnity insurance.

- What I haven't found is precise information on what providers of such insurance are out there.
I have also done my research and found only a very limited amount of providers. But would like to shop around more, the more quotes I get, the better, so I can compare and base my decision on as much background information as possible.

Q: If you do have public liability and/or indemnity insurance (apparently they come in a package), who is it with (what insurance company)?
And how much do you pay / would I have to expect to pay yearly? (I know that depends on your income, but ballpark)

I live and run my translation business in Australia. So any local advice would be amazing, but I am thankful for any advice in general!!

Thank you.
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Fenton Green for AUSIT Members Sep 20, 2019

Hi Katharina,

As you're a NAATI-certified translator you can sign up for AUSIT membership.
AUSIT members are eligible for the T&I industry insurance from Fenton Green.

My total for both PI & liability insurance is less than $330/year.

Please see here for
... See more
Hi Katharina,

As you're a NAATI-certified translator you can sign up for AUSIT membership.
AUSIT members are eligible for the T&I industry insurance from Fenton Green.

My total for both PI & liability insurance is less than $330/year.

Please see here for more details: https://ausit.org/AUSIT/Members_Area/Deals_and_Benefits/Professional_Indemnity_Insurance/AUSIT/Members_Area/Member_Documents/Professional_Indemnity_Insurance.aspx

Come along to one of the AUSIT events here in Brisbane, (like the upcoming intl. translator day walk: https://www.proz.com/powwow/7055 ), would be happy to chat!

DJH
Collapse

William Tierney
William Tierney  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:03
Member (2002)
Arabic to English
Hiscox Professional Liability Insurance Sep 20, 2019

Dear Katharina,

I use Hiscox insurance. I haven't had to file a claim, so I can't vouch for their responsiveness. Hiscox, located on Madison Ave in NYC, is known in the greater business world, so there is a psychological advantage to using them. It will leave direct clients more comfortable in using your services.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Public liability and professional indemnity - providers

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »