Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:05
English to French
+ ...
Great information! Nov 14, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

Pizzas is the right word! Only issue is the specs of flour and sauce, which makes it incompatible with most keyboards... jjjjj

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 16:05
German to Swedish
+ ...
But Nov 14, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

the interest for translation services is quite steady, while the yellow line is depicting the hype around ai and translation.

But if overall translation service interest is quite steady, and the chart is an indication of how work is allocated, there's less work for the human translators.

Marina Aleyeva

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:05
English to French
+ ...
Other relevant data Nov 15, 2023

Joakim Braun wrote:

But if overall translation service interest is quite steady, and the chart is an indication of how work is allocated, there's less work for the human translators.

These charts are about internet searches. However, there are some other charts of relevance available. Here's one from CSA Research:

https://csa-research.com/Blogs-Events/Blog/ArticleID/604/global-content-translation-volume

[Edited at 2023-11-15 08:48 GMT]

Gerard de Noord
P.L.F. Persio

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SERPs Nov 15, 2023

Joakim Braun wrote:

I am not sure if I understand that correctly. In what sense it is an "indication of how work is allocated"?
What's important is: Where do users get directed by the search engines? What appears in the search results when they use these search terms?
For example, there's the problem that translation _tools_ dominate at least the first SERP when you search for "xx yy translator" (where xx yy is the language combination). Therefore, optimizing your website for such keywords has no or very little effect - it is superfluous.

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
some real figures - 2 Nov 15, 2023

These are real figures for some keywords (region: USA, language: English), average monthly search volume and trends.
We saw "ai translator" already in a previous post.

keyword trends english translator vs tools

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Research Nov 15, 2023

Philippe Locquet wrote:

Joakim Braun wrote:

These charts are about internet searches. However, there are some other charts of relevance available. Here's one from CSA Research:

https://csa-research.com/Blogs-Events/Blog/ArticleID/604/global-content-translation-volume

The table disappeared from your post.
From the blog you linked you can get to interesting research.
A downloadable document is this one from 2020 - The State of the Linguist Supply Chain: https://insights.csa-research.com/reportaction/305013106/Toc

Philippe Locquet
Tony Keily

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
google translate Nov 17, 2023

Since "machine translation" is not that specific, I tried "google translate" as this is what most people mean by machine translation.
Here's the picture - GT beats pizza!
Again, search popularity for the remaining topics is so small compared with these two that it appears as a flat line.

trends ai vs google translate 20 yrs

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:05
English to Turkish
A breath of fresh air! Nov 18, 2023

I find this gentleman's simple, no-nonsense approach to explaining the impact of AI on the translation industry so thoroughly refreshing and thought provoking. It's a breath of fresh air, really, to have all these intricately complex trends explained to you in such simple, good old layman's terms instead of getting bombarded with over-complicated, nerdy graphs and stats involving country comparisons, food industry benchmarks and so on.

cR5NFH1__400x400

I've just signed up for this guy's AI and neural translation analytics and probabilities winter course in Florida. One week course cost me 3000 USD, but I reckon it's money well spent. Hopefully it'll pay dividends for my career as a human translator. I'll sure find out soon enough!

Christopher Schröder
Matthias Brombach

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is the Translation industry...

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »