Belgium
Local time: 03:23
English to Dutch
+ ...
Oct 29, 2001

Could be useful:

ADDRESSES AND SALUTATIONS

http://www.bspage.com/address.html

To do business successfully with other countries you need more than just good products and the skill to sell them. You also need to be sensitive to business etiquette, the customs and traditions that are observed by businesses in each country. International Addresses and Salutations at <
... See more
Could be useful:

ADDRESSES AND SALUTATIONS

http://www.bspage.com/address.html

To do business successfully with other countries you need more than just good products and the skill to sell them. You also need to be sensitive to business etiquette, the customs and traditions that are observed by businesses in each country. International Addresses and Salutations at http://www.bspage.com/address.html will help you with that. It\'s a page with examples of the correct forms of postal addressing for various countries, along with brief explanations of how to address men and women in business. Here you\'ll find that women in business in Italy are addressed as Signora, and that in Japan a person\'s given name is normally not used in business, to give two examples.

Have a nice day,

Evert Deloof-Sys

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-10-29 22:57 ]
Collapse

Thijs van Dorssen
Thijs van Dorssen  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Useful link! Oct 29, 2001

Thanks Evert, for this very useful link. I am sure it will come in handy at times. Thanks again. Het wordt gewaardeerd of zoals het bij jullie heet, geapprecieerd.

Best regards

Thijs van Dorssen

Cologne

Ian Ferguson
Ian Ferguson
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:23
Spanish to English
I agree! Oct 29, 2001

It is also important to use the correct forms of postal address. For example, in some countries (e.g.UK, France) the house number come before the street name. In others (Spain, Germany) it\'s the other way round. Definately a site to bookmark!
[addsig]

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Postal addresses are given as well Oct 29, 2001

Yes, indeed, but if you\'d go the site mentioned, you\'d notice that postal addresses are given as well

Quote:

On 2001-10-29 16:47, IanF wrote:

It is also important to use the correct forms of postal address. For example, in some countries (e.g.UK, France) the house number come before the street name. In others (Spain, Germany) it\'s the other way round. Definite... See more
Yes, indeed, but if you\'d go the site mentioned, you\'d notice that postal addresses are given as well

Quote:

On 2001-10-29 16:47, IanF wrote:

It is also important to use the correct forms of postal address. For example, in some countries (e.g.UK, France) the house number come before the street name. In others (Spain, Germany) it\'s the other way round. Definitely a site to bookmark!

Collapse

Karin Adamczyk (X)
Karin Adamczyk (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:23
French to English
Doesn't tell you everything though Oct 30, 2001

For example, in Quebec, a woman is not allowed to use their husband\'s family name unless they change their name legally. This means that I am Karin Adamczyk, I am married, but my mother is Mrs. Adamczyk, not me. I use my maiden name (Ms. Adamczyk where formal). This law went into effect some years ago and does not apply to my mother, but anyone married here in the last 20 or so years must abide by this law.

What this means is that you need to find out whether someone wants
... See more
For example, in Quebec, a woman is not allowed to use their husband\'s family name unless they change their name legally. This means that I am Karin Adamczyk, I am married, but my mother is Mrs. Adamczyk, not me. I use my maiden name (Ms. Adamczyk where formal). This law went into effect some years ago and does not apply to my mother, but anyone married here in the last 20 or so years must abide by this law.

What this means is that you need to find out whether someone wants to be addressed as Mrs., Ms. or Miss.

It also shows that the site, while excellent, may be missing some subtle details.

FWIW,

Karin Adamczyk
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adresses and salutations

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »