Tom in London
Tom in London
المملكة المتحدة
Local time: 03:25
عضو (2008)
إيطالي إلى أنجليزي
Recommendations Apr 15, 2013

Rob Edwards wrote:

I have recently started getting the odd twinge in my back and think that this is probably caused by a combination of a desk that is too tall for me and a chair that doesn't really offer very good support for my back.

The upshot of this is that I need to have a rethink about my workstation. Does anyone have any recommendations for good quality office chairs and/or desks/workstations?

Many thanks,

Rob

1. Don't use a shiny screen. Those reflections are a killer!
2. Your eyes should be in line with the top edge of your screen so that you are always looking horizontally or downwards. This will protect you from neck strain.
3. You should be able to rest your palms on your table top, whilst typing. Not all the time, but when you pause.
4. Your lower back should be firmly supported at all times.
5. Your chair should have armrests. Not to rest your elbows on all the time, but when you pause. I am currently sitting on a Kartell Maui swivel chair with armrests, castors, and adjustable height, designed by Vico Magistretti a long time ago as a seriously ergonomic office chair, and still excellent for working. It's worthwhile buying the best chair you can afford, since you're going to be spending most of your life sitting on it. Better still if it's beautiful. Here's a pic: http://tinyurl.com/d7wl5v2
6. The background colour of your screen (or the wallpaper) should be a darkish blue/green (this colour is known to be restful on the eyes) - similar to this colour: http://tinyurl.com/cvu5m38
7. You should be able to look up from your workstation and refocus your eyes on something far away - preferably a pleasant view through a window (but not in front of you!). This will help to reduce eye strain.

[Edited at 2013-04-15 10:55 GMT]

Norskpro
Norskpro
النرويج
Local time: 04:25
عضو
أنجليزي إلى نرويجي
+ ...
Variation Apr 15, 2013

The best desk to have is adjustable, so that you can choose either to stand or sit down. Tom from London has explained also about the screen height etc., many important points to consider. Your chair should be adjusted so that the seat leans a bit forward (slopes down) in the front. This puts less pressure on the back.

I sit in a very comfortable chair, which is quite expensive, but I can certainly recommend it.
It is called Aeron, and it is adjustable in every possible way. <
... See more
The best desk to have is adjustable, so that you can choose either to stand or sit down. Tom from London has explained also about the screen height etc., many important points to consider. Your chair should be adjusted so that the seat leans a bit forward (slopes down) in the front. This puts less pressure on the back.

I sit in a very comfortable chair, which is quite expensive, but I can certainly recommend it.
It is called Aeron, and it is adjustable in every possible way.
http://www.hermanmiller.com/products/seating/performance-work-chairs/aeron-chairs.html
Collapse

Erudites
Erudites  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:55
دانماركي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Get a standing desk Jan 9, 2014

Rob Edwards wrote:

I have recently started getting the odd twinge in my back and think that this is probably caused by a combination of a desk that is too tall for me and a chair that doesn't really offer very good support for my back.

The upshot of this is that I need to have a rethink about my workstation. Does anyone have any recommendations for good quality office chairs and/or desks/workstations?

Many thanks,

Rob

I have got an adjustable desk here in my office owing to back pain.

Here is an interesting read discussing productivity issues with standing desks. Somehow, i am still not able to acclimatize with the standing desk.

Sitting vs Standing: A tradeoff between health and productivity?

http://letstip.com/sitting-vs-standing-tradeoff-health-productivity/

صفحات الموضوع:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ergonomic Chair/Desk Combination

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »