Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Oct 13, 2008

Hello,
When I am looking at the Guideline for Removing KudoZ Questions I see the following items, which are very hard for me to understand:

- Text to be translated is longer than ten words

Expressions or sentences longer than 10 words are not appropriate for KudoZ.

- Includes more than one term question

Unless they share a root or are otherwise related, terms should be posted separately--an asker should not ask how to say "apple" and "banana" in the same question.

Can you ask a question which should consist of 10 words and include only one term?

[Edited at 2008-10-13 18:06]

Amy Taylor
Amy Taylor  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:34
Italian to English
Certainly you can! Oct 13, 2008

For example, in English one might ask the meaning of "he comes off as arrogant". The asker likely knows the meaning of both "comes" and "off", but perhaps does not understand the phrasal verb "to come off as".

If this asker *also* wants to know the meaning of "arrogant", then he must post a second question.

HTH

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:34
Russian to English
+ ...
Good question Oct 13, 2008

I suspect the person who wrote the rule was being generous. It's hard to anticipate everything that might come up when writing a general rule, so why not be generous?

That said, the longer questions tend to pertain more to grammar and syntax than terminology. I have seen reasonable questions where the issue was difficult syntax, sometimes with a grammatical or spelling error, rather than a single technical term, and the text was relatively long. I've also seen questions where an
... See more
I suspect the person who wrote the rule was being generous. It's hard to anticipate everything that might come up when writing a general rule, so why not be generous?

That said, the longer questions tend to pertain more to grammar and syntax than terminology. I have seen reasonable questions where the issue was difficult syntax, sometimes with a grammatical or spelling error, rather than a single technical term, and the text was relatively long. I've also seen questions where an obscure technical term was embedded in difficult syntax.
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:34
Italian to English
+ ...
examples Oct 13, 2008

If someone posts up "cat, dog, budgie", then that counts as more than one term - it's actually three, of course, and so three separate questions must be asked.

However, if someone posts "the cat sat on the mat" and tells you they don't understand the sentence, then that is OK as one question - it's not a specific term that's causing the problem, but the sentence as a who
... See more
If someone posts up "cat, dog, budgie", then that counts as more than one term - it's actually three, of course, and so three separate questions must be asked.

However, if someone posts "the cat sat on the mat" and tells you they don't understand the sentence, then that is OK as one question - it's not a specific term that's causing the problem, but the sentence as a whole.
On the other hand, if they asked for a translation of "the budgie sat on the cat which was sitting on the mat which the dog was sleeping on", that's not allowed - it contains more than 10 words.

Hope that helps
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Of course a term can be more than 10 words! Oct 13, 2008

Here's a hypothetical example, for the fun of it:

[name of US state] [division of government]
[The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations] [Bureau of Firearms, Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco Products]

I count 17 words in my made-up example!

(Whoops! There were only 16 words!)

[Edited at 2008-10-13 18:25]

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
The FAQ explains it Oct 14, 2008

http://www.proz.com/faq/kudoz#What_is_term_help

59. What constitutes "term help" as defined in rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/kudoz_general/1.1#1.1 ?

KudoZ questions can be used to ask for help on terms or idiomatic expressions.

A group of words (up to approximately 10) should be posted in a single question only when they constitute an unbreakable unit, such as an idiomatic expression (e.g. 'a jack of all trades and master of none') that may be several words long and where omitting any part would not formulate the question correctly.

Askers can also post sentences to ask for help in understanding a meaning, word order or a grammatical issue, but this should be done in the corresponding monolingual language pair. Monolingual KudoZ questions can be asked by selecting the same language for both source and target languages.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can you ask such question?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »