Searching KudoZ glossaries
Thread poster: Russell Jones
Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:01
Italian to English
Feb 20, 2004

Last week, for the first time, I had occasion to make a large number of glossary searches. I soon realised that previous questions in the reverse language direction to mine were equally valuable sources of information.
However, having to reset the source and target languages on each occasion was really something of a chore and I wonder if it might be possible to have an option to see examples in both directions on the same page.

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:01
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
It is possible Feb 20, 2004

If you use KudoZ Search function, all you have to do is to tick the 'Bidirectional search' box, the last one on the right hand side. You can also save your settings (on the bottom of the page) so your selection stays if you search for more terms.
HTH
Magda

[Edited at 2004-02-20 20:45]

Ruben Berrozpe (X)
Ruben Berrozpe (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Yes, but... Feb 20, 2004

Magda Dziadosz wrote:

If you use KudoZ Search function, all you have to do is to tick the 'Bidirectional search' box, the last one on the right hand side. You can also save your settings (on the bottom of the page) so your selection stays if you search for more terms.
HTH
Magda

[Edited at 2004-02-20 20:45]

KudoZ search doesn't include entries from personal glossaries, IIRC.

I have still to try Fusion to see how it handles searches, but for the time being, I believe the kudoz/glossary/internet search area is a little bit unconsistent. I use the three of them quite often but I'd rather see a unique, clear, consistent and user-friendly search engine whose results included searches of personal glossaries as well as the KOG.

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:01
Spanish to English
Yes, the search glossaries option could be improved Feb 21, 2004

I tried the kudoz search option, but I didn't like it. I prefer to use the "search glossaries" and the internet search engines separately.
Would it not be possible to make some improvements to it?
I see so many other changes happening to other parts of the site, could this part of the site not be improved as well?

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:31
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
"Save the settings" is for platinum members only Feb 21, 2004

Magda Dziadosz wrote:
You can also save your settings (on the bottom of the page) so your selection stays if you search for more terms.

I checked the above feature. It is available to platinum members only. Nevertheless, the other features continue to be helpful.

Regards,
N.Raghavan

Angela Arnone
Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:01
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
When it's for free! Feb 22, 2004

Good morning all!
All of the points made here are very valid, but let's be honest, it only takes a few extra seconds to use the various options and they are all free.
So let's not look a gift horse in the mouth. There is far more free on the site than "Platinum-only" and having recently discussed the pluses of Platinum membership, perhaps the major one would be that with a few dollars/euros we contribute to keeping the site alive. How many of us would be lost without our daily shot o
... See more
Good morning all!
All of the points made here are very valid, but let's be honest, it only takes a few extra seconds to use the various options and they are all free.
So let's not look a gift horse in the mouth. There is far more free on the site than "Platinum-only" and having recently discussed the pluses of Platinum membership, perhaps the major one would be that with a few dollars/euros we contribute to keeping the site alive. How many of us would be lost without our daily shot of Proz.Com, all the friends made via the site, the networking, cultural and intellectual growth and even the stimulus from seeing opinions different to our own, news about products, support when we are truly stuck for a term? Need I say more?
Angela

Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:

It is available to platinum members only. Nevertheless, the other features continue to be helpful.

Regards,
N.Raghavan
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:01
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Suitably chastened Feb 22, 2004

Yes, you're right to remind us of this Angela; I shall be forking out for Platinum membership - as soon as I have another 57 BrowniZ!
I have no problem (nor any right to have a problem) with services being restricted to Platinum members.
However, one of the other marvellous things about ProZ.com is that members' (participants'?) constructive suggestions are listened to and, more often than not, acted upon, whether they are Platinum members or not.
Blue riband bearer at last! <
... See more
Yes, you're right to remind us of this Angela; I shall be forking out for Platinum membership - as soon as I have another 57 BrowniZ!
I have no problem (nor any right to have a problem) with services being restricted to Platinum members.
However, one of the other marvellous things about ProZ.com is that members' (participants'?) constructive suggestions are listened to and, more often than not, acted upon, whether they are Platinum members or not.
Blue riband bearer at last!

[Edited at 2004-02-23 23:33]
Collapse

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:31
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
No one is looking a gift horse in the mouth Feb 22, 2004

Angela Arnone wrote:
So let's not look a gift horse in the mouth. There is far more free on the site than "Platinum-only" and having recently discussed the pluses of Platinum membership, perhaps the major one would be that with a few dollars/euros we contribute to keeping the site alive. How many of us would be lost without our daily shot of Proz.Com, all the friends made via the site, the networking, cultural and intellectual growth and even the stimulus from seeing opinions different to our own, news about products, support when we are truly stuck for a term?

Definitely not I. ProZ.com is a valuable portal and I do not grudge the extra benefits for the platinum members. It is as it should be. My motive was just stating a fact, as the person posting the details of the above feature was himself a platinum member and could not know of this fact. I made it very clear here as well as elsewhere that Proz.com is a great portal. My not becoming a platinum member is a concious decision on my part and has been arrived at after studying all aspects of my case.

Regards,
N.Raghavan

[Edited at 2004-02-23 10:15]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Searching KudoZ glossaries

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »