Citing sources and copyright. When does infringement occur?
Thread poster: mike23
mike23
mike23
Poland
Local time: 23:21
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 25, 2022

Dear Colleagues,

I am writing about one thing which might be more of a legal issue.

While posting answers to questions most of us quote or paraphrase from online sources. What is more, our Rules support substantiating suggested translations with excerpts from sources.

"3.2 (Guideline): Links are preferred over cut-and-pasted text for large texts.
When substantiating one's suggested translation with information available elsewhere on the web, rather t
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

I am writing about one thing which might be more of a legal issue.

While posting answers to questions most of us quote or paraphrase from online sources. What is more, our Rules support substantiating suggested translations with excerpts from sources.

"3.2 (Guideline): Links are preferred over cut-and-pasted text for large texts.
When substantiating one's suggested translation with information available elsewhere on the web, rather than copying a large segment of text as reference, it is preferable to include an excerpt from the text, along with a link for those who desire more information."

How far can we go with citing/quoting? When does copyright infringement occur? Please note that many websites read "All rights reserved" or "The material on the Website is copyright". Some websites even expressly say: Any unauthorized use or copying is prohibited.

So can we quote/cite/use excerpts from online sources at all? When does the line of 'fair use/dealing' fall?

I am keen to learn your opinion on the matter. A legal opinion from Proz.com staff would be appreciated, too.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to reading your comments
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
I don't think it's an issue. Jan 26, 2022

If you took someone else's text and passed it off as your own for commercial gain, that's a breach of copyright. But simply quoting it is perfectly OK.

Michele Fauble
expressisverbis
mike23
Daryo

mike23
mike23
Poland
Local time: 23:21
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Perhaps the line should be drawn more clearly Jan 29, 2022

Thanks Phil, I agree. This is what common sense would suggest. Otherwise I assume that 'fair use/dealing' laws apply. I only wish a Proz lawyer/moderator said something and drew the line more clearly. Or perhaps the Site Rules already have the answers. I need to read them more carefully I guess. Thanks for answering. Best regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Citing sources and copyright. When does infringement occur?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »