Unicode characters on the homepage
Thread poster: Endre Both
Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:46
English to German
Dec 8, 2002

This is really a small one (at least from my angle), I hope you don\'t feel chased around, Hermann . I just thought you might want to know.

While questions posted with Kudoz.Net that have accented characters are OK on the Kudoz page, they do not display correctly on the homepage (list of recent questions):

\"plutôt que de braire\" appears as

\"plu
... See more
This is really a small one (at least from my angle), I hope you don\'t feel chased around, Hermann . I just thought you might want to know.

While questions posted with Kudoz.Net that have accented characters are OK on the Kudoz page, they do not display correctly on the homepage (list of recent questions):

\"plutôt que de braire\" appears as

\"plutôt que de braire\"

(Question: http://www.proz.com/?sp=h&id=323333 )

Best regards

Endre

EB Communications
Collapse

Hermann Bruns
Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
English to German
Could not reproduce Dec 9, 2002

Hello Endre,

I was not able to reproduce the display bug. I checked the \"Answer KudoZ (easy)\" link and the \"Asker history\" link, and each time the question was displayed correctly.

Please check again, and let me know where exactly you saw the mistake (if you able to reproduce it, for, maybe, I have fixed it this afternoon when fixing some other bugs).

Best regards

Hermann

Endre Both
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Not easy to reproduce... Dec 9, 2002

...because it only appears on the home page (where the last ten questions are displayed).

If you click on \"see more questions\", it displays ok.

What you could try is post a \"dummy question\" with a lot of accents via Kudoz.NET and see immediately (before it is crowded out from the top ten list by other questions) how it looks like on the homepage.

I recognize it\'s not a major issue ... See more
...because it only appears on the home page (where the last ten questions are displayed).

If you click on \"see more questions\", it displays ok.

What you could try is post a \"dummy question\" with a lot of accents via Kudoz.NET and see immediately (before it is crowded out from the top ten list by other questions) how it looks like on the homepage.

I recognize it\'s not a major issue .

Regards, Endre
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:46
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
What's happening to encodings? Dec 9, 2002

Unicode has been mentioned in this forum with some reference to it being applied to the whole ProZ site. Are you currently trying to do this? I ask because whatever encoding I have set in View/Encoding in Internet Explorer, it always comes out as Western European on the screen.

I\'ll put a note about this in Bugs as well.

Note added 1051 pm

I have now realized that this only affects the KudoZ pages, not the home page or the forums.

... See more
Unicode has been mentioned in this forum with some reference to it being applied to the whole ProZ site. Are you currently trying to do this? I ask because whatever encoding I have set in View/Encoding in Internet Explorer, it always comes out as Western European on the screen.

I\'ll put a note about this in Bugs as well.

Note added 1051 pm

I have now realized that this only affects the KudoZ pages, not the home page or the forums.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-12-09 22:52 ]
Collapse

Endre Both
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Another Unicode problem, this time everywhere Dec 11, 2002

...on the Proz homepage, on the \"See more questions\" page and on the Kudoz page:

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/325512

Interestingly, on the Kudoz page, this only affects the question, not the answers.

Endre

EB Communications

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-12-11 11:04
... See more
...on the Proz homepage, on the \"See more questions\" page and on the Kudoz page:

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/325512

Interestingly, on the Kudoz page, this only affects the question, not the answers.

Endre

EB Communications

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-12-11 11:04 ]
Collapse

Hermann Bruns
English to German
New display problem unique? Dec 11, 2002

Helle Endre,

did you see this more than once? The questions sent before and after seem to be OK.

I looked at the data, and the data seem to have been entered in the way they are displayed, or the browser used to enter the question has treated the special characters differently than the Internet Explorer does.

Hermann

Endre Both
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
True Dec 11, 2002

This seems to be the only question affected. Maybe a copy-and-paste operation gone wrong? Or, as you say, an unusual browser. I\'m really curious, but in any case, you and Proz seem to have nothing to do with it.

Sorry for the alarm, in the future I\'ll wait to see if problems happen more than once.

Endre

EB Communications

Hermann Bruns
English to German
No problem Dec 11, 2002

Hi Endre,

thank you for letting us know, because we learn from it.

Actually, I have no idea what went wrong, but I have seen the strange character encoding already, but under a completely different circumstances (another Windows program). And it surely had to do with conversion problems where Unicode was involved.

Hermann

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unicode characters on the homepage

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »