Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
المملكة المتحدة
Local time: 09:29
روسي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
احياء لذكرى
Feb 16, 2003

Take a look at KudoZ question 351202, English > Haitian-Creole. I made a comment headed \"Not an answer\", correcting one letter of the English. I got two agrees.

There were four answers, two of which gave a Haitian-Creole version, and one of these two also got two agrees. The robot gave the points to me, presumably because mine was timed earlier.

This is manifestly unfair. Could not the robot be programmed to ignore replies headed \"not an answer\"? This is already a fa
... See more
Take a look at KudoZ question 351202, English > Haitian-Creole. I made a comment headed \"Not an answer\", correcting one letter of the English. I got two agrees.

There were four answers, two of which gave a Haitian-Creole version, and one of these two also got two agrees. The robot gave the points to me, presumably because mine was timed earlier.

This is manifestly unfair. Could not the robot be programmed to ignore replies headed \"not an answer\"? This is already a fairly standard heading when people do not want their answers to be considered for points, and could be more so if this were publicized.
Collapse

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
لوكسمبورغ
Local time: 10:29
ألماني إلى روماني
+ ...
Maybe you can use the Request info field Feb 16, 2003

for making notes and your intention is not to give an answer. This is what people usually do in the En-De pair. This way the problem is solved and the robot does not have to be reprogrammed.

Carlos Moreno
Carlos Moreno  Identity Verified
كولومبيا
Local time: 03:29
أنجليزي إلى إسباني
+ ...
Agree... Feb 16, 2003

4 points for Jack and Elvira!

CHENOUMI (X)
CHENOUMI (X)  Identity Verified
أنجليزي إلى فرنسي
+ ...
Not the first time.... ;(( Feb 17, 2003

Dear Jack,

I agree with your comments. Just bear in mind that a robot is no match for human intelligence, and consequently, we should not expect reasonable decisions from an automated object, created as a substitute for human reasoning.

On the other hand, it can be argued that if there are not enough translators participating in their peer judgment, this factor constitutes another reason why KudoZ points are attributed to the first translator giving an answer,
... See more
Dear Jack,

I agree with your comments. Just bear in mind that a robot is no match for human intelligence, and consequently, we should not expect reasonable decisions from an automated object, created as a substitute for human reasoning.

On the other hand, it can be argued that if there are not enough translators participating in their peer judgment, this factor constitutes another reason why KudoZ points are attributed to the first translator giving an answer, regardless of the relevancy or quality of such an answer.

Another point worth mentioning is that some translators give their peer grading agreement too quickly and without sound judgment. In my humble opinion, they should refrain from doing so when the answer is merely a comment to a question or adds nothing to the debate. There is always the option of adding one\'s own comment as a way of responding and/or participating without hurting the process and precluding translators from getting a well-deserved gratification.

This random KudoZ \"robotization\" is not a first-time occurrence. It is also noticeably frequent in other language combinations, particularly EN > FR.

Had I had a third peer grading, I would have certainly gotten the point.

I do appreciate your graciousness, and thank you for your participation.

ProZ is a great site anyway.

C H E E R S !!

**Sandra**
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Random Robot gets it wrong again

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »