Emilija Ivanovska  Identity Verified
米国
Local time: 18:59
英語 から マケドニア語
+ ...
Disagree Sep 10, 2007

Maria Karra wrote:

Sherefedin MUSTAFA wrote:

Dear Henry, Enrique, Said, Maria, Elena, Gabriela, Victor, Biljana, Emilija....

Do you all agree if I resume and propose:

Language name (English version): Macedonian
Country name (English version): Macedonia (FYROM).

Thank you.

Sherefedin

Language name (English version): Macedonian (MK) (add ISO code if we add it to other languages too)
Country name (English version): FYROM
or where there is space: The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia.

Sorry to disagree Maria, but FYROM is not a country name, but rather an acronym.

[Уредено на 2007-09-10 22:15]

Elena Petelos
Elena Petelos  Identity Verified
英国
Local time: 23:59
英語 から ギリシャ語
+ ...
I am thinking about it.... Sep 10, 2007

Said Kaljanac a.k.a. SARAJ wrote:

I am sorry, but I am not going to go through this once again. As you pointed it out, as a linguist I am telling you that there is no other LANGUAGE called Macedonian than the Slavic one. Now think about it.

and I'm wondering what the problem was in the first 6 pages with indulging (since this is what you are treating it us -sheer indulgence- stating what -accrding to you- is so obvious) the request to add this informative bit in the language entry (i.e. "Macedonian (Slavic)").

(btw: I'm sure that as a linguist you have also assessed the similarities, differences, etc. between the language Titus Livius and Errington refer to and Slavic Macedonian.)

Kind regards

El.

Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Sherefedin MUSTAFA
オランダ
Local time: 00:59
オランダ語 から アルバニア語
+ ...
Between antiquity and present Sep 10, 2007

Elena Petelos wrote:

(btw: I'm sure that as a linguist you have also assessed the similarities, differences, etc. between the language Titus Livius and Errington refer to and Slavic Macedonian.)

With all respect for antiquity, let us please focus on the present time.

Thank you.

Said Kaljanac a.k.a. SARAJ
Said Kaljanac a.k.a. SARAJ  Identity Verified
ベルギー
Local time: 00:59
ボスニア語 から フランス語
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Indeed Sep 10, 2007

Elena Petelos wrote:

Said Kaljanac a.k.a. SARAJ wrote:

I am sorry, but I am not going to go through this once again. As you pointed it out, as a linguist I am telling you that there is no other LANGUAGE called Macedonian than the Slavic one. Now think about it.

and I'm wondering what the problem was in the first 6 pages with indulging (since this is what you are treating it us -sheer indulgence- stating what -accrding to you- is so obvious) the request to add this informative bit in the language entry (i.e. "Macedonian (Slavic)").

Kind regards

El.

Indeed, when it comes to ancient languages, then we add something, not to present languages, unless there are two or more same denominations currently used.

The same goes with Greek. Ancient Greek and simply Greek.

So if you need a translation into Ancient Macedonian, no one will think that it is present Slavic Macedonian.

NB it is still not proven if an ancient Macedonian language existed or if it was simply a form of ANcient Greek or even of another language, and those are not my words, but something that we learn at the university in linguistics.

NB 2 One of my colleagues who is born Greek, who is Greek, has Greek nationality who teaches Orthodox religion and linguistics, etymology and translation at the university of Mons in Belgium says that there is no such thing as a Greek Macedonian language and that there were only dialects in Greek Macedonia, like Doric.

Now let's see what says Britannica:

In Greece the groups divided into tribes were distinct by location, dialect, and tradition, and they included the Ionians, Dorians, Achaeans, and Aetolians.

And Wiki:

The Dorians (Greek: Δωριεῖς, Dōrieis, singular Δωριεύς, Dōrieus) were one of the principal ancient Greek tribes, the other three being the Achaeans, the Ionians and the Aeolians. They were distinguished by the Doric Greek dialect and by characteristic society and historical traditions. Traditional accounts place their origins in the north, north-eastern mountainous regions of Greece, ancient Macedonia and Epirus

-------
So why all the fuss about the current Macedonian language?

[Edited at 2007-09-10 22:32]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 18:59
サイトの創立者
Closing the thread Sep 10, 2007

Thanks for the feedback on the country name. We will change it.

I am locking the thread. Please do not reopen this issue. Thanks for your understanding!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Macedonian vs Macedonian conceptual conflict

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »