Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: What is the most annoying thing about your favorite CAT tool?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:58
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
processing time Jun 3, 2018

When uploading a large TM or exporting a large translation, Wordfast can take rather a long time.
Last week, I was getting quite nervous waiting for a translation to be exported as I was trying to deliver by the end of the week and had a train to catch...

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
other Jun 3, 2018

missing features, not customizable enough

For example, for the game I'm translating right now (in memoQ) I would like to be able
a) to see the amount of characters within a text passage I select with the mouse, and
b) get an error warning when there are more than 60 characters between line break tags
on the fly while working.

Oh, and they really should fix the idiotic "toggle case" blunder

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 15:58
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Incompatibility Jun 4, 2018

(1) No option for 'I don't use CAT tools'
Even though I'm an avid Trados (the de facto CAT tool here in Japan) user, I find it quite chauvinistic that non-users are always left out of the translators' 'fold.' CAT tools are just unsuitable for some types of translation but indispensable for others. For example, I'm a tech translator and I translate for industry. A CAT tool is a must.
We call all get along together. I just hope that non-users are included in the equation in the future
... See more
(1) No option for 'I don't use CAT tools'
Even though I'm an avid Trados (the de facto CAT tool here in Japan) user, I find it quite chauvinistic that non-users are always left out of the translators' 'fold.' CAT tools are just unsuitable for some types of translation but indispensable for others. For example, I'm a tech translator and I translate for industry. A CAT tool is a must.
We call all get along together. I just hope that non-users are included in the equation in the future.

(2) Incompatibility
I'm referring here to 'incompatibility with other programs.' The biggest problem I'm having right now with Trados is Norton Utilities. When you optimize and/or clean up files, Norton automatically removes temporary files from Google, etc. and 'etc.' here is apparently including Trados temporary files. So, the next time I start up Trados a message pops up on screen "Cannot find _____ temporary file. Search for file?" I wouldn't even know where to begin to look because it is most likely embedded really deep in a system folder or somewhere, so I have to skip this step. I can translate here OK but my clients can't clean up because this temporary file is not included in the return package or something along those lines. This is becoming a huge pain and problem. And, I have not found or heard of any Trados fixes or Help saying that optimize and/or clean up operations in antivirus or utility software like Norton Utilities should not be performed.
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:58
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
MemoQ Bugs Jun 4, 2018

Of course the price is a big issue both in MemoQ and Trados, as we all somehow feel we're paying more than the thing is worth, for sure.
Of course the tags are a big annoyance in any CAT, and I take time to erase them all in my TM's, making them a lot better.
But since I use MemoQ, the biggest issue of all is something that has been happening lately, and no one in Kilgray or anywhere else was able to explain it so far.
The software, all of a sudden, starts using 6 GBytes of my
... See more
Of course the price is a big issue both in MemoQ and Trados, as we all somehow feel we're paying more than the thing is worth, for sure.
Of course the tags are a big annoyance in any CAT, and I take time to erase them all in my TM's, making them a lot better.
But since I use MemoQ, the biggest issue of all is something that has been happening lately, and no one in Kilgray or anywhere else was able to explain it so far.
The software, all of a sudden, starts using 6 GBytes of my memory, out of the blue, and becomes impossible to use. I have to close the CAT and restart or reboot the computer. It makes no sense. I've already opened two tickets in Kilgray, and they are totally lost in it, trying to blame it on my system.
If this issue is not resolved until my license expires (November), I'm moving to Trados/Studio without thinking twice.
I just hope many people with the same issue have their licenses expired before mine and switch or don't renew their licenses, so that Kilgray will solve the issue. So far, they are pretending it's not their problem.
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
imposition! Jun 4, 2018

I don't have a favourite CAT tool. I've used several. Transit was the worst, but mainly because the client imposed stupid termino checks that meant a lot of time wasting.

What I hate is when clients make you use a CAT tool for something where there will never be many benefits. This is very often the case for the type of text I translate, where creative flair is important. Finding a new way to translate some jaded source text is usually much appreciated. Clients have been known to t
... See more
I don't have a favourite CAT tool. I've used several. Transit was the worst, but mainly because the client imposed stupid termino checks that meant a lot of time wasting.

What I hate is when clients make you use a CAT tool for something where there will never be many benefits. This is very often the case for the type of text I translate, where creative flair is important. Finding a new way to translate some jaded source text is usually much appreciated. Clients have been known to then back-translate my text to improve their source file.

MemoQ doesn't seem to understand about GB spelling, which annoys me no end.
Déjà Vu wouldn't always let me chop and change the segmentation. Changing the segmentation is always fiddly no matter which CAT tool I have used.

And with all of them, you have to still proofread the exported file because tags wreak havoc with spacing and formatting. Also, once the text has been freed of the CAT tool interface, I might end up changing the entire order of sentences in a paragraph, or realising that some little bits were in fact options in a menu rather than sub-titles, so they need to be translated differently.
Collapse

Henriette Saffron (X)
Henriette Saffron (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Other - I don't use CAT tools. Jun 4, 2018

Jack Doughty wrote:

I have no CAT tools at all.
There should be an option "I do not use CAT tools". I like to see how many of us dinosaurs still exist.

I am also a dinosaur.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:58
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jurassic Park! Jun 4, 2018

I'm surprised with all the dinos. I just came back to tell you I used to be a T-Rex, not only reluctant against the CATs, but in a sort of campaing against them, for a good while.
In 2014, a great friend and renouned Brazilian translator, Marcelo Trovão, gave me a MemoQ license free of charge, and convinced me to try it. And I never lived without a CAT any more.
Before I tried it, I had already tried Trados and Wordfast (in two different years - client requirement), and I found the
... See more
I'm surprised with all the dinos. I just came back to tell you I used to be a T-Rex, not only reluctant against the CATs, but in a sort of campaing against them, for a good while.
In 2014, a great friend and renouned Brazilian translator, Marcelo Trovão, gave me a MemoQ license free of charge, and convinced me to try it. And I never lived without a CAT any more.
Before I tried it, I had already tried Trados and Wordfast (in two different years - client requirement), and I found them both terrible and time-wasting. I uninstalled them both and went on without the CATs. Only with MemoQ, I actually read the manual, watched some videos, and learned how the thing works.
I aligned pairs of former translations, since 2010, and spent a lot of time building my TMs and TBs.
After that, the CAT became a blessing in my life. With the CAT, I am able to translate almost 50% more than before, type 50% less than before (predictive typing), and do 50% less research for terms I have translated before. And, against all odds, the quality of my translations increased a lot.
So think about it, Dinos. Think hard, because we switched from the typewriter to the computer, from the fixed phone to the cell phone, from the horse to the car, etc. Being reluctant to use a CAT is excluding yourself from the market in a very near future.
"From the horse to the car"? Why did you mention this?
Because non-CAT users competing against CAT users in the market will very soon perform like a horserider running against a car. Beware.

[Edited at 2018-06-04 16:39 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What is the most annoying thing about your favorite CAT tool?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »