Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: What kind of music do you listen to while working?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 13:29
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Classical or heavy metal Dec 13, 2007

I'll either be listening to "classical" music - anything except for actual classical music (i.e. Mozart and Haydn) and Italian opera, neither of which I can stand for more than something like...oh...5 seconds - or heavy metal.

If it's classical, it'll usually be baroque or earlier (what they usually call "early music") - Bach, Rameau, de Victoria, Machaut, Purcell, Monteverdi, Willaert, Perotin, Ockeghem, Dufay, Gesualdo, des Prez, etc. Otherwise it'll probably be Shostakovich, S
... See more
I'll either be listening to "classical" music - anything except for actual classical music (i.e. Mozart and Haydn) and Italian opera, neither of which I can stand for more than something like...oh...5 seconds - or heavy metal.

If it's classical, it'll usually be baroque or earlier (what they usually call "early music") - Bach, Rameau, de Victoria, Machaut, Purcell, Monteverdi, Willaert, Perotin, Ockeghem, Dufay, Gesualdo, des Prez, etc. Otherwise it'll probably be Shostakovich, Stravinsky, Mahler, Schumann, Debussy, Fauré (mostly his songs), Britten, or a bunch others.

If it's heavy metal, all bets are off. There's some stuff that I absolutely can't stand, but I'm guessing most people aren't interested

However, like a couple of people already said, I can't listen to music while proofreading - it short-circuits my brain.
Collapse

Jocelyne S
Jocelyne S  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:29
French to English
+ ...
Ditto Dec 13, 2007

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

No music, ever. Either I'm working or I'm listening to music - not both.

I talk out loud whilst proofreading, but otherwise it's total silence for me.

Best,
Jocelyne

Izabela Szczypka
Izabela Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Polish
+ ...
Other Dec 13, 2007

Usually the radio is on, but I don't hear anything while concentrating so I can't say what's on. Waste of electricity, in fact.

Olga Arakelyan
Olga Arakelyan  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:29
English to Russian
+ ...
no music but no absolute silence Dec 13, 2007

I don't normally listen to music while translating, but with an active little daughter I really can't even dream of absolute silence. At first it distracted me, but I got used to it. Now I can work and talk to her at the same time (especially if I am doing a more or less simple text).

Angeliki Papadopoulou
Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 23:29
English to Greek
+ ...
Music in the office... Dec 13, 2007

...total silence at home.

In the office there are too many distractions. Someone at the door, the other girls chattering or spending an eternity on the phone talking, the boss shouting and so on - well, all I can say is thank heaven for MP3 players!

Music can range from trans to Mozart, Vivaldi and Beethoven - the louder, the better.

At home (fortunately I live in a quiet neighborhood) I like it quiet. If I decide to listen to music, then it's classicfm.co.
... See more
...total silence at home.

In the office there are too many distractions. Someone at the door, the other girls chattering or spending an eternity on the phone talking, the boss shouting and so on - well, all I can say is thank heaven for MP3 players!

Music can range from trans to Mozart, Vivaldi and Beethoven - the louder, the better.

At home (fortunately I live in a quiet neighborhood) I like it quiet. If I decide to listen to music, then it's classicfm.co.uk!
Collapse

Fiamma Lolli
Fiamma Lolli
Italy
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
it depends from the season... Dec 13, 2007

In the summer, windows open and birds singing. But if it is too cold, jazz or music with lyrics in a language I do not understand at all: so nothing sung in Spanish, in English, in Portuguese, in French, in German... or in Italian !

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Cutting out background noise Dec 13, 2007

I was thinking a bit more about what I said about needing to eliminate background sounds, and I realise that I am a lot better at ignoring them since I've had my children... you have no choice but to have the noise around, but the work is still to be done. However, despite the fact that you apparently aren't listening to the noise they are making, your emergency antenna always kick in if there's a scream communicating "I really have hurt myself this time, this is not just a ploy for attention...... See more
I was thinking a bit more about what I said about needing to eliminate background sounds, and I realise that I am a lot better at ignoring them since I've had my children... you have no choice but to have the noise around, but the work is still to be done. However, despite the fact that you apparently aren't listening to the noise they are making, your emergency antenna always kick in if there's a scream communicating "I really have hurt myself this time, this is not just a ploy for attention....".

In fact, although silence seems an attractive option, I'n beginning to think that I would find it so strange as to be disquieting (especially since if there is silence from the children, then they are definitely up to no good!).
Collapse

Richard Robinson
Richard Robinson  Identity Verified
Hungarian to English
+ ...
especially Mozart Dec 13, 2007

I read, (ages ago don't ask me where) that educationalists had found that people tend to learn more effectively when classical music, especially Mozart, is being played.

Translation is not exactly the same as 'learning' but I do find Mozart a great help. In his music there is something both energising and calming; it's athletic music that seems to fill me with fresh air. (But nothing featuring the human voice - that throws me completely.) However, we have moods - there are times wh
... See more
I read, (ages ago don't ask me where) that educationalists had found that people tend to learn more effectively when classical music, especially Mozart, is being played.

Translation is not exactly the same as 'learning' but I do find Mozart a great help. In his music there is something both energising and calming; it's athletic music that seems to fill me with fresh air. (But nothing featuring the human voice - that throws me completely.) However, we have moods - there are times when I need music to wake me up, and in fact most of the time I translate in silence because I'm so wrapped up in my work I don't even notice whether or not there is music.

Perhaps a related issue is the fact that today music is everywhere, and I regret this. I love music and used to yearn for it, now I often find myself yearning to get away from other people's choice of music. My ears have lost their virginity...

[Edited at 2007-12-13 09:47]

[Edited at 2007-12-13 09:48]
Collapse

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 13:29
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Haha, lovely! Dec 13, 2007

(especially since if there is silence from the children, then they are definitely up to no good!).

If there ever was a sixth sense, we've just seen it at work...

Catherine Shepherd
Catherine Shepherd  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Music creates the mood Dec 13, 2007

I know it might sound silly but if I'm translating into English, it helps if I listen to music in English. I creates the context and I can think better in that language.

And if it's into Spanish I try to listen to music in Spanish (although there aren't many Spanish singers I really like, unfortunately).

Instrumental music is valid for any language, of course!! In this sense I prefer classical and Celtic music.

Oema (X)
Oema (X)
Suriname
Local time: 17:29
Dutch to English
+ ...
Absolutely cannot work without music Dec 13, 2007

I absolutely cannot work without music. Can't live without it! I get distracted when it is silent. I am a big big fan of the fantastic group IL DIVO, which is crossover music (pop sung in opera voice) and their music lifts my spirits and makes me happy, and it also makes my fingers fly over the keyboards. Sometimes I put on my mix playlist that has all kinds of music in it, from classical to rock to golden oldies. I find that sometimes I finish work in less time than I would need if it was just ... See more
I absolutely cannot work without music. Can't live without it! I get distracted when it is silent. I am a big big fan of the fantastic group IL DIVO, which is crossover music (pop sung in opera voice) and their music lifts my spirits and makes me happy, and it also makes my fingers fly over the keyboards. Sometimes I put on my mix playlist that has all kinds of music in it, from classical to rock to golden oldies. I find that sometimes I finish work in less time than I would need if it was just silent. The music puts me in good spirits and, as a result, I can work very fast, singing along, too (just in my own key which is actually never the right key, haha).
No music when I proofread, though. Weird, huh?
Collapse

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Different situations for different tasks Dec 13, 2007

I enjoy listening to the radio (via internet, rock oriented stations) when translating, it does not interfere with what I am doing. On the opposite, I need absolute silence when spell checking/proofreading, so I put silicone earplugs on to shut all noises out.
Gianni

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
What kind of music do you listen to while working? Dec 13, 2007

Doom, Black and Death Metal...

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Rhythm and schmooze - Powwow tip Dec 13, 2007

I always found that that radio "gets in my face" at my desk, so no Internet radio there. However, Klaus Hermann told me at the 'rocking' Düsseldorf Powwow that he finds the rhythm speeds up his work.

And it's quite nice to have some sound in the background, so that you can concentrate but don't feel you are living in a "vacuum."

I recently discovered an Internet radio device that sits downstairs and plugs into my Hif-Fi. It can pick up over 6,000 stations controlled by
... See more
I always found that that radio "gets in my face" at my desk, so no Internet radio there. However, Klaus Hermann told me at the 'rocking' Düsseldorf Powwow that he finds the rhythm speeds up his work.

And it's quite nice to have some sound in the background, so that you can concentrate but don't feel you are living in a "vacuum."

I recently discovered an Internet radio device that sits downstairs and plugs into my Hif-Fi. It can pick up over 6,000 stations controlled by a handheld device (6 preset buttons), and it accesses these from a server via my wireless router. Doubles as an alarm clock and - for reasons you can probably guess - is the most accurate clock in the house. The quality is not always "full HiFi" because it obviously depends on the streaming speed of the station. It can be a bit "boomy and "thumpy" (Jerzy take note). Try Googling "Internet radio devices" for your country or mail me for the URL so I don't 'smacked' for advertising.

The cheapest I could find cost about €100, although they can cost a lot more. and you can buy them with/without speakers.

My favourites are 'radiosorrento.com' which is an eclectic range of music. Everything from Pavarotti to pop classics (it's surprising how many have been translated into Italian) and 'nostalgie rock legend' (again probably one for you, Jerzy - Abba, Queen etc).

So thanks to Klaus, my rhythm rocks (I must ask him whether waltz, bossanova, hip-hop or Irish folk music are best.

Chris

[Edited at 2007-12-13 11:57]
Collapse

elen_d
elen_d
English to French
+ ...
no music at all Dec 13, 2007

"I need absolute silence while translating 44.9%"
Cristina Golab wrote:

I cannot translate while listening to music. It totally distracts me.

Glad to see I'm not alone in that situation

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What kind of music do you listen to while working?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »