Learning Dari as an English speaker. How?
Thread poster: US EXPAT
US EXPAT
US EXPAT
English
Jun 15, 2008

American wanting to do business in Afghanistan, am confused if Farsi Rosetta Stone is purchased will it be = to Dari? Need advise/guidance, please.

There is no real quality software, that I've found at least (would greatly appreciate suggestions), on learning Dari, however there are with Farsi. Some research is telling me they're roughly the same language, and if I learn Farsi it's essentially the equivalent of Dari - thus I'll be able to speak Dari. There is other research tellin
... See more
American wanting to do business in Afghanistan, am confused if Farsi Rosetta Stone is purchased will it be = to Dari? Need advise/guidance, please.

There is no real quality software, that I've found at least (would greatly appreciate suggestions), on learning Dari, however there are with Farsi. Some research is telling me they're roughly the same language, and if I learn Farsi it's essentially the equivalent of Dari - thus I'll be able to speak Dari. There is other research telling me Farsi and Dari are distinct and that learning Farsi will not allow me to speak Dari. In sum, I am confused, would appreciate guidance and insight into learning the Dari language. I want to do business in Afghanistan as an American Expat, sincerely want to help the people and their great country. I toured it last year to some extent, albeit via Gov. means, but was able to get a feel for the people/country. Afghanistan is a great country with good people and I'd appreciate if I can firmly begin this process - but first need to learn the language.

Also, would it be wiser to learn Pashto rather than Dari? This question has been nagging me.

Thank you for your time.

US EXPAT
Collapse

Peter Manda (X)
Peter Manda (X)
Local time: 16:05
German to English
+ ...
dari / pashto Jun 15, 2008

Learning farsi will give you the grammatical and linguistic structural basis for speaking dari. in effect, it's like learning british english to work in a particular US region. My suggestion would be to take up the Farsi tapes/software and learn the rudiments of Farsi and then take up any of several Dari vocabulary lists / books that are now on the market to learn the nuances. With Farsi, you will be able to communicate and make yourself understood by any Dari speaker; though the reverse may not... See more
Learning farsi will give you the grammatical and linguistic structural basis for speaking dari. in effect, it's like learning british english to work in a particular US region. My suggestion would be to take up the Farsi tapes/software and learn the rudiments of Farsi and then take up any of several Dari vocabulary lists / books that are now on the market to learn the nuances. With Farsi, you will be able to communicate and make yourself understood by any Dari speaker; though the reverse may not be true, because of the linguistic nuances (see example above). Nothing will replace, however, being actually in the envrionment.

As for Pashtu/Pashtun, my understanding is that the language is once more removed from Farsi and that it is a stand-alone language requiring stand-alone training. As to which language you learn will depend primarily on your work. Will you be involved in civil works projects in primarily rural communities where Pashtun is the main language spoken?; or, will you be working in Herat or one of the other larger cities where Dari is the main language spoken.

Ascertaining the languages spoken in the area where you will be working and the needs of those with whom you will be communicating with, will go a long way toward answering your questions.

Why the pseudonym?

[Edited at 2008-06-15 23:03]
Collapse

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 13:05
English to Arabic
+ ...
Interactive Dari self-training software = www.alelo.com Jun 16, 2008

Greetings.

You might visit this site [ http://www.alelo.com ] and ask about a civilian / commercial version of the "Tactical Dari" interactive software for self-training - albeit mostly for everyday / functional / "tactical" applications -- in the Dari language and associated Afghan culture.

I understand that civilian versions of both "Tactical Dari" and "Tactical Pashto" either now exist
... See more
Greetings.

You might visit this site [ http://www.alelo.com ] and ask about a civilian / commercial version of the "Tactical Dari" interactive software for self-training - albeit mostly for everyday / functional / "tactical" applications -- in the Dari language and associated Afghan culture.

I understand that civilian versions of both "Tactical Dari" and "Tactical Pashto" either now exist or will soon become available to non-US Government customers. Details on released / soon-to-be-released products may also be available at this URL: < http:/support.tacticallanguage.com >.

Some other commercial materials on learning some Dari are around, but they tend to be phrasebooks, grammars, or guidebooks with small sections on basics of the language at the back.

In view of your professional interest in using Dari, may I suggest that you don't waste your time, brain cells, or money on Rosetta Stone. That aside, the new Pimsleur (spelling?) product on Persian (Farsi) = Dari is reportedly well designed and useful for travellers, tourists and businesspeople.

If you are located in the US or Canada, if you want to get some practical experience/exercise in using and reinforcing your new skills in the Dari language and Afghan cultures, you would benefit by spending 2-3 weeks among the sizable Afghan-American ethnic and business communities in central and southern California (in Los Angeles, Orange and San Diego counties).

There is a small firm in Orange, California which specializes in designing language and cultural training programs that include such immersions / "isommersion" experiences (the firm has done that for several years for customers -- mostly military linguists and others who need to get smart and functional quickly -- from entitities of the US Government).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California

[Edited at 2008-06-16 19:26]
Collapse

Alp Berker
Alp Berker  Identity Verified
United States
Turkish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
It looks like the final version of Dari isn't out yet Jun 17, 2008

Though if you go to the website at http://www.alelo.com/tactical_language.html
You might be able to get the Beta, and get an idea when the final version would become available (The tactical language people should be able to answer the final release date through.
US_PAT, if you are interested in the downloads, please contact me privately through email and I can elaborate further if
... See more
Though if you go to the website at http://www.alelo.com/tactical_language.html
You might be able to get the Beta, and get an idea when the final version would become available (The tactical language people should be able to answer the final release date through.
US_PAT, if you are interested in the downloads, please contact me privately through email and I can elaborate further if you are interested in getting the Beta Dari and Pashto.
hope this helps.
Alp Berker
Collapse

Atena Hensch
Atena Hensch  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 08:05
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
Dari vs Persian / Pashtu Jun 17, 2008

Hi there

If you'd like to learn Dari, you have to learn Persian (Iranian version of Farsi) in order to learn systematically. You can find hardly any books that teach you Dari, except there are a few travel books and field workers guides which usually teach some basic language. You may l
... See more
Hi there

If you'd like to learn Dari, you have to learn Persian (Iranian version of Farsi) in order to learn systematically. You can find hardly any books that teach you Dari, except there are a few travel books and field workers guides which usually teach some basic language. You may like to buy this book
http://www.amazon.com/Dari-Dari-English-English-Dari-Dictionary-Phrasebooks/dp/0781809711/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1213688517&sr=8-1

Persian and Dari are the same language but different dialects. For example, consider Swiss German and High German. These two are different languages in speaking, but both are written the same. There is no written Swiss grammar, and people usually learn High German first, and if you live in Switzerland, you will learn the Swiss dialect. So, it's the same with Dari and Persian. Some of the words that are used in Afghanistan are old words which were being used in Iran in the past. In Iran however, the development of the language went through different stages. In Afghanistan, the Pashtu language had an enormous effect on Dari. There are many words in Dari that come from Pashtu. Also, Iran has tendency of translating every foreign words which is not done in Afghanistan.

Sometimes, Iranians pronounce words differently than Afghans. Iranians have a tendency to emphase "A" sounds and while in Afghanistan this sound is unusually pronounced as an "E" sound.

You have to bear in mind that learning a language is one issue, learning the culture is another issue. You need to think about learning the culture as well as language.

You need to know who the people are you are going to work with most. Are you going to work with Pashtuns, Hazarah or Tajik? Are you going to work in Kabul or Herat? Are you going to work in Government or not? Who are your audiences? Will women be a majority of your clients or not?

These are the questions that you need to know before starting or choosing between Dari and Pashtu. Let's say the majority of your audiences are women who did not have the chance to go to school and have never been in Iran either – then they might not understand a Persian speaker easily.

In government usually people can speak both Pashtu and Dari.

Have a look here , please
http://www.proz.com/forum/linguistic_diversity/86800-farsi_dari_tajiki:_a_trio_to_deal_with.html

Regards
Atena
Collapse

Atena Hensch
Atena Hensch  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 08:05
+ ...
add Jun 17, 2008

I have to add there are so many words in Dari that Iranian would never herad of and vice versa. There is a book published less than 2 years ago about it.

Edward Plaisance Jr
Edward Plaisance Jr  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
+ ...
Help for Dari Jun 18, 2008

Assuming it is Dari you want, I would have to second the various suggestions here on starting with Persian, since it is the most available unless you want some really personalized training.

I am American and learned Persian in Iran and have been to Afghanistan and interacted with Afghans and would compare it to communicating with Brits from certain parts of the UK.

There are a number of websites such as
<
... See more
Assuming it is Dari you want, I would have to second the various suggestions here on starting with Persian, since it is the most available unless you want some really personalized training.

I am American and learned Persian in Iran and have been to Afghanistan and interacted with Afghans and would compare it to communicating with Brits from certain parts of the UK.

There are a number of websites such as

http://gloss.lingnet.org/searchresources.aspx

The above site is good because you can read and listen to the text.
The sites below have text and audio files you can download, but not audio of the text.

http://www.azadiradio.org/da_default.asp
http://www.radiofarda.com/
http://www.radiofarda.com/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/persian/afghanistan/

where you can read and listen to both.
Collapse

US EXPAT
US EXPAT
English
TOPIC STARTER
A sincere thank you. Jun 19, 2008

I want to thank you all for your time & efforts, your insight is most appreciated and confirmed what I need to do to go forward with the language. Again, thanks.

Fyi, I am currently in Iraq with the Gov, thus the requirement for the pseudonym.

Dari is not persain! Jun 8, 2011

well if you have any questions in translation let me know. I'm actually from Kabul Afghanistan. but i have done my graduation in India and now studying engineering in U.S. so I'm fluent in both English and Farsi(Dari). Persian is Iranian version of Farsi. its more like the polite version but honestly sometimes i don't understand what they are talking about either. so i guess its alil bit harder than Dari(Farsi). Dari is pronounced just the way you write it. its simple and easy.

oh
... See more
well if you have any questions in translation let me know. I'm actually from Kabul Afghanistan. but i have done my graduation in India and now studying engineering in U.S. so I'm fluent in both English and Farsi(Dari). Persian is Iranian version of Farsi. its more like the polite version but honestly sometimes i don't understand what they are talking about either. so i guess its alil bit harder than Dari(Farsi). Dari is pronounced just the way you write it. its simple and easy.

oh and pashtu is extremely hard. while everyone in Afghanistan speaks Dari, only certain people speaks pashtu. its like learning french just becoz you are going to Canada.
Collapse

m_a
m_a
dari and farsi Jun 10, 2011

Hello,

Anybody with this question in mind does not need to worry which to learn. Dari and Farsi are pretty much the same language if spoken formal. If you are to take a course or learning software you will be thought the language as it is in the books so you can choose either and people will understand you. Even if you learn Iranian Farsi if spoken formal it will be a lot like Dari because Dari is straight forward you speak as you write but if you speak slang Farsi it will be with a
... See more
Hello,

Anybody with this question in mind does not need to worry which to learn. Dari and Farsi are pretty much the same language if spoken formal. If you are to take a course or learning software you will be thought the language as it is in the books so you can choose either and people will understand you. Even if you learn Iranian Farsi if spoken formal it will be a lot like Dari because Dari is straight forward you speak as you write but if you speak slang Farsi it will be with a bit of dialect, some might find it hard to understand in Afghanistan.
The main difference between Dari and Farsi is in the pronunciation.. it is a bit like Great British English and American English.
People in Afghanistan are generally kind so it shouldn't be a problem at all if you speak with an iranian accent in case you don't find Dari learning software/course, whichever step you take its one step forward and once you have the basic skills you will develop your speaking further as you communicate with the local residents.
In Afganistan all residents should be able to speak both Dari and Pushto as these are the two major languages and they are both thought in schools. I would recommend learning Dari first especially if you are going to be based in the capital and this will also make the learning of Pushto easier if you are intending to speak Pushto.

I hope this helps

US EXPAT wrote:

There is no real quality software, that I've found at least (would greatly appreciate suggestions), on learning Dari, however there are with Farsi. Some research is telling me they're roughly the same language, and if I learn Farsi it's essentially the equivalent of Dari - thus I'll be able to speak Dari. There is other research telling me Farsi and Dari are distinct and that learning Farsi will not allow me to speak Dari. In sum, I am confused, would appreciate guidance and insight into learning the Dari language. I want to do business in Afghanistan as an American Expat, sincerely want to help the people and their great country. I toured it last year to some extent, albeit via Gov. means, but was able to get a feel for the people/country. Afghanistan is a great country with good people and I'd appreciate if I can firmly begin this process - but first need to learn the language.

Also, would it be wiser to learn Pashto rather than Dari? This question has been nagging me.

Thank you for your time.

US EXPAT
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Learning Dari as an English speaker. How?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »