Language certifications (English and Serbian)
Thread poster: Sara Polidoro
Sara Polidoro
Sara Polidoro  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:18
Serbian to Italian
+ ...
Jun 11, 2013

Hello,

I would like to ask your opinion about the best language certifications for translators and interpreters. In other words, what are the most useful certifications to get if you have not a degree in a given language?

After my studies in Translation and Liaison Interpreting (BA) and Conference interpreting (MA) in French and Russian (I am Italian native speaker) I have added English and Serbian (and Croatian) to my language combinations.

Although I rec
... See more
Hello,

I would like to ask your opinion about the best language certifications for translators and interpreters. In other words, what are the most useful certifications to get if you have not a degree in a given language?

After my studies in Translation and Liaison Interpreting (BA) and Conference interpreting (MA) in French and Russian (I am Italian native speaker) I have added English and Serbian (and Croatian) to my language combinations.

Although I receive jobs for EN>IT and SRB/HR>IT, due to the importance of English and my presence in Western Balkans, I thought it might be helpful to get a certification for these two languages. This way I think I could also get the credentials for Proz.

Can you suggest some good English certifications? I think IELTS can be a good one, is it?

What about Serbian? I could get a certification at the Faculty of Philology in Belgrade or Novi Sad but I know some private schools deliver certifications at lower prices, still recognized by these two institutions. What would you suggest?

Thanks in advance,
Sara
Collapse

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:18
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Chartered Institute of Linguists Jun 11, 2013

Dear Sara,

There are probably many more options, but it may be worth looking at the Chartered Institute of Linguists examinations. There are a range of different exams in different languages and you don't have to go to London to take them. Unfortunately the fees are quite expensive, but the qualifications are widely recognised.
<
... See more
Dear Sara,

There are probably many more options, but it may be worth looking at the Chartered Institute of Linguists examinations. There are a range of different exams in different languages and you don't have to go to London to take them. Unfortunately the fees are quite expensive, but the qualifications are widely recognised.

http://www.iol.org.uk/qualifications/comparisonchart.asp

[Edited at 2013-06-11 14:23 GMT]
Collapse

Sara Polidoro
Sara Polidoro  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:18
Serbian to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot! Jun 11, 2013

Thank you, Helen!

It looks like a very, very good option. I'll check their programmes and fees.

Have a nice day,
Sara

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Language certifications (English and Serbian)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »