Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How to copy all terms from a personal glossary?
Thread poster: Mooyae Choi
Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:51
English to French
+ ...
Dreaming? Nov 20, 2010

There is an easy way to do it, but I would rather ask - and pay - the author for his work. I understand everything we put in here is for free use, but I make a difference in getting help once in a while and getting the hold on such a large glossary. I remember reading somewhere that people can buy the glossaries from Proz and that Proz would pay us some kind of copyright on them. Did I dream it?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:51
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Agree (partially) with Germaine Nov 20, 2010

Germaine wrote:
There is an easy way to do it, but I would rather ask - and pay - the author for his work. I understand everything we put in here is for free use, but I make a difference in getting help once in a while and getting the hold on such a large glossary.

I agree that when gathering data from a community type of site such as ProZ.com, one must ask oneself where on the balance between fair usage and unfair usage one's actions lie. I myself do not believe that any user going through the trouble of offering a 10 000 entry glossary for use by fellow community members had mere occassional use "once in a while" of it in mind... but you may disagree. If the OP abuses his privilege and oversteps an unwritten rule, I'm sure ProZ.com will react.

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:51
German to Spanish
+ ...
How to copy all terms from a personal glossary? Nov 20, 2010

Germaine wrote:

There is an easy way to do it, but I would rather ask - and pay - the author for his work. I understand everything we put in here is for free use, but I make a difference in getting help once in a while and getting the hold on such a large glossary. I remember reading somewhere that people can buy the glossaries from Proz and that Proz would pay us some kind of copyright on them. Did I dream it?

Yes, it is possible but not probably. I have already asked many times to make uploaded glossaries downloadable, at least for the author/uploader. I have uploaded some glossaries in the past, I can not use anymore myself with my own software, because I lost the originals.

Result: I won't share them anymore in the future and will save them in a remote diskspace like dropbox or alike. There I will not have the problem to be able or not to upload or to download any file I want...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to copy all terms from a personal glossary?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »