credentials through testing?
Thread poster: Laura Allison Pomenta
Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 10:17
English to Spanish
Yes, please... Dec 5, 2008

(...) An option may be to allow for the declaration of more than one degree (at the moment only the highest degree achieved is requested), and to allow degrees declared in this field to be verified. How would this work?

A long time ago, many voices clamored for this idea, but alas it was never implemented.

As a translator I'd love to display other degrees, and as a subcontractor I'd find it useful to know up front if a translator has other qualifications useful for the job at hand.

Verification is entirely another matter, and I don't think Proz should get that far since it's a tricky and potentially expensive subject . A simple field to display other non-translation related degrees it's all we're asking.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:17
English to French
+ ...
Being a certified fit tester is not as pertinent as it seems Dec 6, 2008

While I agree that my being a certified fit tester can be useful if I was working in the field of health and safety, I don't agree that it is of use as a translator.

A certified fit tester is basically a person who is qualified to find the right respiratory protection for workers who wear it. The knowledge is limited to figuring out how to make sure a mask fits despite scars, irregular facial features, beards, mustaches and the size and shape of the jaw. It also deals with finding o
... See more
While I agree that my being a certified fit tester can be useful if I was working in the field of health and safety, I don't agree that it is of use as a translator.

A certified fit tester is basically a person who is qualified to find the right respiratory protection for workers who wear it. The knowledge is limited to figuring out how to make sure a mask fits despite scars, irregular facial features, beards, mustaches and the size and shape of the jaw. It also deals with finding out if a person can smell a substance placed directly in front of the cartridge on the mask - in which case the fit needs to be adjusted, obviously. It doesn't deal with the choice of the cartridge or the type of respiratory protection - those decisions are taken by industrial hygienists, who are much more qualified in the more technical stuff, and who also have a broader knowledge of the specific requirements of a construction/sanitation/abatement project.

Being a fit tester doesn't qualify me to pick the type of protection or cartridge used (I don't get to decide if the worker will use assisted protection or just a cartridge mask, for example). It only qualifies me to find the right make, model and size for the worker's facial features.

While I do have fairly good knowledge of the technical aspects of respiratory protection, I don't have any credentials that cover them. I have translated many documents that deal with health and safety (I am busy with a project at the moment which also deals with the subject), but so far, my knowledge of fit testing has been gathering dust more than anything else. Fit testing is much more specific than it may seem to those who are not familiar with it.

I think that the fact that I have translated countless documents that deal with health and safety is much more telling of my translation abilities in the field of health and safety than my fit tester certification.

[Edited at 2008-12-06 09:26 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

credentials through testing?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »