nortranslate (X)
Norway
Local time: 04:32
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Apr 22, 2009

Just an amusing e-mail I got today, April 22nd.:

"Hi,
Greetings from A---- multilingual services Pvt Ltd.
We have a project for Norwegian-English consisting of 47000 words deadline for the same will be by sunday evening.
We can offer a price of USD 0.04 per word and the payment will be made within 45 days after you raise the invoice against the PO raised by us.

please let us know your availability.

awaiting a positive response,

... See more
Just an amusing e-mail I got today, April 22nd.:

"Hi,
We have a project for Norwegian-English consisting of 47000 words deadline for the same will be by sunday evening.
We can offer a price of USD 0.04 per word and the payment will be made within 45 days after you raise the invoice against the PO raised by us.

please let us know your availability.

awaiting a positive response,

Regards,
--------.B"

First they do not want to pay a decent rate, they do not tell me the nature of the text, and still they want me to translate 47000 words by April 26th. That would be almost 12000 words a day.

I don't know about you, and your capacity, but I'm just not that good. Especially not from Norwegian to English.

Of course this is a scam. They are practically telling you that they are trying to screw you.
(needless to say, but this company has been banned from Proz)

[Edited at 2009-04-22 19:56 GMT]
Collapse

liz askew
liz askew  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:32
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
the bionic translator Apr 22, 2009

Well, if anybody could translate 12,000 words a day they would need to be bionic and would have to be paid hell of a lot more

I think I can safely say that this is a ridiculous request!

Byeee

Liz Askew

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
12,000 words a day is possible Apr 22, 2009

In the case of a text with over 80% repetition it would be quite feasible, in fact. If, in addition, all repetitions were paid for at the rate of 4 cents per word, of either dollars or euros, it would not be too bad a deal at all.

Lise Leavitt
Lise Leavitt  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:32
Member (2008)
Danish to English
+ ...
Oh yes! Apr 22, 2009

nortranslate wrote:

"Hi,

I think I know who you are talking about....they have also raised a big storm on TranslatorCafe.

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
If... Apr 22, 2009

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

In the case of a text with over 80% repetition it would be quite feasible, in fact. If, in addition, all repetitions were paid for at the rate of 4 cents per word, of either dollars or euros, it would not be too bad a deal at all.

Really?

If....

A good word

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
I have done such amount 2 times in my life.. Apr 22, 2009

within 24 hours I had to do such project (without cat)
there are some texts where you do not need any dictionary or references.
just starting to press the keys and go on ( but there would be something which will stimulate or motivate you) in my case it was fear
If just for one or two days then it is possible.

But within 4 days everyday to translate such amount definitely impossible
The possibl
... See more
within 24 hours I had to do such project (without cat)
there are some texts where you do not need any dictionary or references.
just starting to press the keys and go on ( but there would be something which will stimulate or motivate you) in my case it was fear
If just for one or two days then it is possible.

But within 4 days everyday to translate such amount definitely impossible
The possible time for ONE translator would be at least 6 days for 47.000 words (but this person after completing it will need to rest at least 24 hours)
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 05:32
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Let's be serious Apr 22, 2009

Or more probably 3 months rehabilitation in an asylum.

M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:
But within 4 days everyday to translate such amount definitely impossible.
The possible time for ONE translator would be at least 6 days for 47.000 words (but this person after completing it will need to rest at least 24 hours)

@ Astrid-

"Never assume anything" (c) Short Business Management Handbook

My addition- especially 80% repetitions paid in full by the Agency from country XXX.

Not to mention that the said outsourcer, going by the BB, apparently isn't intending to pay anybody anything at all.

Uldis

liz askew
liz askew  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
In the case of a text with over 80% repetition Apr 23, 2009

Well, if such a text exists it would need serious editing so that it was much more manageable.

I would think the reader would be bored to tears were such a text to exist.

I could offer to edit the text at a very good price:-)

Liz

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
what? Apr 23, 2009

Lise Leavitt wrote:

I think I know who you are talking about....they have also raised a big storm on TranslatorCafe.

the mention to TC hasn't been deleted yet? Proz's moderators are slacking...

[Edited at 2009-04-23 11:06 GMT]

MLeiria
MLeiria  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Only USD 0.04? Apr 23, 2009

I'm surprised.

If this is the company I'm thinking about, they probably won't pay anyway, so they could as well offer USD 0.40

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Why don't you submit a support ticket, Giovanni? Apr 23, 2009

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

Lise Leavitt wrote:

the mention to TC hasn't been deleted yet? Proz's moderators are slacking...

[Edited at 2009-04-23 11:06 GMT]

And while you're at it, maybe you can also tell them to move this non-OT thread elsewhere

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
"Text" Apr 23, 2009

liz askew wrote:

Well, if such a text exists it would need serious editing so that it was much more manageable.

I would think the reader would be bored to tears were such a text to exist.

I could offer to edit the text at a very good price:-)

Liz

Not everything has a reader. Not everything is a text in any conventional sense. Some materials to be translated are massively repetitive, and are not intended to be read (software localization comes to mind).

Anyway, the "job" in question is surely some sort of scam.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
So how much DO you translate per day? Apr 24, 2009

I'm quite fussy about what I take on from Norwegian. It is usually the sort of thing where a CAT is often useful for terminology and consistency, but the repetitions are not worth counting.

Marketing, that needs to be formulated for the target group, newspaper articles for the general reader and so on. I need to watch out for false friends between Danish and Norwegian, but I never promise to do more than 2000 source words a day, apart from reliable 100% matches.

That gi
... See more
I'm quite fussy about what I take on from Norwegian. It is usually the sort of thing where a CAT is often useful for terminology and consistency, but the repetitions are not worth counting.

Marketing, that needs to be formulated for the target group, newspaper articles for the general reader and so on. I need to watch out for false friends between Danish and Norwegian, but I never promise to do more than 2000 source words a day, apart from reliable 100% matches.

That gives me something like 2200 - 2500 words in English, and it is quite a tough day.

Happy translating folks!
Collapse

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
500 words per hour Apr 24, 2009

I translate into various language pairs, but in my two strongest (EN>ES, ES>EN), on a general text I can do about 500 words per hour (that includes translating and proofreading), so to do 10,000 words I would have to work 20 hours. As I usually translate for about 6-8 hours a day I can do between 3,000 and 4,000 words per day.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How are your capacity? 10000 words/day?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »