Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:25
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
"Advertising agency seeks flying-pink-goat translator" Jun 11, 2009

Tina Vonhof wrote:
Tomas, if you read the list again, flying pink goats are animals and therefore included in the "allowable' list. Indeed, what looks professional is a matter of opinion and I wouldn't want to make it so restrictive that a little humour isn't allowed. It is up to the clients to decide whether they want to entrust a translation job to a flying pink goat.

Some kinds of customers with creative materials might actually prefer the flying-pink-goat translator than the professional-look translator!

(Of course, both translators will need to be good, whether flyingpinkgoating or not).

Laura Bazzurro
Laura Bazzurro  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 03:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Totall agree Jun 11, 2009

Anne Kjaer Iversen wrote:

Hi Katalin,

In my opinion, people can upload whatever they want.

Having said that, I also have to say that I sometimes really wonder why people upload what they upload. Honestly, I find it rather funny that so many want to have non-pro pictures with water/the ocean in the background or that so many of all pictures have been taken on a vacation. I would like to know what the thoughts behind that might be. I also wonder why some people do not upload anything at all... And why some people, mostly women, show off too much skin (to my liking) or upload party pictures.

The worst thing though would have to be pictures of newborns/small babys. I would really love to know why people do that... It is like screaming out loud to potential clients: "I hardly sleep, I get interrupted all the time, I´m exhausted, I am not as focused as I would normally be" ect. ect. And when you at the same time add the word “flexible” or “reliable” to the tagline, I find the paradox to be complete and absolutely hilarious!!

I see a proz profile as a potential job application - and I know I would N-E-V-E-R choose a picture that match any of the descriptions mentioned above to one of my job applications.

But, like I said, it is not my business people can do what they want but I am allowed to wonder.

Have a nice evening!

/Anne

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeking opinions about profile pictures

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »